Welcome to PatsFans.com

WWW study: Bank crisis means prepare for very worst

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Dec 3, 2009.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

careful with your investments...

Bank crisis shows need to expect the very worst: study

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:59pm EST

LONDON (Reuters) - Two years of economic and market turmoil mean that investors cannot ignore the chances of even the most extreme events like global depression or a killer pandemic, a leading investment consultancy said on Monday.

Watson Wyatt said in its study, "Extreme Risks," that investors should prepare for everything from currency and banking crises to trade protectionism and even the end of capitalism.

The firm said it had drawn up the list to underline that risk management in investing cannot afford to ignore threats even in the bottom 5 percent of possible events and recommended ways of hedging -- a form of insurance -- against them.

Its 15 extreme risks were ranked in order as of mid-year.

They were economic depression, hyperinflation, excessive leverage, a currency crisis, a banking crisis, sovereign default, climate change, political crisis, insurance crisis, protectionism, disunity in Europe, the end of capitalism, the end of fiat money, war and a killer pandemic.

Of its top risk, economic depression, the firm said that while the immediate threat appeared to have been reduced by government action, there was now little governments could do if demand dropped again.​

Somehow, if I were on that WWW study, I would propose war as a top 5 risk, not 14th.

Watson Wyatt Worldwide
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Watson Wyatt is the trusted business partner to the world's leading organizations.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

God Damn Bush
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Read the other day that European banks are heavily invested in Dubai...and banks like HBSC are going to be in trouble...
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Harry... for a thread like this, try and contribute something for once.

I mean really. Is this the limit of your ability here? Sarcastic one-sentence mantra and backwoods poetry?
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +311 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

He knows MERRY CHRISTMAS, too. I've ever read anything the least bit poetic from him, tho, must have missed that.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I heard he hates black people :(
  7. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

War with Iran? I fear it's coming too. I don't see them backing down, I think they want to go to war. Israel will not wait till they have the bomb, once they have given the USA/UN the time requested they will act.

I just hope it can wait till at least spring, oil is going to go through the roof and I heat with oil :(

Trying times ahead...
  8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If Iran wanted war they would have already done it.

Israel has had an itchy, paranoid trigger finger the past few years, but doesn't want to do it alone. They bluff that they will go it alone, but it's only to try to goad the US into the fight.

Either way this is going to start WWIII and the US may end up in flames from Russian nukes.
  9. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Katrina was black op's by the military, dirty bastard!
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

It would never go nuclear. The notion that it would is ridiculous. Both nations know that nukes mean the end of the planet more or less. Why on earth would they go to that extreme, over some irrelevent country like Iran?

Israel has gone it alone before in its history, so I'm not sure why you think they wouldn't here. IMO, were it not for the US, Israel may have possibly attempted something already. I'm clearly speculating.

BTW, does anyone understand what a war with Iran would do to the global economy? Consider it crushed. Energy would skyrocket, and markets would crumble. I don't think that's the avenue leaders will want to go down.

As for the original post, buy a weapon.
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Taken care of.

Did you know you have to wait like 3 months for a permit to even carry a club to protect yourself?
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Welcome to Retardachusetts. It's easier for criminals to get guns, than it is for law abiding citizens to. Mind you, I'm a believer, and supporter of sensible gun control. I think people should wait for a weapon, be licensed, and have a background check done. 3 months though? that's a tad excessive no? My buds neighbor teaches the handgun course to carry concealed. Four of us are taking it right after Christmas. I'm nervous personally, cuz I don't like guns, and I'm not comfortable around them. I think people should have every right to own one, so long as they are licensed and checked out, etc. but I personally think only bad things can happen with them around. I'm going to get my license though, and then really think about buying one. If I do, it will be locked up, and out of sight. I'm not sleeping with it under my pillow like some people do. I'd just like to have on incase the worst happens. I don't want to be left without a chair so to speak, should the music stop.
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Nobody said it would go nuclear on Iran. Any conventional attack on Iran is going to cause WWIII.

Your handgun isn't going to do anything against a Russian nuclear warhead.
  14. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Why do you think Russia will nuke us. Does MAD no longer apply to them. I guess I don't understand why they would attack us knowing we would respond in kind.

Help me out here, tell me why you feel this way or link me to a site that explains why Russia would nuke us.
  15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I have a general belief that in the next World War some countries with nukes will not just surrender having lost a 'conventional' world war.

Do you disagree? It's probably a cynical viewpoint but I definitely see nukes being used if a world war happened, we set the precedent, and how it would end no one knows. I don't think all of humanity would die though.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Really? Oh man...:rolleyes:

We're not talking handguns for nukes, since we don't think it will ever come down to nukes.
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, with stories like this, I don't think it's quite that dramatic... And yes, i do believe a single nuclear attack anywhere on the planet will crash global markets.

I think what we're seeing is more economic warfare... where nations wait each other out, and maneuver with currencies and exchange rates, etc.

The fact of the matter is that infinite growth is not possible at the very moment in industrial history that energy production begins to decline... It seems to have begun global decline this decade, and international finance and consumerism and exchange is beginning to feel the shock...

I'd say watch the Baltic Dry this winter. Watch the heating problems for Europeans. Unemployment in oil producing nations. Interest rates, etc.. It is all far more connected than many people conceptualize. ... Reports like these only strengthen the case that the global economy is on the brink.
  18. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

IDK what the future holds. I just never considered a nuclear attack outside of terrorism. It's a scary thought no doubt. I pray you're wrong.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

I'm sorry Press, I couldn't help myself.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I wish a Merry CHRISTmas
    To you