Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wyoming Rep. Lummis: Estate tax rise has some planning death

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Wyoming Rep. Lummis: Estate tax rise has some planning death

CHEYENNE -- U.S. Rep. Cynthia Lummis says some of her Wyoming constituents are so worried about the reinstatement of federal estate taxes that they plan to discontinue dialysis and other life-extending medical treatments so they can die before Dec. 31.

Lummis, a Republican who holds her state's lone seat in the House, declined to name any of the people who have made the comments.

But she said many ranchers and farmers in the state would rather pass along their businesses -- "their life's work" -- to their children and grandchildren than see the federal government take a large chunk.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I am completely against the estate tax. It is a tax on assets that have already been taxed. When you make a wage, you pay income taxes. You should never have to pay a tax on it again.

That being said, why is this being brought up in terms of people killing themselves over the tax? Is that supposed to have some bearing on any decision? Someone wants to kill themselves over money for their children? Seriously? Money is more valuable than life? Maybe their life isn't worth that much top them anymore and that's all there is to it.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

I tried to kill myself four times, I shot myself, the gun jumped the bullet killed my dog, I took all my clothes off and sat out in the yard at night it was 15 below zero I wanted to freeze to death my stupid f-cking neighbor called the cops, I jumped out of my third floor bedroom and broke my ankle, my wife hates me so I told her to shoot me, she agreed, I told her to do it in the kitchen, I sat down at the table, she took the gun and aimed it at me she pulled the trigger and blew her mothers f-cking face off, next week I'm going to try and hang myself, my next door neighbors wife is going to help me after we have sex, she said the best way to hang yourself is to put the rope around your stomach, she said "if you put it around your neck you can't breath"
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but 'you' don't pay the tax. The recipient does.
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

The point still stands. It is capital that has already been taxed. I believe the colloquial term is "double dipping". Yes, that's it.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

If you really think about this, how many people in Wyoming do you really think that this effects??? In Wyoming there are currently about 9500 Millionaires or 4.5% of the population.. in my experience most folks with a lot of wealth do not want to die, even if it means saving money for the kids..

Dying over taxes is flat out stupid.. or saying that you will die for political purposes.. this Rep. is just another tool of the right wing hysteria machine.. probably someone said something to someone who overheard it in passing when walking by a pay phone.

God I hope sanity returns to America soon..
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Anyone who claims to want to kill themselves over the death tax should be supervised for their own safety... however, I could see people over 80 saying "if the Lord wants to take me soon, i'd rather it be December 31st rather than January 1st"... that's just reality.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

I'd rather die sometime during the month of April.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

The hysteria is often diluted with some truth..

The average income in Wyoming is about $28,000

Congress Should Not Weaken the Estate Tax Beyond 2009 Parameters — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

TaxVox: the Tax Policy Center blog :: Death Tax Revival Murders Yeoman Ranchers