Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wussification of America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

Like I was saying yesterday....

Cheerleader's family to sue school district

Teen was cut from junior varsity team and family claims unfairness

July 12, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
    BY SONNY LONG - VICTORIA ADVOCATE

YORKTOWN - The attorney for the Billy Fischer family, whose daughter was cut from the Yorktown High School junior varsity cheerleading squad, says her clients have no other option but to sue the school district.

"At this point we are planning on going forward with a lawsuit," said Lisa Duke of the San Antonio law firm of Anderson and Duke. "We have not filed the paperwork yet, but we will soon."

Incoming freshman Wycoda Fischer was cut after tryouts were held for six positions on the squad. Seven girls tried out. The family contends that because an exception was made for the varsity cheer squad, nine girls were allowed on instead of the eight called for in the high school's cheerleader constitution, that an exception should also be made for allowing Wycoda on the squad. The high school principal and cheerleading sponsor approved the expanded JV squad, but superintendent Deborah Kneese ordered tryouts.

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/428/story/88430.html

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

This kind of crap either didn't happen or you didn't hear about it.Not everyone made the cheerleader squad, litte leauge games were played till someone won (not this both sides play for a tie crap so feelings don't get hurt) no one sued it was unf!@#ing heard of.You could bring your toy soldiers to school, have snow ball fights at recess.You played games where you got cuts and scraps ,you didn't have to wear a helmut when you rode your bike (no one got hurt) I mean do I have to go on? I think I will. If there had been coputers,and the internet you could tell a Chinese wedding joke and no one would call you a raceist. There were no P.C. police lurking around. Going back to the original point.If you lost,or didn't make the team,you were told that you can't win all the time,that you'd get another chance.So work harder at what you want,and try again.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +510 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

This is the kind of thing that will get cheerleading cancelled because school can't afford this kind of thing. The little spoiled whiner should just go away. Jeez.

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

You mean like recess?

'Not it!' More schools ban games at recess

Updated 6/27/2006 7:40 AM ET |

[​IMG]

Fourth grade students in Cincinnati, Ohio, play tag together at recess, but now some schools across the country are banning the game, saying it "progresses easily into slapping and hitting."

By Emily Bazar, USA TODAY
    Some traditional childhood games are disappearing from school playgrounds because educators say they're dangerous.
    Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Spokane, Wash., banned tag at recess this year. Others, including a suburban Charleston, S.C., school, dumped contact sports such as soccer and touch football.

In other cities, including Wichita; San Jose, Calif.; Beaverton, Ore.; and Rancho Santa Fe., Calif., schools took similar actions earlier.

The bans were passed in the name of safety, but some children's health advocates say limiting exercise and free play can inhibit a child's development.

Groups such as the National School Boards Association don't keep statistics on school games.

But several experts, including Donna Thompson of the National Program for Playground Safety, verify the trend. Dodge ball has been out at some schools for years, but banning games such as tag and soccer is a newer development.

"It's happening more," Thompson says. Educators worry about "kids running into one another" and getting hurt, she says.

In January, Freedom Elementary School in Cheyenne prohibited tag at recess because it "progresses easily into slapping and hitting and pushing instead of just touching," Principal Cindy Farwell says.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +510 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, my kids can't play kickball anymore because one of the teachers played and kicked a ball that hit a kid in the head. The kid survived just fine, of course - but kickball didn't.

:bricks:

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

[​IMG]

Massachusetts elementary school bans playing tag at recess

Updated 10/18/2006 11:47 AM

ATTLEBORO, Mass. (AP) — Tag, you're out!
    Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-18-tag_x.htm

7. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I like this series Real World - exposing how sensitive and nitpicky our society is becoming. It's atrocious.

8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

IN fifth grade I was playing tag at recess,i tripped fell and tore my elbow open it was very nasty looking.I went back to class show the teacher ,and the class there was a simultanious eeeh she put a band aid on it,I sat down now scard for life, and that was the end of it.Niether Tag,nor Recess were cancelled.

