PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR in the 2015 draft

If cutting Amendola fees up 2.1M in cap space, then why wouldn't they do it? The 3.6M is already accounted for in the amount of cap space it clears up.

? The $3.6M is on the books regardless of whether Amendola is on the team next year or not. It clears up no cap space.

Cut Amendola and you have to replace him, as a kick returner, as depth behind Edelman in the slot, and as a 3rd WR. $2.1M in cap space doesn't buy a lot in today's WR market, and there aren't a lot of good targets out there. It certainly won't make a dent in anyone's Larry Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson fantasy scenarios.

The best case scenario that I can think of involves Amendola taking a cut to lower his cap hit and using that money, but I'm not sure there will be a ton of room to afford a WR.

One of the best ideas was to offer a 3rd and 4th to the Titans for Kendall Wright.

One of the best ideas was to offer a 3rd and 4th to the Titans for Kendall Wright.

I hadn't heard that one. Interesting idea. Wright has only one more year left on his rookie deal, plus a 5th year option for 2016 which will probably be around $8-9M, and which would have to be exercised by May of this year. That seems like a lot to give up. But it's a novel thought. Maybe Amendola and a 4th, though I can't imagine when Tennessee would go for that.

I hadn't heard that one. Interesting idea. Wright has only one more year left on his rookie deal, plus a 5th year option for 2016 which will probably be around $8-9M, and which would have to be exercised by May of this year. That seems like a lot to give up. But it's a novel thought. Maybe Amendola and a 4th, though I can't imagine when Tennessee would go for that.

Keep Amendola for 2015 along with Wright and then let Amendola go in '16 and use the money saved for Wright providing he succeeds. It was just and idea I'd seen and liked. The bigger point is that we probably have too many draft picks if we re-sign all our players and we've had success trading for players of late so why not look in that direction for a WR. There have to be some bargains out there.

Keep Amendola for 2015 along with Wright and then let Amendola go in '16 and use the money saved for Wright providing he succeeds. It was just and idea I'd seen and liked. The bigger point is that we probably have too many draft picks if we re-sign all our players and we've had success trading for players of late so why not look in that direction for a WR. There have to be some bargains out there.

It's an interesting idea. The main objection I have is the cost of a 3rd and a 4th, but it's still interesting.

Finally Pats WR got some size and ppl wanna trade for another smuff. Hunter would be much better in terms of need.

Finally Pats WR got some size and ppl wanna trade for another smuff. Hunter would be much better in terms of need.

Hunter is terrible. Like Stephen Hill terrible.

Didnt ppl say that about LaFell aswell? Pretty sure a QB makes a WR more then anything.

Didnt ppl say that about LaFell aswell? Pretty sure a QB makes a WR more then anything.

But Hunter had a bad reputation in practice too. I have zero interest in him I'm afraid. In fact I'd rather they tried for Stephen Hill because he's a lot cheaper.

I'm fine with either of these IF they are a cap casualty (I wouldn't trade for either at the back end of their careers) and IF they can be fit under the cap. That seems like a stretch to me, but stranger things have happened, such as signing Darrelle Revis after TB cut him.

I like the idea of drafting DeAndre Smelter with an eye to 2016. Give him a year to get healthy and learn the system. For a nice profile on Smelter, see:

http://www.bigboarddraft.com/#!deandre-smelter/cu41

I think if you had this kid learn from Andre Johnson for a year, he'd be special.

There was a report this week that if Andre Johnson does not restructure his camp believes he will be cut. Via Jason Cole:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...m_campaign=web-mob-art-vid-152?is_shared=true

Larry Fitzgerald is just an assumption made on common sense. The cardinals would save a boatload of cash by cutting ties and his performance this year has not matched that number. They have a WR that has outperformed him, is younger and cheaper. So it's a reasonable conclusion.

I agree with you 100% a trade doesn't seem ideal. Thanks for the info will check it out. I enjoy and Learn a lot from you and @manxman2601. Looking forward to both your insights this upcoming offseason...

But Hunter had a bad reputation in practice too. I have zero interest in him I'm afraid. In fact I'd rather they tried for Stephen Hill because he's a lot cheaper.
So did Ayers we can go on. Basicly its Titans lockroom-/practice cultur more then the players. I have read some on Titans forum and those reports are scary......

