PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yahoo!: Charles Robinson's mailbag blasts some Patriot fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Triumph said:
Where???

2004 Gay Wilson Harrison Samuel

2006 Hobbs/Gay Wilson Warfield Samuel

Its clearly decreased swapping Warfield for Harrison.

Warfield was the human torch in KC. Why do you think that KC let him walk and they are trying to get Law to take his place? If Warfield is a starting CB this season the Pats are in big trouble. Its going to be ugly. He was probably brought here to play Safety until Harrison can return.

Hobbs is too ****y and green to start IMO. Why are the Pats even in the Law sweepstakes if they dint have mixed emotions about their current line up.

Gay - might - return to 2004 form, but remember that he hasnt had to play without Harrison holding things together. And, I do not expect Harrison on the field anytime soon recovering from a 3 ligament tearing his knee thats not even 12 months old. Can he even be the same player if and when he does return?

Tbucky is a special teams/ backup player at best.

Troy Brown was the Patriots' nickel back in 2004. From there, the immortal Earthwind Moreland and Hank Poteat were all the shelter. At safety, Je'Rod Cherry and Dexter Reid were the lone backups.

I only see Rodney missing a month, at most. Even at 80%, he's still better than most in the league.

But behind Rodney and Geno, unlike 2004, is a great cast. Hawkins really came into his own later in the year. Tebucky, if called upon to start, wouldn't bring anything crashing down. Sanders and Scott need to stay healthy but can certainly earn a spot on the roster. Mitchell and/or Andrews rounds it out.

And at corner, the 2006 Hobbs and Samuel can offer more than what the 2004 Samuel and Gay brought. Better yet, Gay is now the nickel guy who we know can be at least an adequate starter or an above-average nickel. Having Warfield, Chad Scott, Poteat, and possibly Law in the mix as well is an added plus.

Not a top-10 defense? Didn't some coach say last year that the Patriots had the best run defense he's seen in 20 years? Isn't that half the battle?

BradyisGod said:
Not too into following the Pats in 2005 seeing as Hobbs started for a bunch of games...

Yep, too ****y. That's why he's always saying he need to get better. Darn, what an attitude.

And the Pats are in it for Law b/c they can be. Just b/c they are interested in one of the few high caliber players left on the open market, it doesn't mean their current status is undesirable.

Not to into recognizing that the 2005 NE Pats had one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL are you?

Hobbs won the position after there wasnt anyone else to audition. Dont make it out to sound that he was so good that he just blew everyone else away. If Law comes back guess which future HOF CB from Iowa is sitting down and taking a situational role??

i agree with what most of robinson says IMHO ...too much no respect stuff comes along and he is just genralizing his statements for the fan base.
we even get pissed and post messages when they dont call any pats to the "battle of the gridiron stars" :) ..
and by we i say some of the pats fans.
really dont see why we should make robinson or any of those guys pick us ...doesnt make us any better.on the other hand, if the team doesnt play well ..no one is going to robinson to give him kudos.

Triumph said:
Not to into recognizing that the 2005 NE Pats had one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL are you?

Hobbs won the position after there wasnt anyone else to audition. Dont make it out to sound that he was so good that he just blew everyone else away. If Law comes back guess which future HOF CB from Iowa is sitting down and taking a situational role??

The Pats had the 4th best completion percentage allowed last year (56.2). They had the 2nd worst yards/game total, but guess who had the top 4 yards/game totals?

Green Bay Packers (4-12) - 167.5 yds/game
New York Jets (4-12) - 172.2 yds/game
New Orleans Saints (3-13) - 178.1 yds/game
Cleveland Browns (6-10) - 179.2 yds/game

Last edited:
Triumph said:
Where???

2004 Gay Wilson Harrison Samuel

2006 Hobbs/Gay Wilson Warfield Samuel

Its clearly decreased swapping Warfield for Harrison.

This is just silly. Warfield is a corner. Harrison is a Safety. You comparing the 2 is just dumb. The fact is that, if Warfield plays well, he will be the 3rd CB behind Hobbs and Samuel. You will also have Randall Gay who started a SB for the Pats. That is a pretty SOLID group.