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

That is idiotic, maybe they get a decision that everyone who tries out to be a cheerleader will make it.. or everyone who tries out for QB will get a chance to play.. or everyone who wants to pitch can.. take away competition, continue to dumb down america.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

Yeah but these are incidental, they are one in a million you know. This isn't the mainstream. All of the other schools are run prefectly fine. :D

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

OMG, unbelievable! Do you have nightmares when you sleep? Heck, how do you even sleep. Thank god I never got a scrape as a kid. Had someone ever put a bandade anywhere on my body prior to the age of 18, I'd deffinately wouldn't have lived very long.

:D

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Some of these pasty faced liberal kooks want to ban the game of "Tag" from school yards because kids might fall down while running.

I played Hockey in the streets with a flattened evaporated milk can, my legs used to look like two pieces of raw meat all summer long.

Why don't these do-gooder ding dongs put their energy and time into trying to find a way to stop the gang bangers from shooting each other and killing little kids that get in the "line of fire"
    (we all know why but aren't allowed to say it)
    Bastards.
    :bricks:

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

Anyone remember this beaut? We are sooooooo wussified it's truly disturbing. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teachers starting to shun red pens

Color may lower kids' confidence

By Sherry Parmet

STAFF WRITER

October 4, 2004

[​IMG]

EDUARDO CONTRERAS / Union-Tribune
    Pacific Rim Elementary teacher Melanie Irvine doesn't use red pens to mark her third-graders' work. "Purple is a more approachable color," she said.

When term papers get graded this school year, many students who turn in sloppy work won't be seeing red.

An increasingly popular grading theory insists red ink is stressful and demoralizes students, while purple, the preferred color, has a more calming effect.

"I never use red to grade papers because it stands out like, 'Oh, here's what you did wrong.' " said Melanie Irvine, a third-grade teacher at Pacific Rim Elementary in Carlsbad. "Purple is a more approachable color."

Irvine said that in elementary schools, it's unnecessary to point out every error. Instead, a teacher should find a more delicate way to help a child learn.

"This is a kinder, more gentler education system," Paper Mate spokesman Michael Finn said. "And the connotation of red is that it is not as constructive as purple."

"If it's in red, they want to put it in their desks real quickly so nobody else can see," she said. "If it's in another color, they're a little more comfortable."

14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

What I did to my elbow ,I did to my left knee playing street hockey.I was wearing cuttoffs and running as fast as I could someone tripped me, I fell. It was worse than the elbow. Tore a flap of skin off just about down to the bone. :eek:

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

Stop, Stop! I can't take it anymore! You're scaring me, stop! :eek:

:D

16. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Oh RW the red pens thing drives me INSANE. You have to be able to take criticism - it's the only way to improve oneself. Who gives a #@!$ if you "hurt their feelings?" It's like kid's sports now; there's no winners, no scores, it's just all for fun. Just like in actual real life. We're prepping a generation of whiny, babied, spoiled, oversexed brats. I know, I watched neXt on MTV today. I almost committed suicide out of despair.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

MTV is the single most destructive channel on the tube. I'm a kid who grew up when MTV was getting started, and used to love coming home from school and watching music video's. Headbangers Ball, Yo MTV Raps, and that thing where they would play a string of a single artists vids together (what was that called?). Anyhow, it was so cool when it was actual MUSIC VIDEO'S, but now, it's a disgusting, dumbifying, sex filled channel of absolute filth. Seriously, it is an awful, awful channel.

18. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah it's really destructive. But I do miss Headbanger's Ball.

19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

OH and then there was the time I cut my forarm with a chain saw,it was a good thing I had just sharpened the chain.... AAAH I quess i shouldn't go int the gorey details. But RW it didnt hurt,I got stiched by a neuro surgeon. He wasn't very good, he said he was sorry for the scar I was going to have,that I still have. :eek:

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

Rock Block's. That's what they called them. :woohoo:

My brother & a couple of cousins were headbangers and they sued to tape the shows all the time. I liked some of the stuff, but was a rap guy too. Hard not be in Chelsea. Anyhow, I love all types of music. I listen to everything from Van Halen, to Tony Bennett (my fav), to 50 Cent, to SClub7, to Tiesto, to the Thompson Twins, etc... I like it all.