So here's something, which I know is pure coincidence and means nothing but it moderately amuses me:

In 2011, BB worked out DE Allen Bailey pre draft. In 2012, BB drafted DE Chandler Jones.

In 2012 BB worked out LB Lavonte David. In 2013 BB draftedLB Jamie Collins.

In 2013, BB worked out Florida DT Earl Okine, in 2014 BB drafted Florida DT Dominique Easley.

In 2014 BB worked out 6'5 WR Kelvin Benjamin. In 2015, BB drafts 6'5" WR Devin Funchess?

So did Ayers we can go on. Basicly its Titans lockroom-/practice cultur more then the players. I have read some on Titans forum and those reports are scary......

Hunter's reputation goes back to when he was in college though. If you like him, that's fine but I never have.

Speaking of Hunter, it's a shame @Wilfork#75 isn't with us this year.

? The $3.6M is on the books regardless of whether Amendola is on the team next year or not. It clears up no cap space.

Cut Amendola and you have to replace him, as a kick returner, as depth behind Edelman in the slot, and as a 3rd WR. $2.1M in cap space doesn't buy a lot in today's WR market, and there aren't a lot of good targets out there. It certainly won't make a dent in anyone's Larry Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson fantasy scenarios.

The best case scenario that I can think of involves Amendola taking a cut to lower his cap hit and using that money, but I'm not sure there will be a ton of room to afford a WR.
Right, exactly my point. If you want to cut Amendola or not, the 3.6M is irrelevent.

The 2.1M is relevant. And the remaining cap hit is relevant as that's what it'd cost you cap wise to cut him the following year.

IE if you cut him next year it costs 3.6M as opposed to 3.6M + 2.1M, BUT cutting him next year means you avoid the cap hit in 2016 of his remaining dead money.

If Amendola is pretty much useless, then you might as well cut him.

Part of the problem with drafting a WR is that they are often the 3rd-4th read and Brady never gets to them because one of the first 2 reads were open. I have seen Tim Wright, Tyms, Amendola and Dobson open but Brady does not look there way. I understand why people say Dobson is a bust but I think alot of it is on Brady. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Brady just that he has more confidence in the vets. It took Lafell quite awhile before he was getting a volume of targets.

Part of the problem with drafting a WR is that they are often the 3rd-4th read and Brady never gets to them because one of the first 2 reads were open. I have seen Tim Wright, Tyms, Amendola and Dobson open but Brady does not look there way. I understand why people say Dobson is a bust but I think alot of it is on Brady. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Brady just that he has more confidence in the vets. It took Lafell quite awhile before he was getting a volume of targets.

Brady clearly needs to establish rapport with his receives and have confidence. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Walker and Edelman worked out with Brady in California and spent a lot of time building their timing with him. LaFell took a bit to earn Brady's trust, but he clearly seems to have it.

I'm still expecting Tim Wright to get there, with a full off-season to put in the work. He has the necessary work ethic and study habits, and good hands.

For all the talk about the Pats not being able to identify WRs, I think they hit the mark pretty well with the last 2 FAs they targeted - LaFell in 2014 and Sanders in 2013. So maybe they're not as clueless as some think.

Brady clearly needs to establish rapport with his receives and have confidence. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Walker and Edelman worked out with Brady in California and spent a lot of time building their timing with him. LaFell took a bit to earn Brady's trust, but he clearly seems to have it.

I'm still expecting Tim Wright to get there, with a full off-season to put in the work. He has the necessary work ethic and study habits, and good hands.

For all the talk about the Pats not being able to identify WRs, I think they hit the mark pretty well with the last 2 FAs they targeted - LaFell in 2014 and Sanders in 2013. So maybe they're not as clueless as some think.

I'd also like to add that this is one of the few areas where I really feel that McDaniels could do a better job.

The route design should be a bit more mixed so Bradys progressions are not always in the same predictable order. Force him now and then to look at other players to help him get over himself and his tendencies.

But then again I remember how the offensive line sometimes collapses and realize that there is often not enough time to go through all progressions.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back