PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR/TE sitchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruschiOnTap

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I usually don't get very X and Os on here but something's been bothering me. There have been so many threads about trading Daniel Graham and moving Graham to slot, etc. etc., but nobody seems to have any loss of confidence concerning our WR situation, despite the loss of Givens.

Drafting Chad Jackson makes me cautiously optimistic about our recieving corps, but will Troy Brown still have what it takes for one more season? Will either one of them consistenly take defensive attention away from Branch? Nobody seems very optimistic about Bethel Johnson, where does he fit into the mix? Do we have a solid #2 guy? the consensus seems to put Brown at slot... does anyone fear he might have lost a step at his age?

Then I've seen mentionings of more liberal use of 3TE sets, which I find exciting, to say the least. If this is indeed the case then I think we are going to re-emerge like our 2004 team, running the ball hard and busting opponents in the teeth, followed by plenty of misdirection/trick plays.

Am I way off the mark here?

I think we've all acknowledged that going from Givens to either Caldwell or Jackson is a potential downgrade. IMO there's a decent chance that one of the two will be able to do what Givens could but it's by no means certain.

Offsetting this risk somewhat is that Graham was hurt most of the second half of last year, only playing when Watson was out. If Graham and Watson can stay healthy, or Thomas is a solid TE recieving threat, that would alleviate some of the need for production from Givens' spot. Additionally we should have a much stronger running game with Dillon and Maroney compared to last year when Dillon was hurt most of the year and Faulk was out for a long time too.

Bottom line, there is a definite chance neither Caldwell nor Jackson will be up to the task. But we are somewhat covered as we have two WR competing for the spot who have the potential to do it, a deeper group of receiving TE and a deeper group of RB.

BruschiOnTap said:
Nobody seems very optimistic about Bethel Johnson, where does he fit into the mix?

Am I way off the mark here?

You are with Bethel. That's a question you're going to have to ask Saints fans. ;)

6/5/06 - Traded WR Bethel Johnson to New Orleans for DL Johnathan Sullivan.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
You are with Bethel. That's a question you're going to have to ask Saints fans. ;)

pats1: *smacking forehead* duh! kept Bethel on my madden team, I need start separating video games and reality a little better! (After further review I like the potential of this trade but I was a silent Bethel-backer)

BelichickFan: thanks for clarifying. This is kinda obvious, but I think the key is whether or not our ground game regains its swagger and how much our bench WRs can contribute. I'm worried about our depth at the position but also excited by the potential of Jackson and Moroney, in the case of injury. We usually manage to overcome injuries pretty well on defense but I see question marks down the depth chart at WR. People are either really optimistic or tend to say the sky is falling around here, but I don't think I know enough to say either way.

I'm curious how much Jackson will actually contribute this season. I know he's a rookie but there seems to be such a positive buzz about him from the media and people here on the board. I hope he lives up to it and maybe saves us on a key 3rd and long...

Last edited:
I have no concerns about losing Givens. Givens was a below average receiver and his production will be replaced with no problem by Caldwell and the Prodigy...

PonyExpress said:
Givens was a below average receiver
I'm not going there. He was certainly average IMO and probably a little above average. I do think he's replaceable, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back