Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

September 16, 2006
Wright stuff

Second-year defensive lineman Mike Wright continues to make his mark. The latest feather in Wright's cap came when he was named the team's practice player of the week. Wright wore a black jersey at Friday's practice to signify the honor.

The 6-foot-4, 295-pound Wright made the Patriots as a rookie free agent in 2005. He played in 13 games last season, totaling 16 tackles.

Wright is on several of the Patriots' special teams units this season. He also adds depth on the defensive line at end and nose tackle.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 10:43:14 AM

Last edited:
That's a great honor, especially in the BB world. Having spent many years as a high school football coach, I know how important it is to practice hard. This kid is special.

OT: That's why I hope the Celtics don't trade for Iverson given his views on practicing. Even though I could care less about the Celtics, I don't want to have to see AI on the TV and on the pages of the Globe and Herald. I think he sends a poor message to kids as well.

jefmblrd said:
That's a great honor, especially in the BB world. Having spent many years as a high school football coach, I know how important it is to practice hard. This kid is special.

OT: That's why I hope the Celtics don't trade for Iverson given his views on practicing. Even though I could care less about the Celtics, I don't want to have to see AI on the TV and on the pages of the Globe and Herald. I think he sends a poor message to kids as well.

practice? we talking about practice, we aint talking about the game. Practice? praactice?

emoney_33 said:
practice? we talking about practice, we aint talking about the game. Practice? praactice?

I mean... it's practice, you know... practice

emoney_33 said:

Exactly! What an attitude. If AI were a football player, he'd be on the Bizarro-Patriots.

I didn't notice until watching a review of the game on Comcast, but Wright was in the game on the 4th and 1 stop. He and Wilfork took out the C and both guards by themselves, which is why McGahee had to slow down and cut to his right.

That was a big moment to have Wright in there. He is just flying up the charts right now. If it weren't for the fact that NE's big 3 are possibly the best in the league, he would be a sure starter, and a good one at that.

emoney_33 said:
And Belichick isn't interested in how guys practice, is he ?

:bricks:

Oswlek said:
That was a big moment to have Wright in there. He is just flying up the charts right now. If it weren't for the fact that NE's big 3 are possibly the best in the league, he would be a sure starter, and a good one at that.

Anyone else think "late first-day pick" when they see that? :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, kudos to TPTB for finding him. :)

Oswlek said:
I didn't notice until watching a review of the game on Comcast, but Wright was in the game on the 4th and 1 stop. He and Wilfork took out the C and both guards by themselves, which is why McGahee had to slow down and cut to his right.

In his second year out of powerhouse Cincinnati, undrafted. So anybody else want to talk about how Marquise Hill's only problem is the quality of depth he's looking up at?

patchick said:
In his second year out of powerhouse Cincinnati, undrafted. So anybody else want to talk about how Marquise Hill's only problem is the quality of depth he's looking up at?

If Hill had Wright's heart (and brains), he'd be the best DL in the league.

IMO, if Wright were the draft pick and Hill the UDFA, Hill would be unemployed. I'm happy for the kid and he's obviously a hard worker. I replied to the "Are the Pats cheap if they don't Spend to the Cap" post that there are a lot of ways to spend cap space w/o overspending for players. It might be a good idea to give this kid a raise for this year, just as a reward and make it more likely he'd sign a new contract at some point of they really think he's that valuable of a backup. It'd show other players if they practice hard they might get a raise, too. It 'could' open the flood gates, but if they don't spend that cap space somewhere, it's losing it.

patchick said:

If it helps any, I wrote on another board last year something to this effect:

In a year or two, we will all be talking about Hill exactly as we are about Davey now.

I still believe that to be the truth, although I do think people overestimate the #2 pick effect. If BB/SP were really that concerned over sunk cost, they wouldn't have made some of the moves that they have. They must truly believe that they guy can be a good player. When? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back