PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wyche: NFL tried to nix no-huddle

PatriotSeven

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As luck would have it there seems to be another revelation along the lines of Suggs story except this one is more of a recollection and it doesn't come from a "moron".

Wyche, whose Bengals used the no-huddle during the 1988 season to reach the AFC Championship Game against the Buffalo Bills, told Newsday that then-commissioner Pete Rozelle told him two hours before that game that his team would be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct if it ran the hurry-up.

"We'd been using it for five years, that's all we used all season long, we had the No. 1 offense in football, that's all we practiced all week long, that's how we got to the AFC championship," Wyche said. "And then two hours before he said, 'You can't use that.'"

Wyche said the league had previously informed then-Bengals owner Paul Brown and NBC, which was televising the game, of its plans. Wyche was to be one of the last to know, but one of NBC's commentators, who Wyche said was a former teammate of his but didn't identify by name, informed him that the NFL wanted to end the no-huddle, so he was prepared when he got Rozelle's message.

"I immediately told the NFL delegate along with the referee who was in the office there with me and [now-Bengals owner] Mike Brown, I said 'Go get Pete Rozelle on the phone right now because I want to tell him that he's interfering with the competitive balance of this game, and if we get penalized and lose this ballgame, the first thing I'm bringing up in the press conference is this conversation and there are a lot of gamblers out there who aren't going to be very happy.'

"It wasn't 20 seconds before he came back, he left the room and came back, I'm not exaggerating, I bet it wasn't 20 seconds. 'Uh, commissioner says go ahead and use the no-huddle, no problem,'" Wyche said.

Sam Wyche -- NFL tried to stop no-huddle in 1980s - ESPN

Sam Wyche must be just another conspiracy theory nutcase and made it all up because the NFL or any commissioner would never do anything to interfere with the competitive nature of gambling--err---the game:rolleyes:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back