Reaction score
http://nfleurope.com/news/story/9192141

NFL ALLOCATED PLAYER DRAFT 2006
5 Amsterdam Jeff Roehl T New England Patriots Northwestern
9 Rhein Antwain Spann CB New England Patriots Louisiana-Lafayette
13 Rhein Nick Steitz G New England Patriots Oregon
14 Hamburg Earl Charles RB New England Patriots Marshall
19 Berlin Rich Musinski WR New England Patriots William & Mary

Just what happens to allocated players who go "undrafted"?

Interesting they aren't shipping Cassel off to Europe. IMO his omission speaks volumes for the coach staff's opinion of him. They've clearly seen enough to think he can be a legit backup without NFLE reps.

Still, I would have liked for him to have gotten a few games of live action.

So what's with Mortensen already?

(Ventrone i can understand. He's a player.)

Box_O_Rocks said:
http://nfleurope.com/news/story/9192141

NFL ALLOCATED PLAYER DRAFT 2006
5 Amsterdam Jeff Roehl T New England Patriots Northwestern
9 Rhein Antwain Spann CB New England Patriots Louisiana-Lafayette
13 Rhein Nick Steitz G New England Patriots Oregon
14 Hamburg Earl Charles RB New England Patriots Marshall
19 Berlin Rich Musinski WR New England Patriots William & Mary

Just what happens to allocated players who go "undrafted"?

That is weird because Ventrone and Mortensen were both allocated to NFLE to my knowledge.

Ventrone went to the COLOGNE CENTURIONS and Mortensen went to the HAMBURG SEA DEVILS.

The list is here:

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/9191660

I'm not sure, but where Cassell was on the 53 man roster all year, he may not be eligible. I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't true.

PatsSteve1 said:
Ventrone went to the COLOGNE CENTURIONS and Mortensen went to the HAMBURG SEA DEVILS.

The list is here:

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/9191660

I'm not sure, but where Cassell was on the 53 man roster all year, he may not be eligible. I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't true.
So the draft gives the coaches a chance to grab players they want to work with, and the undrafted allocations are then parceled out by the league in a pot-luck giveaway....

Cassell is eligible for NFLE, but his value as a back-up to Brady makes it more important to keep him here working with McDaniels and the O staff to learn the playbook inside and out, not to mention what the off-season conditioning program can do for him both for his readiness to take hits and setting a leadership standard for the team by his own actions (it helped Tommy), he also needs to spend as much time as he can throwing to Deion and Bethel and Ben and Grahambo and whomever else they sign to catch passes.

Box_O_Rocks said:
So the draft gives the coaches a chance to grab players they want to work with, and the undrafted allocations are then parceled out by the league in a pot-luck giveaway....

Cassell is eligible for NFLE, but his value as a back-up to Brady makes it more important to keep him here working with McDaniels and the O staff to learn the playbook inside and out, not to mention what the off-season conditioning program can do for him both for his readiness to take hits and setting a leadership standard for the team by his own actions (it helped Tommy), he also needs to spend as much time as he can throwing to Deion and Bethel and Ben and Grahambo and whomever else they sign to catch passes.
i think the pats have decided cassell will be the #2 next year; no need for a vet... anyone agree or disagree?

PatsWorldChamps said:
i think the pats have decided cassell will be the #2 next year; no need for a vet... anyone agree or disagree?
We need/want a vet whether Cassell is #2 or not.

Box_O_Rocks said:
We need/want a vet whether Cassell is #2 or not.

Ditto. Flip Cassel and Flutie on the depth chart. Done.

Box_O_Rocks said:
So the draft gives the coaches a chance to grab players they want to work with, and the undrafted allocations are then parceled out by the league in a pot-luck giveaway.

It's the other way around. Some NFL-allocated players are assigned to teams, then the remaining NFL-allocated players get drafted, then any non-allocated free agents get drafted. For instance, all of the NFL-allocated quarterbacks were assigned before the draft. (Note that no quarterbacks were listed in the allocated player draft.)

AdamJT13 said:
It's the other way around. Some NFL-allocated players are assigned to teams, then the remaining NFL-allocated players get drafted, then any non-allocated free agents get drafted. For instance, all of the NFL-allocated quarterbacks were assigned before the draft. (Note that no quarterbacks were listed in the allocated player draft.)
If I understand you...BB requested/assigned Mortensen to Hamburg and their Offensive staff, and Ventrone to Cologne with a defensive HC?

Evidently they thought that it would help Cassel out more to stay hear and work with the other players than to "play' in NFLE. Didn't seem to do Rohan that much good in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back