PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WSJ.com - Pats O on verge of breaking another record - most plays from scrimmage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like we break records every week anymore...

;)

Seems like we break records every week anymore...

;)

And we need 32+ points to have the #1 (2007) and #2 highest scoring teams in the history of NFL, surpassing the 2011 Packers (560 points).

And we need 32+ points to have the #1 (2007) and #2 highest scoring teams in the history of NFL, surpassing the 2011 Packers (560 points).

61 points away from breaking our own record. :D

When one of those offensive juggernauts wins a Super Bowl, I'll be impressed. The last ones were the 2009 Saints and the 1999 Rams, and those games were won as much by plays on special teams and defense as by the offenses.

Last edited:
If we scored 40+ with time to spare I'd just go for 62 to beat 07.

Then again I'm not Bill

I'd kind of like to win the super bowl again.

I'd kind of like to win the super bowl again.

Yes my friend, those were my thoughts too when I first read the article and in my hurry, I forgot to add it to my post.

But then, i have a strong feeling that we will this season, whether or not our O breaks any records. :)

It was fascinating to read how the mic goes hush; reminded me of some of the nice action movie scenes in which everything goes in slow motion before the key moment and then bam!

That was a very informative article. Nice insight into how our offense operates.

Thank you for posting that.

One minor quibble: Hernandez doesn't quite strike mas "hulking." :)

Oh. . . . this. :)

Last edited:
When one of those offensive juggernauts wins a Super Bowl, I'll be impressed. The last ones were the 2009 Saints and the 1999 Rams, and those games were won as much by plays on special teams and defense as by the offenses.

Yep. It's nice and all, but, all that really matters is another superbowl VICTORY! :rocker:

2007 and 2011 were both basically within one play of winning it. 2001 Lost it on the two minute drive by Brady. These things happen.

Last edited:

Point taken Mayo but, imho, you have the wrong era. Take a look at the victory over the Rams in 01. The Patriots used the kind of intimidation on their receivers that gets flags and first downs now. They used the kind of bumping and harassment of their receivers that gets flags and first downs now. The NFL has made the decision that offense is what makes money. And any team that has a potent offense (including an OL that can give him the time) will score a lot of points against anyone. I'd point to the 9ers game as an example. When the OL gave TFB time the patriots drove right down on the best defense in the league. IMHO the Patriots, Broncos, Packers among others will score a lot against the 9ers (IF the OL does its job).

While I am not saying defense doesn't matter, it still will especially pressuring the QB, as the years go on it will be too much of a risk for teams to over invest in defense. The NFL will continue to and enhance their favoring of the offense. And I believe SB winners moving forward will be those teams that have potent offenses along with serviceable defenses. I don't necessarily prefer that but it is what it is.....

I always figured that they do this because of simple probability. You have a certain chance of scoring on every drive, and if you think that you can score a higher percentage of the time than your opponent, then you should try to have as many drives as possible in order to allow regression towards the mean. Conversely, if you think you can't keep up in scoring over time, then you should play ball control offense and force as few drives as possible, keeping the game within reach. It's part of the reason football is such an interesting game to me: you don't have to play better than your opponent indefinitely; you only have to play better for the first 60 minutes.

While I am not saying defense doesn't matter, it still will especially pressuring the QB, as the years go on it will be too much of a risk for teams to over invest in defense. The NFL will continue to and enhance their favoring of the offense. And I believe SB winners moving forward will be those teams that have potent offenses along with serviceable defenses. I don't necessarily prefer that but it is what it is.....
It'd be interesting if anyone has performed an analysis on the refereeing during the post season. to my untrained eye, it seems they are more likely to "let them play" and not call as many penalties on the defense. Thus, defenses may actually improve as a result.

Yes my friend, those were my thoughts too when I first read the article and in my hurry, I forgot to add it to my post.

But then, i have a strong feeling that we will this season, whether or not our O breaks any records. :)

It was fascinating to read how the mic goes hush; reminded me of some of the nice action movie scenes in which everything goes in slow motion before the key moment and then bam!

From your keyboard to God's monitor. Don't question my fanhood for this, but I think I'm done with a "strong feeling we'll win it all." 2007 did a number on me. More of an edge-of-the-seat-every-game guy now.

But I sure as hell hope you're right :)

Great read!

New England Patriots Aim for NFL Record: Most Plays From Scrimmage - WSJ.com

Hope we do it tomorrow and head strong into the playoffs.

Go PATS!

There is a reason why other teams are complaining about the Patriots hurry up offense - even going so far as to acknowledge its within the rules but that the officials should flag the Patriots for going too fast for defenses to catch up with.

A lot depends on the OL doing their job when the ball is snapped so quickly - I think they may be tired given the last few games performance - but I'm pretty confident the playoffs will give them second wind.

I also get the feeling that the only way to pull off what the Patriots are doing is with a QB likemBrady. It wouldn't surprise me if McDaniels predicates the frequent snaps knowing that Tom is well equipped to go through his options when the ball is snapped and make the right decision. Unlike past seasons it also appears that he is making more of a point to spread the ball rather than just lean on his binkies.

Last edited:
God. We sound like a bunch of Brees/P.Manning/Marino fans, discovering new "records" we broke or a bunch of Bills fans talking about the "record" of going to four straight SB's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm genuinely happy about, and, as a fan, proud of all the other accomplishments, but the only remaining record that matters is the one that would say: "SB XLVII Champion: Four Lombardi's for Belichick and Brady." That's the only unset record about which people will still be talking 25 years from now.

Last edited:
God. We sound like a bunch of Brees/P.Manning/Marino fans, discovering new "records" we broke or a bunch of Bills fans talking about the "record" of going to four straight SB's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm genuinely happy about, and, as a fan, proud of all the other accomplishments, but the only remaining record that matters is the one that would say: "SB XLVII Champion: Four Lombardi's for Belichick and Brady." That's the only unset record about which people will still be talking 25 years from now.

Hallelujah. Best post ever. :youtheman:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye