PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

X factor: Patriot Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Down the stretch of the season, the Patriot defense has been brilliant. Some may disagree, but let me explain.

When Colvin went down in the Eagle game, the following week the defense struggled mightily making the transition. Baltimore ran with great success at a front 7 that seemed clumsy with run fits and played uninspired football until crunch time.

Then something interesting happened.

Pittsburgh scored 13 points vs the Pats, a season low (discounting the 3-0 slop fest vs Miami at Heinz field).

The Jets score 3 points vs the Pat D, a season low (the other 7 were scored on a blocked punt return TD)

Miami scored 7 points, a season low (discounting the 3-0 slopfest at Pittsburgh with rookie Beck at QB).

Jacksonville averaging 34+ points per game over the previous 7 weeks, scored 20 points, its lowest total in 12 weeks.

SD scored 12 points, its season low.

The only exception to this pattern was the 38-35 Giant game. Leading into that game the Giant offense had no identity. Manning had played 2 of the worst games by a Qb you will ever see vs Washington and Buffalo, in terrible weather. He was so bad vs Buffalo (fumbling 5 times and throwing 2 picks) that the Giants simply abandoned the pass and threw only 2 times in the 2nd half.

IMO BB guessed wrong on Manning and the Giants leading into that game. The Pats players were probably rolling on the floor laughing after watching tape of Eli's previous 2 games. They came in with no respect for the Giant passing game, and were ambushed by Manning's sudden effectiveness in decent weather conditions. Also, that was the 1st week Plaxico Burress was able to practice since his preseason ankle injury, and he played much better than he had in months. Rookie TE Kevin Boss was an unknown quantity at that point, and snuck through the Pat D for a TD. Steve Smith had yet to be integrated into the passing game after his injury, but made key catches on the final drive. All of these factors contributed to the Pats D being unprepared for many of the Giants' key offensive personnel and plays of that game.

This will definitely not happen again. With 4 weeks of tape on the "new" Giant offense the Pats have ample material to breakdown recent tendencies.

Next Sunday, we will witness a stellar defensive effort by the overlooked Patriot D, which held 5 of its last 6 opponents to season low point totals.

Last edited:
Down the stretch of the season, the Patriot defense has been brilliant. Some may disagree, but let me explain.

When Colvin went down in the Eagle game, the following week the defense struggled mightily making the transition. Baltimore ran with great success at a front 7 that seemed clumsy with run fits and played uninspired football until crunch time.

Pittsburgh scored 13 points vs the Pats, a season low (discounting the 3-0 slop fest vs Miami at Heinz field).

The Jets score 3 points vs the Pat D, a season low (the other 7 were scored on a blocked punt return TD)

Miami scored 7 points, a season low (discounting the 3-0 slopfest at Pittsburgh with rookie Beck at QB).

Jacksonville averaging 34+ points per game over the previous 7 weeks, scored 20 points, its lowest total in 12 weeks.

The only exception to this pattern was the 38-35 Giant game. Leading into that game the Giant offense had no identity. Manning had played 2 of the worst games by a Qb you will ever see vs Washington and Buffalo, in terrible weather. He was so bad vs Buffalo (fumbling 5 times and throwing 2 picks) that the Giants simply abandoned the pass and threw only 2 times in the 2nd half.

IMO BB guessed wrong on Manning and the Giants leading into that game. The Pats players were probably rolling on the floor laughing after watching tape of Eli's previous 2 games. They came in with no respect for the Giant passing game, and were ambushed by Manning's sudden effectiveness in decent weather conditions. Also, that was the 1st week Plaxico Burress was able to practice since his preseason ankle injury, and he played much better than he had in months. Rookie TE Kevin Boss was an unknown quantity at that point, and snuck through the Pat D for a TD. Steve Smith had yet to be integrated into the passing game after his injury, but made key catches on the final drive. All of these factors contributed to the Pats D being unprepared for many of the Giants' key offensive personnel and plays of that game.

This will definitely not happen again. With 4 weeks of tape on the "new" Giant offense the Pats have ample material to breakdown recent tendencies.

Next Sunday, we will witness a stellar defensive effort by the overlooked Patriot D, which held 5 of its last 6 opponents to season low point totals.

I hope so man I'd love to see the defense come out and put the hammer down!

Nice job, I have fealt the exact same way. I would love too know though how the Giants are playing better, according to so many sources, when they barely beat the Cowboys and Packers, and the Pats beat the Jags by 11, and the Bolts by 9!(It could have been more if the Pats didn't have a 9 minute drive they had no reason to complete) I mean they heaven't allowed a TD in 6 quarters!!!!
Well, anyway, nice job putting those points together,

I seem to recall an announcer stating clearly in the 3rd that NE was playing a very vanilla defense.

Obvious to me, but pretty telling to have it announced on the multi-network glamfest that was that game.