Triumph said:
Warfield was the human torch in KC. Why do you think that KC let him walk and they are trying to get Law to take his place? If Warfield is a starting CB this season the Pats are in big trouble. Its going to be ugly. He was probably brought here to play Safety until Harrison can return.

Warfield wasn't the HUMAN TORCH in KC. The FACT is that KC's D-line was pitiful and didn't get much in the way of pressure on the QB. You're suggestion that Warfield is going to play safety is just dumb. Why would they put Warfield there when they have Hawkins who was there last year? DO you honestly THINK thing through before you post?

Triumph said:
Hobbs is too ****y and green to start IMO. Why are the Pats even in the Law sweepstakes if they dint have mixed emotions about their current line up.

Pretty amazing how you assume that its because of Hobbs that the Patriots are "in the Ty Law Sweepstakes." Personally, they are exploring the potential of signing Ty Law because he is available, they know what he brings and he is better than what we have. However, that doesn't mean what we have is BAD.

Triumph said:
Gay - might - return to 2004 form, but remember that he hasnt had to play without Harrison holding things together. And, I do not expect Harrison on the field anytime soon recovering from a 3 ligament tearing his knee thats not even 12 months old. Can he even be the same player if and when he does return?

This is just silly. You didn't really watch the games last year, did you? Gay played in 3 games last season without Harrison around. And he actually did a good job considering he was trying to play through a high ankle sprain.

As for Rodney, you are assuming that he completely tore all 3 knee ligaments. There could have been partial tears and they would have still been listed as torn. With 3 torn knee ligaments, Harrison wouldn't have been doing rehab prior to his surgery. Both he and Guss Scott were doing that.

Triumph said:
Tbucky is a special teams/ backup player at best.
No one has said otherwise.

Triumph said:

In the 1st half of the season, yes. But, do you understand WHY? Obviously, not. The Patriots had one of the worst pass defenses because of injuries. 1st, losing Tedy Bruschi back in February to the stroke. Then losing Ted Johnson right before training camp to post concussion syndrome. Then, Mike Vrabel being injured in training camp and not being able to take reps at ILB the way BB wanted him to. Then losing Ty Poole and Rodney Harrison in the Pittsburgh game. Then losing Chad Scott and Guss Scott just weeks later. Then losing Randall Gay and Duane Starks by Week 9. Not to mention the perpetual merry-go-round at Strong Safety until they signed Hawkins in Week 9. Prior to them getting Bruschi and Seymour back, the Pats pass rush was virtually non-existant and its probably one of the reasons why McGinest was let go. Once they got Bruschi and Seymour back, in conjuction with the Pats moving Vrabel inside, the defense performed MUCH better. Of course, you'd actually know all this if you had watched the 2005 season.

Triumph said:

Hobbs didn't just win the position because there wasn't any one else to audition. Hobbs actually played very well and you do him a grave injustice to say otherwise. IF Law comes back, then, yes, Hobbs will become the 3rd or 4th corner. But I can guarantee you he will still get playing time and he could push LAW for playing time.

OH, one last thing, its debatable as to whether Law is a Hall of Fame CB.

DaBruinz said:
This is just silly. Warfield is a corner. Harrison is a Safety. You comparing the 2 is just dumb. The fact is that, if Warfield plays well, he will be the 3rd CB behind Hobbs and Samuel. You will also have Randall Gay who started a SB for the Pats. That is a pretty SOLID group..

Warfield played Safety at Nebraska. Its plausible that he was brought here to play Safety instead of Corner. Regardless, if you think Warfield is a solid Corner than that is just DUMB.

Warfield wasn't the HUMAN TORCH in KC. The FACT is that Kc's D-line was pitiful and didn't get much in the way of pressure on the QB. You're suggestion that Warfield is going to play safety is just dumb. Why would they put Warfield there when they have Hawkins who was there last year? DO you honestly THINK thing through before you post? [/QUOTE said:
First off, how many KC games have you watched over the last 7 years? Secondly, like it or not, every player is graded on his performance. Warfield sucked axx and KC has had the worst pass defense in the NFL. The NE pass defense struggled because of poor Safety play.

Pretty amazing how you assume that its because of Hobbs that the Patriots are "in the Ty Law Sweepstakes." Personally said:
Law would start over Hobbs tomorrow. That is a FACT. Theres no reason to even bring Law back if the Pats are content with Hobbs being the starter. NONE. Its DUMB to say the currently have Pats have a solid group of DB's when this same group struggled last season. Particularly vs Denver.

