PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Keenan Allen

I was high on Allen and had him in my Mocks.

I like Dobson tho and believe the drops issue can be solved with time. He seems to have all the Physical tools just needs to get his head right. He is consistently getting separation.

If we want to talk about WRs we wanted to draft I still wish we could have gotten Alshon Jeffery in 2012. He is killing it for the Bears this season and they are still underutilizing him. I am very happy with KT though and still have high hopes for Dobson. Coming out of college he was known for his amazing hands and not dropping a ball his senior year, hopefully these drops are just nerves and once he settles in he will be fine. The good thing is he is getting open, once the game starts becoming more natural and instinctive to him he should be a good one.

hahah yep i think a few on this board will claim this one too. There were a few of us very high on jeffery. He has proven us right (amongst our many misses).

hahah yep i think a few on this board will claim this one too. There were a few of us very high on jeffery. He has proven us right (amongst our many misses).

I loved Alshon in that draft. Still disappointed the Pats didn't get him.

There were a few people high on him. I believe it was Manx that was leading the charge, IIRC.

Manx wasn't as high on Allen. He loved Hopkins, Woods and a few others.

I loved Allen but it's the Clay Mathews argument all over again. Just because he was great in the GB system doesn't mean he would be in the Pats. Same with Allen or Hopkins. Allen certainly was a first round talent but he dropped for the off the field junk.

I find this all very interesting guys. But I'd like to interject this thought into this 20-20 hindsight ***********. How many more wins would the Pats have right now if we'd had the benefit of all this foreknowledge?????

I'm really surprised at the grief Thompkins and Dobson are getting. Considering the concerns we all had about the Pats drafting WR's, both are close to being on target for most productive rookies in BB's tenure here. Sure they make mistakes, but they're rookies! Fact is, they're on the field and being productive which, for Patriot rookie receivers, was no guarantee.

I'm really surprised at the grief Thompkins and Dobson are getting. Considering the concerns we all had about the Pats drafting WR's, both are close to being on target for most productive rookies in BB's tenure here. Sure they make mistakes, but they're rookies! Fact is, they're on the field and being productive which, for Patriot rookie receivers, was no guarantee.

And Dobson is looking better and better each week. I really like Dobson. He is gonna be a stud wr, and hopefully by week 12.

Other than the original post I didn't get the sense anybody was killing AD + KT. If they both could just cut the drops in half the rest of the way I think you would really see the offense explode because Brady would have that trust and not over think it.

1. Rookie has a good game.
2. Post by one of 3 or 4 posters about how much they wanted that rookie.
3. BB SUCKS! Gnashing of teeth.
4. Repeat.

More than happy with Dobson.

He's the one guy I really wanted and was consistently disappointed each round that we didn't pick him when he kept dropping. Felt he was a 1st round talent. Imagine Keenan and Dobson....our WR corps would be set for the next ten years. The only thing I can think of is that his off the field stuff involves gangs and we don't want a repeat of Hernandez.

I liked Allen but saw him as a Boldin type possession receiver and not the downfield threat Dobson is going to be. I think he's going to have a good career but he's the kind of WR that Brady is reluctant to throw to, as he's not going to get open as cleanly but will usually win the battle for the ball. Brady wants his WR's open or in a position to throw them open, and Dobson is more likely to be that guy and a much better deep ball threat, which is more of what they really needed.

I would have been fine with them taking him in the third but Logan Ryan has really turned out to be a good pick and a good CB is much tougher to find than a possession receiver. I realize that Belichick sucks but I actually love last year's draft and will give him a pass on not sucking as bad as he usually does, hopefully next year he will do much worse so I can rip him and demonstrate how much more i know about football and drafting than he does.

I liked Allen but saw him as a Boldin type possession receiver and not the downfield threat Dobson is going to be. I think he's going to have a good career but he's the kind of WR that Brady is reluctant to throw to, as he's not going to get open as cleanly but will usually win the battle for the ball. Brady wants his WR's open or in a position to throw them open, and Dobson is more likely to be that guy and a much better deep ball threat, which is more of what they really needed.

I would have been fine with them taking him in the third but Logan Ryan has really turned out to be a good pick and a good CB is much tougher to find than a possession receiver. I realize that Belichick sucks but I actually love last year's draft and will give him a pass on not sucking as bad as he usually does, hopefully next year he will do much worse so I can rip him and demonstrate how much more i know about football and drafting than he does.

This is more about if BB could of got both. Allen was the most pro-ready WR, while Dobson was a high-ceiling/height/speed raw WR. They would of made a great duo.

Allen's on pace to be one of the few rookie WRs ever to break 1,000 yards. The comparison many made of him to Reggie Wayne back in April looks more accurate than Boldin IMO.

LOL at those who would have drafted Dropson ahead of ROY candidate Keenan Allen.

Keep drinkin'.

I expected big seasons out of Allen and Quinton Patton. They are very similar.

I still wonder why we drafted Boyce. Boyce may very well turn into a great receiver, but I feel that we already tried a guy similar to him in Jeremy Ross.

hind sight is 20/20

I expected big seasons out of Allen and Quinton Patton. They are very similar.

I still wonder why we drafted Boyce. Boyce may very well turn into a great receiver, but I feel that we already tried a guy similar to him in Jeremy Ross.

I'm glad that Boyce is - finally - being used as our KR, and I want to see him being used
more often on offense. Start him with some WR screens, reverses and perhaps even in
the backfield every once in a while, just to get his hands on the ball quickly and let him
run with it in space.

LOL at those who would have drafted Dropson ahead of ROY candidate Keenan Allen.

Keep drinkin'.
One is playing as the #1 Wide Receiver on one team the other playing as a #3 and generally 4th receiving option if you include the All Pro Tight End in the equation. Good to see you're looking at the situations comparatively.

Keep drinkin'.

Yeah you keep drinking! Because the systems are different, QB's are different, and the players around them are different. Hey, dropson hasn't had the case of dropsies like the jets game. He has come along very well. Need that foot healthy for the playoffs.

Yeah you keep drinking! Because the systems are different, QB's are different, and the players around them are different. Hey, dropson hasn't had the case of dropsies like the jets game. He has come along very well. Need that foot healthy for the playoffs.

Ok, please tell me why the Patriots offence, TFB, and the other offensive players make Dobson a fit but not Allen.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back