Welcome to PatsFans.com

xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Canada's #1 Pats Fan, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Forgive me if there is another thread on this already.

I am looking for some opinions on which is the better system to purchase and why you believe it is the better system.

Thanks for any help.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

With the game and all I think it was a bad time post this. I know nothing about the the question asked but maybe this will get bumped back up to the first page.
  3. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I personally like the 360 better. HDMI looks great on it, it's cheaper, has more games, and the technology is there for future years to come. The newest games that are out that I really like are:
    Mass Effect (360 only)
    Call of Duty 4
    Bioshock (360 only)
  4. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Mark me down for the 360 as well. I love XBox Live and it's ease of use. Plus Halo 3 is pretty awesome.

The PS3 does have the Blu Ray player, but I don't think Hi Def DVD's are going to have a huge market for a couple more years.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I own a 360, and am going to buy a PS3 in the next month or so. The 360 has more games, and is very good, but you have to pay to play online I believe. It's something like $50 annually for a silver package. At least it was. I'm not sure if they've changed that. The PS3 is free for online play. I guess it's a matter of choice, but if you have an HDTV, and you don't have a Blu-Ray player, you might want to consider the PS3, if the extra cash isn't an issue.
  6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The thing about the PS3 online is that it is very very VERY slow. You think the forum is slow at gametime? Oh no. VERY slow. :)

Besides, you can purchase an extendable HDTV player for the 360.
  7. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +177 / 5 / -12

I've got both and I like both but if I had to choose I'd go with the 360 because of the larger game library and the fact that Xbox Live is such a better service than PSOnline. It's worth the money if you are actually going to play online.

I never had a PS2, though, so half the reason I got a PS3 was so I could buy a ton of PS2 games. Plus blu-ray seems to be coming out ahead in the format war.
  8. Fahrenhype

Fahrenhype Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

See if you can buy a refurbished Xbox 360 with an in-store trade in warranty. I got mine at Microcenter for $259.99 back in August, and if at any point in the next three years the red rings hit, it goes back to that store instead of having to deal with Microsoft customer service. I'm on the fence about Xbox live. I was going to sign up for gold right around Christmas since I would finally have time to play stuff like COD4 and Halo 3 online, but guess what, the whole service was crapped out. Several weeks later I still have trouble just getting into the market place and I have a 20Mbps connection.

It has the best lineup of games, just be wary of the poor hardware quality and live outages.
  9. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Made my decision yesterday. Bought the Playstation 3. So far absolutely no regrets.
  10. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Good choice. I only game on my laptop but, if I bought a new gaming console it woud be anything but XBox. M$ will never get a penny from me.
  11. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

:) Your loss
  12. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +177 / 5 / -12

I like my PS3 but I think if you knew how much better XBL is than PSO you'd have gone the other way. None of the PS3 exclusives are worth it.

What modeldid you get? I got a refurbed 60gig HD model because that way it has hardware emulation for PS2 backwards compatability. The 40 gig model has no backwards compatability and even the 80gig models are software emulation and they're only slowly making titles available so I think it's just 30% of PS2 titles at the moment.

I never owned a PS2 so a big reason to get a PS3 was so I could play cheap old PS2 games when I wanted to play something new instead of dropping $60 for a new 360 game.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If its for online games, you have to use a computer. I'm sure M$ and Sony would just release their customers to the greater online world rather than having their own dedicated servers; but they can't. Working from a console gives you such crappy functionality you'd die almost instantly in the PC world. Its like a fight where everyone has one hand tied behind their back. Its fair but not really fun.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I own a 360, and am eventually going to buy a PS3. Anyway, when I bought my 360, XBOX LIVE was a pay for deal. I went to the website recently and it said nothing about the Silver package costing money anymore. Is that right or was I dreaming? Is LIVE Silver now free?
  15. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I picked up the 80 gig model. I mainly decided on the PS3 because of what I was reading from other on line forums and what some personal friends have described as the 'red circle of death' where the xbox 360 system stops working for no reason - which I have been told signifies hardware issues. I know the PS3 game library is no where near the xbox 360 but given time it will catch up, IMO.
  16. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I own a video game store and sell much more Xbox 360s than PS3s but its more because of the price than anything else - Everyone who buys a system usually wants the 120GB Elite 360 system or the PS3 60GB system which cannot be bought new anymore but you can still play all PS2 games on the
    60GB whereas you cannot on the 40gb and most won't on the 80GB either.

Better System? - PS3 (which I also own besides selling them)
    Better Value? - Xbox 360
    Better warranty if problem occurs? - Definately Xbox,who I seem to have an easier time to deal with when a system goes bad,They send free packing materials to me and I ship any bad 360s right back to them - never a charge.

HOWEVER - There is nothing CLOSE to the most popular system of the last 2 years - Its the Nintendo Wii - a its not even close,As a video game store owner believe me its not even close.....
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I've owned two of the 3, and will own the third, the PS3, real soon. The Wii is the most fun. EVERYONE who tries the Wii loves it. I had mine for two days before my house got robbed and the MF'ers, who shall choke on soda, stole it. I had my 360 & Wii sitting in front of my TV, and despite the 360 costing more, and my having more games for it (I had nothing but the Wii sports CD for the Wii), they left the 360 & took the Wii. The Wii is a blast, and is fun for everyone.
  18. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +177 / 5 / -12

I don't think that was a good basis for the decision, personally. 360's have consistently come in under the 4% failure rate for consumer electronics and more than that MS has extended the out of box warranty to 3 years for RRODs. I got my 360 the day they first hit shelves and I never had had a problem, personally. The reason that you hear a lot about RROD's is because the 4% of however millions of people have a 360 are going to be very vocal in complaining about it on the internet.

I do like my PS3 but if I had to choose I'd go with the 360 for the aforementioned reasons.

XBL Silver has always been free but you've got the obvious limitations versus Gold.