This is just silly. You didn't really watch the games last year said:
Big ****in deal. Gay has yet to play a season without Harrison. You assume just because "He did a good job" that he will step in and save the day.

As for Rodney said:
No one has said otherwise.

I dont need your approval. You have an opinion just like everyones else. Nothing more and nothing less.

Triumph said:
Warfield played Safety at Nebraska. Its plausible that he was brought here to play Safety instead of Corner. Regardless, if you think Warfield is a solid Corner than that is just DUMB.

So, he's not played Safety in 7 years and you figure that he's going to come in and be the starting STRONG SAFETY over Hawkins if Harrison is on the bench?

Also, you clearly don't understand the meaning of SOLID. Solid means not spectacular. Able to get the job done. And Warfield is that. Most corners should be that with a solid pass rush.

Triumph said:
First off, how many KC games have you watched over the last 7 years? Secondly, like it or not, every player is graded on his performance. Warfield sucked axx and KC has had the worst pass defense in the NFL. The NE pass defense struggled because of poor Safety play.

I've watched about a dozens games KC games over the last 7 years if you must know. Yes, rvery player is graded on performance, but that isn't the only reason teams cut players. They cut them because of COST as well. You're evaluation of Warfield leaves so much to be desired that I don't even know where to start. Not to mention that you totally discount the pathetic front 7's that Warfield had to contend with on the Chiefs. You do know that DBs are only expected to be able to cover WRs for 5-6 seconds, right? Enough time to let an effecitve pass rush get to the QB and either sack him or force him to scramble and hopefully throw the ball away.

Also, if you think that poor safety play was the only reason behind New England's secondary being bad last year, you definitely did NOT watch the New England season because it was so much more than that.

Triumph said:
Law would start over Hobbs tomorrow. That is a FACT. Theres no reason to even bring Law back if the Pats are content with Hobbs being the starter. NONE. Its DUMB to say the currently have Pats have a solid group of DB's when this same group struggled last season. Particularly vs Denver.

The Pats DBs struggled against Denver in the 1st game, but Hobbs wasn't starting while Gay and Starks were both trying to play injured. In the second game, the Pats defense did extremely well to shut down the Denver offense. It was the turnovers on special teams and on offense that cost the Pats the game. (Not to mention the extremely poor officiating.

Also, you don't seem to understand the concept of improving ones team. The Patriots are very content with Hobbs. And that is obvious from them not drafting someone like Cromartie or Yobouty. Just because they are looking into the potential of adding Law doesn't mean they aren't content. It means that they see the potential of adding a player who improves the team. And that would be the reason to bring Law back.

And, no, its not dumb to say we have a solid group of DBs when you actually review the facts of last season from an objective standpoint that looks at the ENTIRE picture of why the defense was poor. If you take the myopic view as you do and attempt to look at the DBs in a vacuum, then, yes, I can see you coming to the same incorrect conclusions you have drawn.

Triumph said:
Big ****in deal. Gay has yet to play a season without Harrison. You assume just because "He did a good job" that he will step in and save the day.

Yes, it is a big deal. So, Gay hasn't yet to play a full season without Harrison. The only one making assumptions here is you. Not me. I never said that Gay would step in and save the day. I said that Gay did a good job despite having a high ankle sprain that he tried to play through. Again, you are quick to make judgements and totally ignore facts, not bothering to take into consideration the entire picture. I have to wonder if you truly understand how an effective pass rush helps a secondary perform better.

Triumph said:
I dont need your approval. You have an opinion just like everyones else. Nothing more and nothing less.
On the contrary. I have an opinion that is supported with facts and not based on myopic views and assumptions. I take into consideration how the pass rush, or lack of one, affects the play of the secondary. I take into consideration the injuries that the team had and don't just blame patricular players because its the schick thing to do. I take into consideration that our DC last year was ineffective to the point that our HC took over the defensive play calling and that, when he did, our defense got better. And this happened to coincide with the return of Bruschi and Seymour from injury, the move of Vrabel of OLB to ILB and the signing of Hawkins to play Strong Safety. Is there blame to go around on the DBs? Yes. And I haven't said otherwise. For instance, Wilson was over-whelmed and attempted to do too much from his safety position. Part of that was the fact that the safety opposite him was always different. Part of that was his own inexperience at calling adjustments from the safety position.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
The Pats had the 4th best completion percentage allowed last year (56.2). They had the 2nd worst yards/game total, but guess who had the top 4 yards/game totals?

