PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR solution: Antonio Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakesta101

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Everyone is discussing Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, trades for Boldin, or Marshall. These scenarios would require a large contract AND sizable compensation. Let's go the most realistic route for a second, one where we simply offer a contract to a player who is more than likely going to be an unrestricted FA.

The guy is a VERY good WR, franchised after his 2008 campaign, only to be held back to due to the teams troubles at QB in 2009. It looks like Tampa won't be willing to franchise him again, meaning any team can offer this guy a contract.

Why not get Tom Brady then best trio of WR's he has has ever had in Randy, Antonio, and Wes (when healthy); all the while keeping our assets in the draft. Build the defense young, but not impede the offense with rookie talent that will only waste Tom's now closing career.

Last edited:
OK. Do it.

Everyone is discussing Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, trades for Boldin, or Marshall. These scenarios would require a large contract AND sizable compensation. Let's go the most realistic route for a second, one where we simply offer a contract to a player who is more than likely going to be an unrestricted FA.

The guy is a VERY good WR, franchised after his 2008 campaign, only to be held back to due to the teams troubles at QB in 2009. It looks like Tampa won't be willing to franchise him again, meaning any team can offer this guy a contract.

Why not get Tom Brady then best trio of WR's he has has ever had in Randy, Antonio, and Wes (when healthy); all the while keeping our assets in the draft. Build the defense young, but not impede the offense with rookie talent that will only waste Tom's now closing career.

There are some good WR's out there (without getting into the UFA, RFA, uncapped vs capped since no one knows yet, but as of now these are all UFA's)

Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (29 yrs old)
Bryant may have cashed in a big check last year but he hasn’t been able to give a repeat performance – not that it’s all Bryant’s fault with a lack of consistency from the quarterback and an arrhythmic offense in general. The Buccaneers have enough money to re-sign him and should be able to get a fair market price for him this season if he is open to a return to a team that is at the bottom of the league. With Josh Freeman in the lineup, Bryant’s numbers have improved and he could make a case for strong number two receiver contract. His avg yd/catch is the same as Moss'.

Vincent Jackson, SD (27 yrs old)
This is a pipedream. He will be SD's #1 priority to resign. $$$ as well.

Malcom Floyd, San Chargers (28)
Over the recent weeks, Malcom Floyd has been given more responsibilities, starting 6 of the last 7 games, in the Chargers offense and this lengthy, 6’5”, 225-pound receiver has delivered for the Chargers. Similar to Vincent Jackson, Floyd does a great job getting vertical down the sidelines to make grabs in single coverage. He uses his height and balance to come down with the ball more often than not. Floyd will be a full-time starting number two receiver next year either in San Diego or elsewhere. His avg/catch is better than Randy's (17 vs 15) and SD may not be able to resign both Floyd and Jackson.
Terrell Owens, Buffalo Bills (36)
Owens is as good as gone after this year. He’s kept quiet despite having a type of year (individually and collectively) that he’s been accustomed to. If TO can stay under the radar the rest of the year, he could open up more landing spots for this offseason, with a more competitive team. With Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback, Owen’s numbers have gone up and he’s shown that he can still be productive. Owens keeps himself in great shape and should still be able to produce given a healthy quarterback option, but it’s all the baggage that comes with this star WR that make teams shy away. So far, he’s done all of the right things this year off the field. He hasn’t ruled out a return to Buffalo and would also be open to returning to San Francisco where his career began. Age may make him a one yr option.

Brandon Marshall, Broncos (26)
He will be looking for too much money and his attitude is an issue but he is certainly talented.

Kevin Walter, Houston Texans (29)
Walter hasn’t been nearly as effective as last year, coming off an injury early in the year. For the Texans offense that hasn’t been short of scoring this year, it could be a good thing for the team. Keeping Walter under the radar could help them hang on to him at season’s end for a less competitive price. His size and style of play suggests that he should be a solid complementary receiver for a long time in the league. His avg/catch is similar to WW's so he may not help Moss much in stretching the field.

I think Bryant or Floyd would be an excellent sign by the Pats

Last edited:
I'd be thrilled to get Antonio Bryant. He was anry at being tagged last year. What do you think the odds are that he becomes a UFA, and what do you think it would take to sign him?

I'd much rather sign a UFA WR if possible than use one of our draft picks on the position (whether on a rookie or via trade). I want to use those picks in other areas.