I seem to recall an announcer stating clearly in the 3rd that NE was playing a very vanilla defense.

Obvious to me, but pretty telling to have it announced on the multi-network glamfest that was that game.

Yeah, maybe the Pats were playing possum on D before the playoffs. They probably thought they could get away with it after watching how terribly Eli played in the previous 2 games.

The Pats gave up 6 points in the second half in the first playoff game. The gave up 3 points in the second half of the second playoff game. The Pats 2nd half D has been very good.

The pats are playing smart. Keeping things close to the vest and being prepared to be play their best ball in the second half.

Remember, what has lead to this year was last years AFFCG. The Pats do not want to see that ever happen again.

I think this game will be a lot like the game against the Jags. Shut down the run and make Eli beat you with a plain vanilla defense in the first half. Depending on how the offense is playing, mix things up in either the 3rd or 4th quarters to confuse Eli.

they have been playing vanilla defense in the playoffs. I feel the gaints are going to be surprised what the D brings. Just like when they played the eagles in the Super Bowl and they came out in a 4-3

Great post PonyExpress. I wish people used the same standard the coaches use: keeping the other team from scoring more points than your team scores. Points is the the game. I have complete confidence in the D.

Well, there were several things that went into the Pats D playing crappy during the first Giants game. Tedy came out and said the team was feeling the pressure of the undefeated season. Vrable also said that the D was not playing very well that day...couple those two things with Pees and BB keeping the D "vanilla" most of the game and you've got the 35 points the Giants hung on the D.

It's good to put the defense into a perspective that's realistic. They have had some success in the red zone, and they deserve credit for that. If they continue that trend, then we're golden.

They do give up a lot of yards between the 20s but I'm trying to figure out which team doesn't. It seems like offense dominates the league far more than the old days, and we all know why - rules changes.

This is the main reason why you can't compare dynasties of other eras to this one.

Well, there were several things that went into the Pats D playing crappy during the first Giants game. Tedy came out and said the team was feeling the pressure of the undefeated season. Vrable also said that the D was not playing very well that day...couple those two things with Pees and BB keeping the D "vanilla" most of the game and you've got the 35 points the Giants hung on the D.

The Giants actually only "hung" 28 points on the Pats D, 7 of which were in the final minute of the game as they were allowing the Giant O to bleed down the clock. So there were essentially 3 big drives that the Giants successfully were able to complete on the Patriot D. I would NOT call the final TD drive a "success" as they played right into BBs hands.

The Giants actually only "hung" 28 points on the Pats D, 7 of which were in the final minute of the game as they were allowing the Giant O to bleed down the clock. So there were essentially 3 big drives that the Giants successfully were able to complete on the Patriot D. I would NOT call the final TD drive a "success" as they played right into BBs hands.

Last I checked, garbage-time TD's still count as points scored...and the Giants were driving pretty decent (they did have some clock management issues during that drive, though) until Rodney had that pick to ice the game.

The Pats 4th quarter defense has been pretty close to a shut-down defense starting with the Colts game. There has been two games where the opponents offense started deep in the Pats zone and scored at the start of the quarter. I've got to think the Giants game was an aberration. That BB is throwing the book at Eli. Does anyone think the Giants will return another kick-off or punt this time around?

Does anyone think the Giants will return another kick-off or punt this time around?

Just tell Maroney not to dance with Moss after a TD and we'll be fine. :p

Awesome breakdown! Thanks!

Guess I need to keep referring to this if the Giants complete some big passes and seem to easily march down the field. Those type of plays seem to give the impression that our 'aging' D is soft and can be exploited.

But the important point to note (other than the main point that we won :D) is how many points our D allowed and how that # bears against each team's previous performances - which is what your analysis clearly reveals.

Last I checked, garbage-time TD's still count as points scored...and the Giants were driving pretty decent (they did have some clock management issues during that drive, though) until Rodney had that pick to ice the game.

The garbage time TD was included in the 28 points that I mentioned. Rodney didn't have a pick to "Ice the Game". Are you sure you weren't referring to the Jax game? Hobbs had a key pick, but even that didn't "Ice" it. Nevertheless, I was just saying that the last Giant TD was a more than fair trade off for the amount of time it used up, IMO.

It is at least possible that we'll have to win this one with our defense, so let's hope they stay on a roll.

The 7 possessions (4 NE, 3 NYG) after the Giants took a 12 point lead.

NE: TD
NYG: 3 and out
NE: 6 plays, 10 yds, Punt
NYG: 3 and out
NE: TD + 2pt conv
NYG: Bambi INT
NE: TD

--
NYG's Garbage TD down 10 went 11 plays, 68 yds in 3:38, including using a timeout after the 2-minute warning.

--

Like all year long, when the Patriots defense needed to lock down, they lock down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes