PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WSJ: Bills beat Pats at their own game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article basically says that the Pats were hoist by their own petard, the spread offense. Explains how and why the troika of receivers is hard to defend against. That said I watched McCourty lined up directly across his guy fail to bump him off his route with the expected result that the WR speeds downfield while 32 has to do a 180 and trails him until the big catch.

Not up to the usual high standards of the WSJ, one of the few papers remaining that people still feel worth paying for.

It's 2011 and the WSJ just discovered stacking and bunching receivers? :confused:

That wasn't a great article at all. NE isn't known for popularizing the rub, out of a stack formation -- if any team is, it's Indy. And they've been doing it forever...

And if Buffalo used it on Sunday, it wasn't because NE was doing it to them. It's probably because NE has had a lot of trouble over the past few years against it. I'm thinking back to 2008 in particular where Miami burned the Patriots on the goal line with it (and OMG, did our guys look clueless) and then the following week, Indy used it another three times (again, clueless). Again, back in 2008.

Also, I love how the writer equates the stack to all empty set formations; as if it is some sort of "secret weapon" in the NFL.

Even worse he makes it sound like defenses simply don't know what to do when there are *suddenly* five eligible WRs on a play: "All of those receivers buzzing around cause confusion among the defenders. This forces them to fall back into a more reactive zone defense, to make more rushed decisions about whom to cover, and in some delicious cases, to run into one another."

lol

The article is a good one but I don't think I agree with the title of this thread. Bills didn't beat the Pats because of the bunch receiver set.

That wasn't a great article at all. NE isn't known for popularizing the rub, out of a stack formation -- if any team is, it's Indy. And they've been doing it forever...

And if Buffalo used it on Sunday, it wasn't because NE was doing it to them. It's probably because NE has had a lot of trouble over the past few years against it. ... defenses simply don't know what to do when there are *suddenly* five eligible WRs on a play: "All of those receivers buzzing around cause confusion among the defenders. This forces them to fall back into a more reactive zone defense, to make more rushed decisions about whom to cover, and in some delicious cases, to run into one another."

lol

Fool!
Doesn't he know we cut Merriweather?

The beginning, the middle and the end of our loss against the Bills is that if two Brady passes hadn't been tipped into defenders' hands, the Patriots would have had two more touchdowns and the Bills would have had two less. It's really just that simple.

Good article.

Hopefully, most get a chance to read it before the Gestapo move it.

MOVED: ..WSJ: Bills beat Pats at their own game.

Sorry I moved it as I slightly did not like.

Why is everyone attempting to make something of the Bills beating the Pats? It was damn simple how the Bills beat the Pats - Brady throws 4 interceptions, 1 for a pick 6 and the defense couldn't be counted on when needed. There's not much else to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back