After this yr Im a little suspect of these TB wr

wut type of contract was gaffney signed to?

I like Bryant as long as his health issues this year aren't an indication he's aging quickly. We need to upgrade the #2 WR spot, especially with Welker out, but we also have to look to a guy with upside in the very possible event Moss is gone in 2011. My perfect candidate is good now but young enough that he's got some good years left for when Moss is gone. Bryant fits this, again, depending on his body.

I would also be looking strongly at the draft. Looking to 2011 we have Welker, Edelman and Brandon Tate. That's it for now of any quality.

Bryant was always considered a WR with plenty of talent, I remember when he came up with Dallas.
He had some maturity issues early on including problems with Parcells, then injuries started, including a torn meniscus.
He was questionable what looked like 1/2 this year(bad knee/s), although he played 13 games....contract year, I gotta play!!

In 8 years he has played 16 in 4 of them.

I'm in favor of it as long as trade terms and contract works. No question that he'd be a big upgrade.

My concern is that he didn't get along with Parcells and Crennel - two poeple with very similar mindsets as BB. If he has matured and can fully commit to the system and play hard and fight, great.

Last edited:
He is certainly a good player. I think he might be looking for a top level wideout deal aka the same deal Boldin is looking for. If this is the case I'd rather give up a 2nd for Boldin. If we can sign him to a contract that is semi reasonable I am all for this. Playing with an elite qb his numbers would sky rocket.

He is certainly a good player. I think he might be looking for a top level wideout deal aka the same deal Boldin is looking for. If this is the case I'd rather give up a 2nd for Boldin. If we can sign him to a contract that is semi reasonable I am all for this. Playing with an elite qb his numbers would sky rocket.

Boldin is very good. The best #2 WR in the NFL. But I wouldn't pay him like a #1. Bryant, on the other hand, is exactly what we are looking for. He won't command as much as Boldin will. On top of that, he is the very definition of what we are looking for. He's a guy that can constantly beat single coverage and, at times, demand double coverage to take the pressure off of Welker, Edelman, and even Moss. He would be absolutely deadly in this offense with Brady throwing him the ball. If he can be had, I would do it in a New York minute. Good call on Bryant. I had forgotten all about him.

There are some good WR's out there (without getting into the UFA, RFA, uncapped vs capped since no one knows yet, but as of now these are all UFA's)

Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (29 yrs old)
Bryant may have cashed in a big check last year but he hasn’t been able to give a repeat performance – not that it’s all Bryant’s fault with a lack of consistency from the quarterback and an arrhythmic offense in general. The Buccaneers have enough money to re-sign him and should be able to get a fair market price for him this season if he is open to a return to a team that is at the bottom of the league. With Josh Freeman in the lineup, Bryant’s numbers have improved and he could make a case for strong number two receiver contract. His avg yd/catch is the same as Moss'.

Vincent Jackson, SD (27 yrs old)
This is a pipedream. He will be SD's #1 priority to resign. $$$ as well.

Malcom Floyd, San Chargers (28)
Over the recent weeks, Malcom Floyd has been given more responsibilities, starting 6 of the last 7 games, in the Chargers offense and this lengthy, 6’5”, 225-pound receiver has delivered for the Chargers. Similar to Vincent Jackson, Floyd does a great job getting vertical down the sidelines to make grabs in single coverage. He uses his height and balance to come down with the ball more often than not. Floyd will be a full-time starting number two receiver next year either in San Diego or elsewhere. His avg/catch is better than Randy's (17 vs 15) and SD may not be able to resign both Floyd and Jackson.
Terrell Owens, Buffalo Bills (36)
Owens is as good as gone after this year. He’s kept quiet despite having a type of year (individually and collectively) that he’s been accustomed to. If TO can stay under the radar the rest of the year, he could open up more landing spots for this offseason, with a more competitive team. With Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback, Owen’s numbers have gone up and he’s shown that he can still be productive. Owens keeps himself in great shape and should still be able to produce given a healthy quarterback option, but it’s all the baggage that comes with this star WR that make teams shy away. So far, he’s done all of the right things this year off the field. He hasn’t ruled out a return to Buffalo and would also be open to returning to San Francisco where his career began. Age may make him a one yr option.

Brandon Marshall, Broncos (26)
He will be looking for too much money and his attitude is an issue but he is certainly talented.

