PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Titus Young (Boise St.) off-field concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachhead

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the Senior Bowl coverage on NFLN yesterday and today I heard a few oblique allusions to Young's character and off-field issues.

Does anyone know anything more specific? (arrest record, rumors, etc.) Links would be great. But any info would be appreciated. I hope I heard the NFLN guys wrong. I've liked Young as a deep threat for months. But I'm a real PITA when it comes to turning on prospects with off-field issues.

Last edited:
Every report I found says that nothing has been released.

Haven't heard of those but what concerns me more is that he apparently has bad hands. You can have all the speed in the world but it won't help if you drop the ball.

Titus Young WR Boise State 5112 174 31 9

Monday Practice Notes: Young looked spectacular at the beginning of practice. He was the quickest, fastest and most explosive of all the receivers. Easily beat defenders off the snap then got a step on them down the field. Unfortunately as the day proceeded Young dropped more and more passes.
Tuesday Practice Notes: Much more consistent catching the ball. Far and away the quickest, fastest and best route runner on the North.

Senior Bowl Practice Reports: North

Here is a recap from NFLDraftScout.com. It was posted on their site on 11/23/10

NFLDraftscout.com said:
It wasn't that long ago that Young's career with the Broncos was in question. He was sent to the bench for most of the 2008 season, the reason still kept quiet by Boise State's coaches, but Young was banned from team activities for most of that time. His sophomore season was limited to just three games as he quickly went from a freshman star to a sophomore potentially on the outs. He didn't play after Oct. 1 of that season, and was left watching as the Broncos ran through yet another perfect regular season. Young had a choice at the end of 2008: correct his attitude and fall in with what Petersen demanded, or find somewhere new to play.

Please note the section that I highlighted in BOLD. This leads me to believe it was a maturity issue on Young's part. Based on the fact that he played in 26 straight games, I think whatever issue was there is laid to rest.

This guy is my favorite WR in the draft outside of AJ Green and Julio Jones. Young runs crisp routes, gets in and out of his breaks cleanly without gearing down, and he can run the Patriot route tree. He has outstanding quickness, athleticism, and agility. He has excellent speed, a burst, and huge production in college. This kid is tough and not afraid to go over the middle. He could be the deep threat we need and consistently seperates from coverage when going deep.

He needs to get more focused and improve his concentration as well as improve his blocking but hes great at everything else. Hes also a dynamic kick returner.

I really think the draft is where you can find some good WRs. Look at what Pittsburgh did the last two years (Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanuel Sanders). These three are now their best WRs with Ward still the possession guy. I remember loving Sanders last year too but I still think Price could be good. Anyways, Id love to get Young considering Tate doesnt impress me and that Branch and Welker are coming into contract years in their 30s.

Character issues. If you make a mistake or two, it doesn't mean you have character issues. They were saying the same thing about Aaron Hernandez and Percy Harvin for smoking weed. Unless the mistakes are chronic or show an inability to be coached, I ignore "character issue" concerns.

It is almost impossible to find a big WR that does not have character concerns. Larry Fitz and Branch are two exceptions but there are a lot of guys out there that make Randy Moss seem like a boyscout. I think that the Patriots will have to lower their saintly standards if they want a new game-breaker in the mold of Moss....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes