PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR XXX has been cut.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I think they'll be a ton of threads about every wide receiver cut that has ANY possible chance of being signed...First it was Troy Edwards, now Rashaun Woods..Don't you think the Patriots have guys in mind they are waiting and seeing if they get cut??? Or better yet ones that MAY be cut who they coould trade for?? I tend to think they absolutely know what they want in a WR and have their eyes on a few of them...that is of course IF Branch does not end his hold out. I think Friday evening will be a wild time if Branch balks and refuses to return...and I have a gut feeling he won't. There may be some interesting speculation of who is on the bubble on some of these teams..and who the Patriots might want to lead the WR corps. A vet?? Would they bring in more than one?? There could be a big deal in the makings that will make it clear that this team is going to make a run at the Lombardi again. Certainly, it will be a receiver with speed and maybe a vet who only has a few years left in the tank. (I think of the move the Patriots nade after Stingley was injured...bringing in Harold Jackson to yeam with Stanley Morgan.) I would like Branch back, but PLAN A is in his hands...and this is one EZ pass he has dropped.

Pats726 said:
I think they'll be a ton of threads about every wide receiver cut that has ANY possible chance of being signed...First it was Troy Edwards, now Rashaun Woods..Don't you think the Patriots have guys in mind they are waiting and seeing if they get cut??? Or better yet ones that MAY be cut who they coould trade for?? I tend to think they absolutely know what they want in a WR and have their eyes on a few of them...that is of course IF Branch does not end his hold out. I think Friday evening will be a wild time if Branch balks and refuses to return...and I have a gut feeling he won't. There may be some interesting speculation of who is on the bubble on some of these teams..and who the Patriots might want to lead the WR corps. A vet?? Would they bring in more than one?? There could be a big deal in the makings that will make it clear that this team is going to make a run at the Lombardi again. Certainly, it will be a receiver with speed and maybe a vet who only has a few years left in the tank. (I think of the move the Patriots nade after Stingley was injured...bringing in Harold Jackson to yeam with Stanley RB,Morgan.) I would like Branch back, but PLAN A is in his hands...and this is one EZ pass he has dropped.

You beat me to the topic - I was all set to post what you wrote. Our WR corp is going to change dramatically over the next week. I even think a surprise cut may very well be coming as in - goodbye Reche Caldwell!! He did not practice today and has really looked lost and out of synch in games.

I look for the return of Branch, but also think we make moves ot pick up a WR or three from other teams cuts and/or a trade of some sort involving any of our 14 draft choices in 2007 or someone talented we are about to cut (a DL or OL is where we are very deep).

This may be an unpopular stance, but I think our collective concern over receivers has been given too much import. Whilst people talk about the need to keep the defense honest, the impact of a #1 receiver, stretch the field, etc., the basis of an offense is simply to move forward. Pittsburgh, (yeah, yeah..) and like teams, has had historical success by building a strong running game. Old-school, smashmouth football, a style I imagine Belichick would be more than happy with. I know this is the NFL and not high school friday night games, but a steady supply of 7-8 yard gains that keep the defense off the field, coupled with a big play here and there, will win more games than not. Brady, fortunately for us, is perfectly suited to this, as are our backfield and ends. Last I knew, Chad Jackson is one fast mo-fo with grip-tight fingers and is, in fact, a salaried employee. Yes, I would love nothing more for Brady to have the receiving corps that Manning or Palmer have (and he deserves it), but a football TEAM is built to win the GAME, not our fantasy or entertainment IDEAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back