Kevin Walter, Houston Texans (29)
Walter hasn’t been nearly as effective as last year, coming off an injury early in the year. For the Texans offense that hasn’t been short of scoring this year, it could be a good thing for the team. Keeping Walter under the radar could help them hang on to him at season’s end for a less competitive price. His size and style of play suggests that he should be a solid complementary receiver for a long time in the league. His avg/catch is similar to WW's so he may not help Moss much in stretching the field.

I think Bryant or Floyd would be an excellent sign by the Pats

Um, no. As of right now Jackson and Marshall are RFAs. If a new CBA gets signed in the next month, which has about a 5% chance of happening (any may keep the 2010 free agent rules), then they become UFAs. But saying that are "UFAs for now" is like saying guilty until proven innocent. I can guarantee you that NO team is operating under the asinine assumption that a new CBA will be reached before FA.

People do know, just completely dismissing what's going to happen in the next two months is short-sighted and just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Boldin is very good. The best #2 WR in the NFL. But I wouldn't pay him like a #1. Bryant, on the other hand, is exactly what we are looking for. He won't command as much as Boldin will. On top of that, he is the very definition of what we are looking for. He's a guy that can constantly beat single coverage and, at times, demand double coverage to take the pressure off of Welker, Edelman, and even Moss. He would be absolutely deadly in this offense with Brady throwing him the ball. If he can be had, I would do it in a New York minute. Good call on Bryant. I had forgotten all about him.

2 issues with Boldin:

1. He wants to be payed like a #1 WR.
2. He will require significant compensation to obtain him, detracting from other needs.

Bryant should be capable of doing all that you say, which would be a perfect complement to Moss. Plus, if we don't resign Moss after 2010 and bring in a top rookie (AJ Green, Michael Floyd, Jonathan Baldwin or Julio Jones), Bryant, Welker and Tate should be more than adequate while a rookie WR develops.

Again, how much would you spend? $10M/year seems the going rate for a top caliber#1 WR. Randy Moss got 3 years at $27M. Larry Fitzgerald got 4 years at $40M. Andre Johnson got 6 years at $60M. Roy Williams got 5 years at $45M (a ridiculous contract). Not sure what the rate for a top #2 is. Is 4 years @ $28-30M with $14-15M guaranteed too much?

2 issues with Boldin:

1. He wants to be payed like a #1 WR.
2. He will require significant compensation to obtain him, detracting from other needs.

Bryant should be capable of doing all that you say, which would be a perfect complement to Moss. Plus, if we don't resign Moss after 2010 and bring in a top rookie (AJ Green, Michael Floyd, Jonathan Baldwin or Julio Jones), Bryant, Welker and Tate should be more than adequate while a rookie WR develops.

Again, how much would you spend? $10M/year seems the going rate for a top caliber#1 WR. Randy Moss got 3 years at $27M. Larry Fitzgerald got 4 years at $40M. Andre Johnson got 6 years at $60M. Roy Williams got 5 years at $45M (a ridiculous contract). Not sure what the rate for a top #2 is. Is 4 years @ $28-30M with $14-15M guaranteed too much?

Considering the amount of money we have at our disposal, I would say 4 years at $30M would be pretty good. Boldin wouldn't want that. He'll want a Larry Fitzgerald type of contract. No thanks. Bryant could probably be had for a little cheaper than that, to be honest.

Joey Galloway all over again

Galloway could have been successful in this offense if some concessions were made on both ends. Bryant is younger. We wouldn't be teaching an old dog new tricks in this case. It just all depends on how much he's going to demand on the open market.

Considering the amount of money we have at our disposal, I would say 4 years at $30M would be pretty good. Boldin wouldn't want that. He'll want a Larry Fitzgerald type of contract. No thanks. Bryant could probably be had for a little cheaper than that, to be honest.

I like 'em both, but since Bryant is comming off a down year, he may be had for cheaper dollars.

I was thinking the same thing. If our offense is so different from Tampa's that Galloway had a ton of trouble learning it, Bryant might have trouble picking it up as well.

I think these guys would be relatively solid and would not break the bank.

Kevin Walter - very solid and under-rated, now is the time to pick him up before he becomes a bigger name in the league.

Dominik Hixon - good receiver and a very lethal kick returner

Kassim Osgood - underused as a receiver and is also good on special teams

T.O. - He's proved he can behave himself on a really bad team, we could probably get a year or two out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes