PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR situation in 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougGabriel2007

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Any predictions on the WR situation after this year? Everyone besides Welker is a FA, it will certainly be the main storyline of next offseason as far as the Pats goconsidering they don't have too many other notable FAs besides the WRs. Bruschi, Seau will probably either play another year on the cheap or retire. Then there is guys like Wilson, Gay but they won't command the attention the WR headlines do.

So what do you think happens with the WRs after this year?
I think we probably keep one of Moss/Stallworth and then Gaffney/Reche to go with Maroney, Watson, Welker as playmakers on offense. One of Gaffney/Reche could be let go and maybe he bring in another WR or give Chad Jackson a shot.

Fire away....

Out of respect for your username, I'm going to say that they re-sign Doug Gabriel.

Last edited:
You can change screen names and keep your post count you know. PM one of the moderators.

As I have previously predicted, I think the Randy Moss situation will go well, and that he will want to extend at a better-than-market deal to remain in this system, with this coaching staff and, most importantly, this winning quarterback. This would mean the likely departure of one (if not both) of Stallworth and, if he's here, Washington. I think whichever of Gaffney and Caldwell is here this season will be here the following season, as well. And we'll see much more of Chad Jackson. Troy will retire. To sum up:

2008 WR: Randy Moss, Gaffney/Caldwell, Wes Welker, Chad Jackson...and someone else.

Last edited:
After what we had at WR last year, Gabriel must of been a real ****** in practice to get cut.

I was surprised how he did not work out for us.

Why? He came from a losing situation and by all accounts had a counterculture-like personality.

Moss really loves this team, Brady, and BB! I dont understand why people already dont see him in New England's plans next year. He already said that he has money, so u know that wont be a problem.

Stallworth will do good and come back next year

After what we had at WR last year, Gabriel must of been a real ****** in practice to get cut.

Are you sure it was something in practice? I thought he turned into persona non-grata in the middle of one game (? second Jets game) when he caught a pass, fumbled and disappeared onto a milk carton never to be seen again...

If both Stallworth and Moss play well enough - and are happy enough - to bring about the outcome of BB signing/exercizing BOTH to be back in a Pats uni for 2008, that would be one top-notch magic show. Hope you're right. Don't see it myself.

Are you sure it was something in practice? I thought he turned into persona non-grata in the middle of one game (? second Jets game) when he caught a pass, fumbled and disappeared onto a milk carton never to be seen again...

If it were merely because he fumbled, then why the @#(%&@# is Watson still on the team?

That may haverbeen the proverbial straw, but it must have been a sign/symptom of something else.

If both Stallworth and Moss play well enough - and are happy enough - to bring about the outcome of BB signing/exercizing BOTH to be back in a Pats uni for 2008, that would be one top-notch magic show. Hope you're right. Don't see it myself.

I agree - I see Stallworth likely gone in 2008 and Moss reupping for 2 or 3 more years after this season. I think it's foolish to disregard the sort of investment they put in Chad Jackson and he will be a fine number 2 receiver for the Patriots for the future if Moss is re-signed.

I know we wont know how are WR will be in 2007 than 08,but here is my prediction

WR Stallworth- Will be our best WR this yr
WR Moss- I think Moss will sign a extention
WR Welker
WR JacKson
WR Washington- Somehow I have a soft spot for him
WR Draft Pick

Gaffney really came on late last year and now has a full year in the offense. He can probably be signed fairly cheap so I tihnk theres a good chance hes back.

Welker, Stallworth and Washington are under contract
Moss, Gaffney and Caldwell are free agents
Jackson is under contract

Presuming that we keep Washington this year, I predict

Welker, Stallworth, Washington, Jackson, Gaffney or Moss

We ahve no need for draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes