PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wright's salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miguel:
Based on both your football & your salary cap experience, do you feel that Wright is being overpaid with this contract?

Miguel:
Based on both your football & your salary cap experience, do you feel that Wright is being overpaid with this contract?

Not at all. He is being paid like a backup. And if he becomes a starter he is a very inexpensive starter.

Not at all. He is being paid like a backup. And if he becomes a starter he is a very inexpensive starter.

What do you consider "very inexpensive"? If I understand it correctly, if he were for some reason to become a full-time starter this year, the Pats would have to pay him $17.5M over the four years. . . .

What do you consider "very inexpensive"? If I understand it correctly, if he were for some reason to become a full-time starter this year, the Pats would have to pay him $17.5M over the four years. . . .

I had taken the escalator talk that Wright would have to earn some money each and every year. Your deal is not one that the Patriots usually do.

I had taken the escalator talk that Wright would have to earn some money each and every year. Your deal is not one that the Patriots usually do.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer: if Wright became a full-time starter beginning this year, and remains a starter, it's supposedly worth $17.5M.

I understand how some people may consider a player "overpaid", based on their judgment of that players ability. I'm not going to argue that, since it is subjective.

However, Wright was a free agent. He reportedly had 3 other teams (besides the Pats) interested in him, visiting two. The market set his price, so can he be considered "overpaid"? He is being paid what the free agent market set for him.

Thanks.

I'm afraid to even ask about the lil' Jimmy Sanders contract.

A fellow amateur capologist emailed me this:

You may have already seen this, but I noticed that Mike Wright’s future base salaries changed from a week ago. Starting in 2010, they’re now showing as $1.2 million, $1.24 million, and $1.28 million. I know that Gasper had reported a $1.8 million signing bonus as part of the deal, but I’m kinda thinking that maybe it was a first-year option or some kind of guaranteed salary advance, and hence the lowered future bases. The total reduction across the three years amounts to $2.1 million, which I’m kinda thinking could be the $1.8 million plus $100,000 in workout bonuses in each of those years. Why it would have been structured that way, though, I really can’t imagine.

So now, the total reported amount of his deal is $6.74 million.

Curiouser and Curiouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing