PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WSJ: Bill Simmons signs deal with HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome news as I am a fan, no more censorship! Go get em Billy!

I think a Simmons/Curran or Reiss show would be off the charts I know Boston is too small of a market for Simmons anymore but man can you imagine? I'm can't wait to hear Simmons with no filter, sort of like his old Sports Guy .com stuff. I wonder how much honesty and creative journalism ESPN has and is suppressing from its employees?

Guess we'll find out now!

Flew to Detroit this morning and Jeremy Schaap was on the flight. Told him he was the last decent personality on ESPN. He did not reply, not that I expected one. And frankly, I was the only one who knew who he was.

Simmons on HBO is going to be awesome. Can't wait for his show, interested to see where he ends up writing.

WOW! That was long, Brandon, but well worth the read. I have always loved Simmons even if I don't agree with him all the time. He works hard to give us more than just the obvious and takes his time to do it. Plus being an unmitigated Boston fan doesn't hurt either. ;)

As for the possibility that he might be more aggressive in his attack on Goodell now that he isn't being reined in by ESPN there was a quote from his "retro diary" that might give us an indication.

Patriots fans took Deflategate personally, and with reason — it was a shoddily reported story that never added up. Belichick and Robert Kraft remained defiant that the team did nothing wrong; the fans followed suit. It’s always fun to root for a champ, but when it becomes “us against them,” it resonates in a totally different way.

Kraft might have taken a step back from Simmons Jan 2015 characterization, but the rest of his sentiments still holds true. It might take awhile, because he covers all sports, but I feel that he will eventually get around to it. When the league finally announces the appeal decision might be a good time.

cowherd to fox sports. everybody is movin

I wonder for his articles, mailbag if he will use his own website or jump with Fox Sports

I just got stiff. We all know he is going to slam ESPN, the NFL office, and most importantly, Goodell, in epic fashion. I expect this sooner rather than later. So glad I have HBO.

Flew to Detroit this morning and Jeremy Schaap was on the flight. Told him he was the last decent personality on ESPN. He did not reply, not that I expected one. And frankly, I was the only one who knew who he was.
When he failed to reply you should've pulled a Bobby Knight and told him, "Ya know, you have a long way to go to be in the same league with your father."

When he failed to reply you should've pulled a Bobby Knight and told him, "Ya know, you have a long way to go to be in the same league with your father."

His father was tremendous.

HBO and NFL have a good thing going with hardknocks. if you really think HBO is going to let bill simmons mess that up you have another thing coming.

HBO and NFL have a good thing going with hardknocks. if you really think HBO is going to let bill simmons mess that up you have another thing coming.

Ballers? Makes me think HBO will give Simmons carte blanche or he would have gone elsewhere...showtime perhaps.

My guess is that Hard Knocks will now be following Inside the NFL over to Showtime in the near future.

I have been thinking a lot about the NFL's abuse of their monopoly status lately, They are essentially enforcing a code of Omerta among the networks and media who have contacts with them. There is no questioning of league activities and those who do pay a price for it. So what we are stuck with is NFL sponsored programs on every issue regarding the league. It's way past time for congress to end the their anti trust exemption. I will give big props to those willing to call them out on the frame job and railroading of the Patriots. I won't ever listen to anything the league ballwashers, e.g....Mortenson, Clayton etc..... Have to say.

HBO allows Bill Maher to eviscerate half of the registered voters in this country weekly......yet HBO will censor Simmons for NFL negativity??? Please!! Hard Knocks is a bit piece of HBO's Empire and given the reluctance of marquis teams to participate, I doubt HBO is sweating it.....and....I would bet their fake NFL show Ballers crushes Hard Knocks in the ratings dept. Frankly, I think the NFL gets more out of Hard Knocks than HBO does.
Furthermore....do you really think Simmons would be going to a Network that is going to censor him from tearing down certain sacred cows....like his last employer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes