PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yahoo Sports: Punishment Could Turn Out To Be Laughable

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about they get the refs decent gauges that are not widely divergent in measurements. That would be a better start than this non-sense.

mike greenberg ( mike and mike ) saying the suspension will stand at 4..
And their source says good chance decision is given tomorrow. But I'll believe it when I see it;)

And their source says good chance decision is given tomorrow. But I'll believe it when I see it;)

i dont know how credible stephen a smith is, but he's saying on first take that he's also hearing the suspension will stand. according to him, brady destroyed his phone/texts..
the story gets even stranger!!

nfl is confident they'll win in court..

I find this very interesting and wouldn't be happening without Kraft's approval.

The man is going senile. Here is how the conversation probably went down. "Bob,can we still update the wells report rebuttal website with new info to defend brady and the team?" Kraft replied "ok. But take all the yellow sprinkles off the donuts. I hate the yellow sprinkles."

i dont know how credible stephen a smith is, but he's saying on first take that he's also hearing the suspension will stand. according to him, brady destroyed his phone/texts..
the story gets even stranger!!

nfl is confident they'll win in court..
I won't listen to a word that A-hole says...I can't stand steven a smith and his anti patriots rants!

The Wells report via the Exponent "testing" shows that balls deflate in the cold. They published detailed graphs showing the exact range that should be expected across a number of external temperatures. The whole "smoking gun" was that the balls tested at halftime showed a greater decrease in psi than was expected and compared to the Colts balls that was seen in the testing.

Of course if you rig the inputs around the gauges used (apparently the refs were passing them around like a plate of nachos) and that the Colts balls were higher because they were tested later. Well, you know these details.

Belichick already did that within one week of Framegate commencing.

And he delivered his findings at the press conference of January 24th.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/01/post_19.html

"......I’ve talked to and gathered a lot of information from members of our staff, I have talked to other people familiar with this subject in other organizations and we have performed an internal study of the process and I think there are certainly other things that I can do and there’s maybe other research that can be done, but I say at this time, I definitely have enough information to share with you.....

......We simulated a game day situation in terms of the preparation of the football and where the footballs were at various points in time during the day, or night, as the case was Sunday. I would say that our preparation process for the footballs is what we do. I can’t speak for anybody else. It’s what we do. That process, we have found raises the PSI [pounds per square inch] approximately one pound. That process of creating a tackiness, a texture – the right feel, whatever that feel is, it’s just a sensation for the quarterback, what’s the right feel. That process elevates the PSI approximately one pound based on what our study showed, which was multiple footballs, multiple examples in the process, as we would do for a game. It’s not one football.

When the footballs are delivered to the officials locker room, the officials were asked to inflate them to 12.5 PSI. What exactly they did, I don’t know. But for the purposes of our study, that’s what we did. We set them at 12.5. That’s at the discretion of the official, though. Regardless of what we ask for, it’s the official’s discretion to put them where he wants. Again, that’s done in a controlled climate. The footballs are prepared in our locker room, they’re delivered to the officials locker room, which is a controlled environment. Whatever we have here is what we have there. When the footballs go out on to the field into game conditions, whatever those conditions are, whether it’s hot and humid, whether it’s cold and damp, whether it’s cold and dry, whether it’s whatever it is, that’s where the footballs are played with, and that’s where the measurements would be different than what they are, possibly different, than what they are in a controlled environment. That’s what we found.

We found that once the footballs were on the field over an extended period of time, in other words, they were adjusted to the climatic conditions and also the fact that the footballs reached an equilibrium without the rubbing process, that after that had run its course and the footballs had reached an equilibrium, that they were down approximately one-and-a-half pounds per square inch. When we brought the footballs back in after that process and re-tested them in a controlled environment as we have here, then those measurements rose approximately one half pound per square inch. So the net of one and a half, back to a half, is approximately one pound per square inch, to one and a half......"

From Belichicks mouth to deaf ears. They asked the balls to be set at 12.5 psi. How hard it that to comply with? What gets lost in all the hatred is the actual measurement and what to base it on. The Mortenson report is so damning with the 2 psi lie. Furthermore even when the true measurements were finally released people base there conclusions like the balls had to have been at 13-13.5 psi before the Pats got a hold of them. What is so hard to believe about an 11.7 or 12.1 measurement if they were at 12.5? Whats sad is the NFL doesn't know what they were to begin with but if the refs complied with the Pats wishes they were at 12.5. The 10.1 ball was the one the colts stuck a needle in possibly more than once so that ball should of been discounted.

It's maddening how stupid this is.

These random games probably won't include outdoor cold weather games and if they do, the results will probably be omitted if they confirm that the Patriots didn't cheat. The random games probably will be in indoor venues and/or in outdoor venues where there is not a great variance between indoor and outdoor temperature. In other words Goodell will manipulate the data similar to what was done in the Wells Report.

Imagine the uproar if other teams footballs deflate like the Patriots footballs did. Is he going to fine the team and take other teams draft picks? It's almost a sure bet that any that do will be ignored in the study. I bet the media will not be told what games are being monitored and what the results are. They will get a report at the end of the 2015 season that has been massaged and adjusted to get the results the NFL wants and that is no other teams footballs deflated to the degree that the Patriots balls did.

I heard on the radio (Dale and Holley) that a member of the team would be able to observe the measurements - and when I say a member of the team I mean an actual player. D&H speculated that would fall to Garoppolo.

Has anyone heard anything remotely along these lines? I can't believe something that significant was missed by the MSM so I probably misheard it all.

Maybe THAT explains BB choosing the physically challenged Mensa genius safety from Stanford in the 2nd round this Spring.

They can use statistics just like the politicians do. If the use as many games from September and October from the Pats and and games from Miami, San Diego, and Tampa in the winter, their stats will look very good for them when ESPN is reading them out.

Engineer here.
You have just described a small setof the myriad reasons this is an uncontrolled experiment rife with opportunity for fraud. I expect nothing but BAD for the Patriots to come from any such "experiment".

Physics does not need NYFL yahoos to affirm the Ideal Gas Law.

One need only look at the global warming temperature shenanigans to know that one-sided data is easily 'adjusted'.

I remember as February turned to March turned to April we got more and more optimistic and positive articles coming from everywhere about how the Patriots are looking good, how the league is going to be looking bad, etc etc. And then the bomb dropped.

So yeah

Welp, called it.

I have heard enough about BLEEPING footballs to last the rest of my $&@&! Life......please NO more talk about footballs....unless some crazed Patsfan shoves a football up Goddells rectal cavity.....and he has to have it surgically removed....

I just started reading it and detected a pretty big error in the 2nd paragraph:

There will be more footballs used – 12 primary, 12 backup. Each will be numbered. All footballs will be set to 13 pounds per square inch before the game and then measured again afterward. At select games, the primary balls will be measured and removed at halftime and the second half will be played with the backups.

The writer made a mistake. It is not true that all footballs are being set to 13. Only those submitted outside the legal range get set to 13. It is very frustrating to combat ignorance when there is so much of it out there! :D

EDIT: I take back my unkind words. OK he botched the above, but he nailed the part about "the idea that New England grossly cheated comes from a wholly inaccurate and highly prejudicial ESPN report from January that the league never bothered to refute."

Please forgive! :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back