Quinten Porter - 4.72

Last edited:
So I guess Paul Pinegar is more like Brady than we thought. :D

[Do they do multiple trials, or do they only get one shot?]

ctpatsfan77 said:
So I guess Paul Pinegar is more like Brady than we thought. :D

[Do they do multiple trials, or do they only get one shot?]

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2000/combine-qb.html

Paul Pingar has better number than Brady (5.12 vs 5.27).

Also, Brady was only 211 lbs at 6'4 and 1/2.

Skinny and slow.

This means if Brady were being drafted this year, he will still end up in the 6th round. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for posting info Drew. A bit harsh on Jeremy Bloom
aren't we? 4.49 disappointing. He was training and participating
in that little thing called the Olympics last week!!

patsfaninpa said:
Thanks for posting info Drew. A bit harsh on Jeremy Bloom
aren't we? 4.49 disappointing. He was training and participating
in that little thing called the Olympics last week!!
His main strength though was supposed to be his speed, and people were expecting better.

drew4008 said:
Mostly unofficial for now...

Italics on surprisingly GOOD times
Underline on surprisingly BAD times

WRs
Mike Hass - 4.61
Jerious Norwood - 4.40
Derek Hagan - 4.45
Chris Hannon - 4.43
Jeremy Bloom - 4.49
Chad Jackson - 4.32
Devin Aromashodu - 4.35
Ben Obomanu - 4.41
Adam Jennings - 4.49
Greg Jennings - 4.41
Greg Lee - 4.62
Brandon Marshall - 4.50
Sinorice Moss - 4.34
Martin Nance - 4.58
Jonathan Orr - 4.49
Cory Rodgers - 4.66
Richie Ross - 4.66
Willie Reid - 4.41
Maurice Stovall - 4.58
Clinton Solomon - 4.62
Jeff Webb - 4.37
Brandon Williams - 4.49
Travis Wilson - 4.48

QBs
Jay Cutler - 4.75
Bruce Gradkowski - 4.59
Omar Jacobs - 4.83
Barrick Nealy - 4.64
Reggie McNeal - 4.39
DJ Shockley - 4.56
Brad Smith - 4.54
Kent Smith - 4.74
Charlie Whitehurst - 4.75
Paul Pinegar - 5.12
Marcus Vick - 4.54
Quinten Porter - 4.72

Umm.. A few things. What did you use to determine who had a suprisingly bad time vs. who had a surprisingly good time?

I ask because guys like Martin Nance had a timed speed of 4.58 prior to the draft. Mike Hass also had a 4.58 so to be .03 off to 4.61 isn't that big of a deel .

Guys like Greg Lee who were thought to break 4.5, yes, they are a let down. As is Cory Rodgers.

DaBruinz said:
Umm.. A few things. What did you use to determine who had a suprisingly bad time vs. who had a surprisingly good time?

I ask because guys like Martin Nance had a timed speed of 4.58 prior to the draft. Mike Hass also had a 4.58 so to be .03 off to 4.61 isn't that big of a deel .

Guys like Greg Lee who were thought to break 4.5, yes, they are a let down. As is Cory Rodgers.
Just players who people had hopes for that they would run a better/worse time.

Martin Nance supposedly was the best size/speed package at WR in the draft, and could run 4.35... yet he majorly disappointed. And I know a knock on Hass was that people thought he would run a little slower, but it was never really known how fast he was, and this proved that he's surely not a blazer. If you have questions on any of the others I can try and talk about them as well.

When I think of wr 40 times I think of Tony Simmons or whatever that Pete Carrol/Grier pick was. It always reminds me that speed isn't everything. It does peak interest though.

re:

Tom Brady is slow as hell.

Jerry Rice had slow 40 times.

40 times don't mean much to me, especially when players aren't running around in full gear. How much information do you expect to get from someone running 40 yards in shorts?

All that matters is football ability and playing speed.

Patriot Missile said:
When I think of wr 40 times I think of Tony Simmons or whatever that Pete Carrol/Grier pick was. It always reminds me that speed isn't everything. It does peak interest though.

I watched the Combine and in my opinion the best receiver there was "slow" Mike Hass. He just positions himself well for the ball, snags them with his hands and reminds me of Fred Beilitnikoff, another guy who "couldn't run". All he could do is catch balls, lots and lots of them. Most of the speed weenies aren't as good a Bethel J,

Is that what you guys really want??

AzPatsFan said:
I watched the Combine and in my opinion the best receiver there was "slow" Mike Hass. He just positions himself well for the ball, snags them with his hands and reminds me of Fred Beilitnikoff, another guy who "couldn't run". All he could do is catch balls, lots and lots of them. Most of the speed weenies aren't as good a Bethel J,

Is that what you guys really want??
I know people hark on 40 times being overrated, but truthfully, that is a very important gauge of where the player is drafted, and thus how early he will likely get his shot. A first or second round pick who elevated his stock because of a good 40 time is likely going to step in earlier and give himself an opportunity earlier, whereas someone who has dropped off and is a 2nd day pick is not. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, ie. David Givens, but the above is the general rule of thumb. And just because we've had it work before (Troy, Givens) doesn't necessarily mean we should hope for the same result over and over again... "Lightning doesn't strike the same spot twice".

By the way, Skyler Green who ran Saturday and supposedly the Pats have shown interest in is Jarvis Green's cousin.

J D Sal

drew4008 said:
I know people hark on 40 times being overrated, but truthfully, that is a very important gauge of where the player is drafted, and thus how early he will likely get his shot. A first or second round pick who elevated his stock because of a good 40 time is likely going to step in earlier and give himself an opportunity earlier, whereas someone who has dropped off and is a 2nd day pick is not. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, ie. David Givens, but the above is the general rule of thumb. And just because we've had it work before (Troy, Givens) doesn't necessarily mean we should hope for the same result over and over again... "Lightning doesn't strike the same spot twice".

BB/Pioli don't put much stock in combine speeds...they are way more interested in GAME speed, quickness out of breaks and getting to the right spots on routes. Remember Tony Simmons? Wow, what a speed demon!! Couldn't play worth a damn but GOLLY GEE WHIZ he was fast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes