PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Robert Meachem to visit Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and I've argued the "we won't draft a WR side" already. But if they think there's a STUD, they'll let the competition decide.

Stallworth, Welker, New Guy would be three. Jackson would be four if healthy. That would leave 1 or 2 spots between Troy, Washington, Caldwell, Gaffney.

Imagine the statement on the state of last year if both starting WR didn't make the team ;)

That was predicted by a few on the main forum a month ago, in a certain 500-post thread. I hope it doesn't repeat itself here.

I like Meachem and I would be fine with him in the first, but I think there will be some pretty good talent at WR in the 2nd, 3rd, and even fourth round. If NE really wants to draft a WR they should trade the 28th overall pick for GB's 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, then take Jason Hill with either the second or third round pick (Likely the second).

Here are the WR's I like for NE:
Robert Meachem
Jason Hill
Steve Smith
Anthony Gonzalez
Craig Davis
Aundrae Allison
Courtney Taylor
Chris Davis
Rhema McNight
Steve Breaston
David Ball

I notice a lot of people aren't talking about Dallas Baker from Florida, I would be thrilled if we steal him in the 4th or 5th round, just have a feeling about this guy (kinda like I did with Anquan Boldin, not comparing, just think Baker's going to be a good pro), he's had two rally productive seasons in a row. I really like Meachem, and think the future of the Pats with Jackson and Meachem as the top two recivers would be sick (I mean that in a good way).

and there are sugestions that Jarrett may be hanging around when the Pats pick

Hmmmm 6'5 213lbs ....maybe worth a look

Last edited:
and there are sugestions that Jarrett may be hanging around when the Pats pick

Hmmmm 6'5 213lbs ....maybe worth a look

Mike....Williams......

I have to respond to BelichickFan's rediculous comment. First and foremost, Stallworth is not the only proven player on our team. As a matter of speaking he is hardly more proven or distinguishable than any other receiver on our squad with the exception of a single 900 yard season. A season in which Joe Horn was hurt, Duece was hurt, and there was literally no one else on a beat up New Orleans Squad that went 6-10. We all know what he did in Philly.
The proof is in the pudding. What I mean is, I believe the Pats receiving corps has always been a system success. Shuan Jefferson, David Patton, David Givens, and most recently Dieon Branch all left the system and have struggled. It is the same with guys NE will incorporate. Big names don't mean big production. I can almost guarentee you that Caldwell and Gaffney will not be overlooked, as well as Welker having big participation in the passing game. Combine that with Watson, Thomas and Troy, Forget it. If the Pats look for anything other than best position, especially in the secondary or LB, they are crazy.

I notice a lot of people aren't talking about Dallas Baker from Florida, I would be thrilled if we steal him in the 4th or 5th round, just have a feeling about this guy (kinda like I did with Anquan Boldin, not comparing, just think Baker's going to be a good pro), he's had two rally productive seasons in a row. I really like Meachem, and think the future of the Pats with Jackson and Meachem as the top two recivers would be sick (I mean that in a good way).

Baker is a polished receiver, which I like. However, I felt Baker severely underachieved right up until the SEC championship and National Championship games. He's off my list right now, but he's a borderline guy I'd be OK with. However, if we pick him up in the 4th or 5th, it won't be a steal. He's projected as a late second day pick.

Given the depth of our WR corps right now, I'd rather we draft a potentially great one, like Meacham, or not draft one at all, raw PS candidates excepted.

I have to respond to BelichickFan's rediculous comment. First and foremost, Stallworth is not the only proven player on our team.
I said "semi proven AND very talented".

I don't consider Gaffney nor Caldwell to be VERY talented. They're league average in talent.

Jackson ? Washington ? Not semi proven.

Welker ? Should really help us but not VERY talented.

Put it this way . . . which of our WR have ANY CHANCE of EVER making a pro bowl as a WR ? Stallworth, Washington, Jackson. Cross the last two off because they're nothing but raw talent right now. And there you have it.

Given the depth of our WR corps right now, I'd rather we draft a potentially great one, like Meacham, or not draft one at all, raw PS candidates excepted.
Those are really the only two options. There's no point in drafting some third rounder who would be a very small upgrade over a Washington or the like.

If there's a guy we LOVE, pick him in the first round and make a tough roster choice in August. If there's some sleeper we can stash on the PS, fine. Short of that we have lots of talented WR, we can let the season sort them out.

patchick, let's move this thread to the Official Prospect Visits/Workouts thread. I'm assuming you prefer to not have separate threads on these visits -- is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back