PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR in the 2015 draft

I do believe that the Patriots are looking for a big downfield threat, and this should be a good draft to pick one up. But I don't have a good bead on who and when. Rankings are fluctuating wildly.

Lance Zierlin's latest has this 1st-round crop:
#4 Kevin White
#7 Amari Cooper
#14 Breshad Perriman (!)
#18 Devante Parker
#19 Jaelen Strong

That leaves the highest-rated WR available at #32 as...Dorial Green-Beckham.

Mayock says that Perriman is a top 20 pick according to what he's hearing. Fair play to Mel Kiper, he was high on Perriman from very early.

Dorial Green-Beckham really interests me as a value pick. If he came out next year as a Jnr and didn't have the baggage, he's probably a top 5 pick in the draft. But I think the baggage means he won't be a Patriot.

I think it comes down to Smith, Conley or Coates if that's the way BB is looking but I couldn't say who. If it was me, it would be Smith followed by Coates but I really couldn't say.

and he's urban meyer coached
We haven't drafted an OSU player since Meyer went there - and since all his Florida players busted for us - I'll be curious if we draft any or not. As of this moment I don't think "Urban Meyer" makes a player more likely to be drafted by us.

Wondering about the "deep threat", perhaps BB wants to run 2 TE 2 WR sets with a true deep threat so that Gronk, Chandler and Edelman have real space to work with? Imagine a burner deep with Edelman shallow and those twin towers in center field. Plus an RB in the flat. That would be quite an offense.

I do believe that the Patriots are looking for a big downfield threat, and this should be a good draft to pick one up. But I don't have a good bead on who and when. Rankings are fluctuating wildly.

Lance Zierlin's latest has this 1st-round crop:
#4 Kevin White
#7 Amari Cooper
#14 Breshad Perriman (!)
#18 Devante Parker
#19 Jaelen Strong

That leaves the highest-rated WR available at #32 as...Dorial Green-Beckham.

Zierlin only has 3 corners picked in the first (Waynes, Collins,Johnson). I'll believe that when I see it. I suspect that almost all of us would be hoping for a corner, or a trade down and then a corner.

Belichick may indeed be looking for a WR. This is a great draft for one.

If the draft is about 2016, perhaps he is looking for an upgrade over Amendola and Dobson.

I think you sit patiently take Dorial Green Beckham at 32.
Hire him a life coach and a personal assistant who really Is a baby sitter.
Then you trade up and grab Sammie Coates around 45.
You then focus the rest of the draft on defense.
That gives Tom some fun toys to play with and gives Jimmy G seasoned weapons for the future

The main reason to me WR qualifies as a need is not depth. I think Dobson/Gibson offer enough competition and generally they only dress 4 WRs anyway.

I think the main issue is Amendola will probably be gone next year and IDK if you can trust Dobson to fill that #3 spot. I think if they draft a WR it is mostly a pick for 2016.

If we take a receiver @32 I like

1. Nelson Agholor
2. DGB
3. Perriman

In that order. Aholor is a polished route runner, has good speed, and is under the radar but slowly getting noticed since his pro day. He can also return kicks so he has a better chance of getting on the field then the other 2 guys.

I ain't gonna spin it. If DGB is the pick I will be totally ok with it. To me he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. Teaming him up with Edelman,Gronk and Chandler in the end zone would be lethal.

I ain't gonna spin it. If DGB is the pick I will be totally ok with it. To me he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. Teaming him up with Edelman,Gronk and Chandler in the end zone would be lethal.

Yup. Take away the off-field stuff and the lack of experience and DGB would be close to a lock as a top 5 player overall. I'd never mock him for the reasons I just mentioned but in terms of upside, there's little difference between him and Gurley. DGB has the potential to be talked about in the same company as the best WRs in the game.

If I felt more comfortable with our situation at CB & LG, then I would be more on-board with rolling
the dice on DGB. But the depth at WR is 4 rounds deep; no way I use #32 on one.

If I felt more comfortable with our situation at CB & LG, then I would be more on-board with rolling
the dice on DGB. But the depth at WR is 4 rounds deep; no way I use #32 on one.

I largely agree but I wouldn't say "no way".. At some stage 'value' trumps 'need' providing the value is high enough. It's way I'd be fine with drafting Todd Gurley ahead of s number of other potential diet rounders and why I'm at least open to drafting DGB;,they both can be the best in the NFL at their respective positions. In other words, you wouldn't turn down a JJ Watt or Gronk because you have needs at other positions (That's an exaggeration admittedly but helps make my point).

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back