Green Bay Packers (4-12) - 167.5 yds/game
New York Jets (4-12) - 172.2 yds/game
New Orleans Saints (3-13) - 178.1 yds/game
Cleveland Browns (6-10) - 179.2 yds/game

The Pats defense gave up the 3rd highest yards per attempt, the highest yards per completion, 4th most passing TDs (tied), the 2nd most 20 yard plus passing plays, the most 40 yard plus passing plays, and had the 4 least amount of interceptions (tied). Opposing QBs had a 86.07 rating, the 6th highest rating. IMO, the completion percentage stat is misleading because it was pretty clear that the teams were having success throwing deep against the Pats so teams were willing to eschew the high percentage (short to medium) passes in favor of longer passes.

Team Wins Opposing QBs rating
Tennessee 4 98.50
Houston 2 98.22
San Francisco 4 92.85
Oakland 4 88.70
St. Louis 6 88.24
New England 10 86.07
New Orleans 3 84.51
Green Bay 4 84.25
San Diego 9 82.62
Kansas City 10 80.94

Who the hell is Neal Giordano? How lame can you get by trashing your own fanbase?

lol...just stumbled onto this via search. Bored, I guess. If you're still around, can you POSSIBLY explain to me how I trashed my own fanbase? Did you even READ what I wrote? I quoted Robinson's exact words on "the perpetually whiny fanbase". Those were HIS words in the article, not mine. My point was simply that you cannot base an entire fanbase on the rants of anonymous "fans" who are just around to stir up crap. Not sure how the hell you could misinterpret that...?

Please learn to read before you react. Thanks.

~Neal Giordano

dude, are you replying to a guy who made a comment 4 yrs ago?

And resurrecting a thread from 4 years ago!

I actually like this resurrection. It reminds us how long people have been trying to write off this team.

I actually like this resurrection. It reminds us how long people have been trying to write off this team.

In those 4 years, the Pats have won 49 regular season games ( 11 with a QB who hadn't started since high school) and gone 4-3 in the playoffs.
In contrast, the Colts had 51 reg season wins and were 6-3 in playoffs.
Pittsburgh- 39 wins (3-1)
SD- 46 wins (3-4)
The Pats likely had the second best league wide record over that time period. While they didn't win the Super Bowl, they certainly were still one of the league's elite, something the current naysayers should take note of.

Last edited:
In those 4 years, the Pats have won 49 regular season games ( 11 with a QB who hadn't started since high school) and gone 4-3 in the playoffs.
In contrast, the Colts had 51 reg season wins and were 6-3 in playoffs.
Pittsburgh- 39 wins (3-1)
SD- 46 wins (3-4)
The Pats likely had the second best league wide record over that time period. While they didn't win the Super Bowl, they certainly were still one of the league's elite, something the current naysayers should take note of.

Well said. As long as Belichick is the coach of this team, I have a really hard time going into any season feeling like we won't be a competitive team. Our SB run started with no big names, that over the years, became big names.

No reason it can't happen again. The only thing I feel we might be lacking in the future will be a solid powerback, who isn't injure 80% of the season.

If this yrs. draft class develops as well as last yrs. we will be in really great shape for yrs. to come.

Wtf thread necro.

I would expect tha patriots to filed a competitive team as long as the Krafts own the team, with or without Belichick, with or without Brady. We could very well be coimpetitive for the next two decades.

We have won with Antowain Smith, the great powerback! Seriously, our running backs are sufficient to win, as long as our passing game and offensive line perform up to their abilities.

Well said. As long as Belichick is the coach of this team, I have a really hard time going into any season feeling like we won't be a competitive team. Our SB run started with no big names, that over the years, became big names.

No reason it can't happen again. The only thing I feel we might be lacking in the future will be a solid powerback, who isn't injure 80% of the season.

If this yrs. draft class develops as well as last yrs. we will be in really great shape for yrs. to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots