PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wright to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks but, it you can't risk Wright's longterm health. Hopefully it doesn't effect wright in the long term and he can't come back next year if not. Best wishes to him.

Not surprised but i am really worried about this DL now being very thin.Not good!:mad::(

I dunno, the DL hasn't been too awful. He hasn't played since the game vs Indy so it's not like we haven't won a game since he went down. Its all the other injuries that worry me. Wright has been a non factor for weeks now. I still wish him the best and hope he can recover. I also pray that the rumors we heard about how bad it is are just that ...rumors.

Last edited:
The poster you quoted is correct. The Colts have exactly 16 players on IR.

What team do you believe has more then them?

Actually I believe the Colts have 21 on IR only exceeded by Detroit 22

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Date Pos Player Injury NFL Status
12/22/10 WR Austin Collie CONCUSSION IR
12/08/10 S Bob Sanders BICEPS IR
12/07/10 CB Jerraud Powers ARM IR
11/30/10 LB Cody Glenn NECK IR
11/24/10 DB Chip Vaughn IR
11/06/10 WR Anthony Gonzalez KNEE IR
10/25/10 TE Dallas Clark IR
10/20/10 CB Brandon King HAMSTRING IR
10/06/10 SS Melvin Bullitt IR
10/06/10 RB Devin Moore IR
09/07/10 CB Glenn Sharpe IR
09/01/10 DB Kevin Thomas IR
08/28/10 DB Marcus McCauley IR
08/24/10 DB Jordan Hemby IR
08/20/10 DB Donye McCleskey IR
08/20/10 FS Jamie Silva IR
08/17/10 DB David Caldwell IR
08/12/10 DT John Gill IR
08/05/10 TE Tom Santi IR
08/01/10 T Gerald Cadogan IR
07/31/10 K Brett Swenson IR

Bills - 17
Panthers -19
Bengals - 18
LIONS - 22 **
Jaguars - 18
Texans - 19
Browns - 18

The JETS ?

** SIX *

12/04/10 S Jim Leonhard BROKEN LEG IR
09/17/10 NT Kris Jenkins IR
09/11/10 QB Kevin O'Connell IR
09/06/10 QB Erik Ainge IR
08/24/10 DT Ropati Pitoitua IR
08/17/10 G Marlon Davis IR

Hope his long term well being isn't in jeopardy, Get well son and hopefully back healthy next year. No reason to put a player at risk to win a game.

Did I really count 12 DB's of the colts 21 on ir? And the run defense is their issue? The colts are a confusing team.

Deaderick suspension was lifted.

I recall the initial injury report for Wright stating "head, neck".

I kind of think there is a neck/spine issue as well as someone mentioned earlier.

Actually I believe the Colts have 21 on IR only exceeded by Detroit 22

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
12/22/10 WR Austin Collie CONCUSSION IR
12/08/10 S Bob Sanders BICEPS IR
12/07/10 CB Jerraud Powers ARM IR
11/30/10 LB Cody Glenn NECK IR
11/24/10 DB Chip Vaughn IR
11/06/10 WR Anthony Gonzalez KNEE IR
10/25/10 TE Dallas Clark IR
10/20/10 CB Brandon King HAMSTRING IR
10/06/10 SS Melvin Bullitt IR
10/06/10 RB Devin Moore IR
09/07/10 CB Glenn Sharpe IR
09/01/10 DB Kevin Thomas IR
08/28/10 DB Marcus McCauley IR
08/24/10 DB Jordan Hemby IR
08/20/10 DB Donye McCleskey IR
08/20/10 FS Jamie Silva IR
08/17/10 DB David Caldwell IR
08/12/10 DT John Gill IR
08/05/10 TE Tom Santi IR
08/01/10 T Gerald Cadogan IR
07/31/10 K Brett Swenson IR

At first I was ready to eat some major crow, but selecting a few of the names off the bottom of that list demonstrates that many of those players were not IR'd, but were waived with injury settlements during camp. The Pats do that with lots of players too that nobody counts as IR players because they were camp fodder.

I believe their official NFL status is "waived/injured." The team did not consider them valuable enough to pay their contract and retain their rights. The Colts "only" have 16 players on injured reserve, vs. our 13/14, depending on whether you count Darnell Jenkins.

Last edited:
Clearly not an ordinary concussion. Wish Wright the best.

Get well soon Wright!

I hope our dline can cope with it.

I thought all reserve lists in the NFL were for the season (else a team could stash players beyond 53 on their roster by "suspending" and "reinstating" them as-needed).
There are rules regarding suspensions. Has to be a reason.

Did anyone actually see what happened to Wright? I don't recall any replays of the injury.

Brace and Wright had diff strengths, the former was strong vs run and later vs pass. The Pats certainly need players to step up and fill their specialized roles and as you mention they've done that down the stretch this season. Pats have allowed an avg of 9.4 pts per game last 5 games.

If this happened earlier in the season. I'd be more concerned but I think Big Vince, G.Warren, Love and Pryor will step up and be solid. The Pats really limited Warren's snaps last three games of season so hopefully he's reenergized for playoffs.
Not saying its a good situation, just that its about the same one we've been in for close to 2 months and its worked out so far.

We now have Wilfork, Warren, Deadrick, Pryor, Love and Cohen
and will need to use 3 of them on half or less of the plays and 2 on the other half or more.

best wishes - the most important matter is that he will return healthy

thks for the good season too - he playied well

Isn't Ellison still on the team? I would expect that he has a couple of more days.

Not saying its a good situation, just that its about the same one we've been in for close to 2 months and its worked out so far.

and will need to use 3 of them on half or less of the plays and 2 on the other half or more.

Yeah this is almost exactly what I tried saying. We didn't get worse when Wright went to IR, we'd be better with him, absolutely, but it's not like he's been making an impact over the past month or 2 because he hasn't seen the field.

Yeah this is almost exactly what I tried saying. We didn't get worse when Wright went to IR, we'd be better with him, absolutely, but it's not like he's been making an impact over the past month or 2 because he hasn't seen the field.
Here are snaps played for the DL.

DL Vince Wilfork -- 769 of 1,101 (69.8 percent)
DL Gerard Warren -- 505 of 1,101 (45.9 percent)
DL Mike Wright -- 316 of 1,101 (28.7 percent)
DL Ron Brace -- 283 of 1,101 (25.7 perecent)
DL Myron Pryor -- 237 of 1,101 (21.5 percent)
DL Brandon Deaderick -- 220 of 1,101 (20.0 percent)
DL Kyle Love -- 151 of 1,101 (13.7 percent)
DL Landon Cohen -- 69 of 1,101 (6.3 percent)

So out of approximately 69 snaps per game, the DLman have averged

Wilfork 48
Warren 32
Wright 20
Brace 18
Pryor 15
Deaderick 14
Love 9
Cohen 4

So we must replace 38 snaps, about equally in base and sub

I think it is safe to say that Pryor can replace the 19 sub package snaps, bringing him to about 34 (with all the games he has missed it seems he averages over 25 when he plays anyway) and Deaderick and Love would combine to play 42 plays insrtead of 23. That is assuming Vince stays at his 48 or so and Warren at 32 or so.

The DL total to play a combined 160 snaps in the avg 69 plays which works out to 2 DL on 47 plays and 3 on 22 or about 2/3s of the plays we only us 2 DLs.

Isn't Ellison still on the team? I would expect that he has a couple of more days.
Yes. But I dont see playing time for him, given the post I just wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back