PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR versus LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I was looking at the next level scouting report and something jumped out at me from the Ohio State report.

http://www.nextlevelscoutinginc.com/...ew&id=13&Itemi d=28

Santonio Holmes was judged the only first round WR until Jackson's workout warrior efforts, at the combine awed the stopwatch scouts, and he too became a first round candidate.

No, I would not infer that Carpenter's attitude ruined him from the report.

Did you look at what Carpenter ran the short shuttle and 3 cone in AS COMPARED to Santonio Holmes the WR? Holmes ran a 4.22 versus Carps 4.28 and a 3 cone at 6.82 versus Carp's 6.80.

IOW, the big, heavy, presumed clumsy, presumed unathletic LB, out coned and just about matched the short shuttle of the presumed speedy gazelle WR! Now either the gazelle is highly OVERATED or Carpenter is highly UNDERATED.

Which is it?

AzPatsFan said:
I was looking at the next level scouting report and something jumped out at me from the Ohio State report.

Santonio Holmes was judged the only first round WR until Jackson's workout warrior efforts, at the combine awed the stopwatch scouts, and he too became a first round candidate.

Did you look at what Carpenter ran the short shuttle and 3 cone in AS COMPARED to Santonio Holmes the WR? Holmes ran a 4.22 versus Carps 4.28 and a 3 cone at 6.82 versus Carp's 6.80.

IOW, the big, heavy, presumed clumsy, presumed unathletic LB, out coned and just about matched the short shuttle of the presumed speedy gazelle WR! Now either the gazelle is highly OVERATED or Carpenter is highly UNDERATED.

Which is it?

That's some stop watch if its clocking anyone at 4.22 and a LB at 4.28!

Regardless I think the word is out about Carpenter and I don't view him as under-rated anymore.

Some of these guys like Carpenter and others moving up the board might push a Holmes or Jackson down the board some, but most mocks still have the WRs going before we pick.

As I've said before I think BB could surprise 99% of the folks on this board and make a move for one of the premier WRs. When your team's biggest asset is its QB you need to give him someone to throw downfield to, and without players who can stretch the field you make it that much easier for opposing defenses to key in on the short game and put additional pressure (and hits) on Brady.

Unless BB works a draft day trade to address the #2 WR spot with a veteran, I expect he'll not risk coming out of the draft without a highly touted WR prospect.

So its not a question of LB not being a priority - its simply a question of who is available and at what price if there is a need to move up.

AzPatsFan said:

Which is it?

Who ever said that carpenter was clumsy, too big and unathletic?? i have never heard that about him. Just watch him play, and read his reports at the combine. the kid is definately athletic, or even read tom currans draft report or anyone elses for that matter. I have NEVER seen those words thrown around about him.

The draft seems to be about 3 rounds deep in WR and LB. After watching the top 7 in each category in IN-Demand last night, I was thrilled. I'll take any 2 of the 14 positional players they showed.

WR out of Michingan...Avant could be a steal.

For those with the Pro Football Weekly Draft Inner Circle, there's a really good set of opinions from scouts from yesterday. I wish I could just post the whole thing but this will suffice for the WR :

"A lot of receivers are going to get drafted higher than they should. This is the worst receiving class I have seen since I have begun evaluating.â€

AzPatsFan said:

Which is it?

I vote for option #3 - the workout numbers are highly overated when it comes to evaluating prospects.

BelichickFan said:
For those with the Pro Football Weekly Draft Inner Circle, there's a really good set of opinions from scouts from yesterday. I wish I could just post the whole thing but this will suffice for the WR :

"A lot of receivers are going to get drafted higher than they should. This is the worst receiving class I have seen since I have begun evaluating.â€

Yeah, let everyone else jump on the Wr's, it will make the guys that we REALLY need to drop even further.

AzPatsFan said:

Which is it?

Carpenter actually slipped once during his shuttle time. I asked him about it because his shuttle seemed out of line with his cone and forty times, and he told me that he slipped on his second plant. He is really more in the 4.1-4.15 range on the shuttle (and shuttle times are hugely important for pass rushers because you need good acceleration).

I'm sorry for the duplicate post, I couldn't find the first one and thsought it got lost somehow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes