PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Greg Salas Waived, OL Markus Zusevics Signed off Reserve/NFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the pats Salas had potential withe iggles he just has po...

Seriously. If they really wanted him they wouldn't have waived him .

If the Pats cared that much about losing Salas they wouldn't have waived him - they deemed it more important to get a third string offensive tackle onto the roster. So the Eagles claiming him doesn't really bother me.

Correction - They deemed it necessary to add another OL to the roster in the event that Cannon or Solder got injured during the game..

Salas was deemed most expendable at the time based on the circumstances. This idea that they didn't care about losing him is just stupid. They had put time and money into developing him including paying him more to not sign with another team previously.

If you don't think that Belichick / McDaniels muttered a "damn" when they heard that Salas was picked up, so be it. But don't sit there and try and pass it off as they couldn't give a damn because they did. Guaranteed.

What I find interesting is that the Eagles felt that Salas would be a bigger improvement for them over the 2 WRs they have on their PS in Marvin McNutt and BJ Cunningham.

What I find interesting is that the Eagles felt that Salas would be a bigger improvement for them over the 2 WRs they have on their PS in Marvin McNutt and BJ Cunningham.

Any player on the Pats would be an improvement for that sorry team.

Probably figured they were better coached.

McNutt was a QB at Iowa? 6'3" 215

Cunningham also has size at 6'2" ...

McNutt looks to have more versatility with a QB backround also ala Edelman.. If we need a WR, grab him as an FU to Eagles.

BTW, I thought Andy Reid and BB were friends?

Correction - They deemed it necessary to add another OL to the roster in the event that Cannon or Solder got injured during the game..

Salas was deemed most expendable at the time based on the circumstances. This idea that they didn't care about losing him is just stupid. They had put time and money into developing him including paying him more to not sign with another team previously.

If you don't think that Belichick / McDaniels muttered a "damn" when they heard that Salas was picked up, so be it. But don't sit there and try and pass it off as they couldn't give a damn because they did. Guaranteed.

He was inactive - it wouldn't have mattered if Solder or Cannon got hurt. They did it because it was the last day to activate him for the year, not because they needed him to play yesterday.

Zusevics had a torn pectoral muscle that he injured while lifting at the combine. He was a late round draft pick before the injury and went undrafted because of it. He played at Iowa under one of Belichicks proteges.

I believe Zusevics was projected around 4th round before his injury. Pats got him as a UDFA I think.

The Jets also put in a claim on him, apparently.

Gaffney has been suspended for two games as well, per RapSheet.

so do the patriots still have to give up a draft pick?

What happens after the season? Can they get him back or is it a multi-year contract and he belongs to the eagles now?

He was inactive - it wouldn't have mattered if Solder or Cannon got hurt. They did it because it was the last day to activate him for the year, not because they needed him to play yesterday.

I know he was inactive. Doesn't change the fact that they needed another OT on the team in case of injury with Vollmer's back acting up. And yes, I understand that they had to activate him or lose him for the season. Doesn't change the fact they need another OT.

Nothing you've said changes the fact that the idea that the Pats didn't care if they lost Salas makes no sense at all.

They want to F with the Pats would be my guess. Of course, I could be wrong.

Yes, the patriots wanted to keep Salas. It always good to have Practice Squad backups. After all, we were willing to pay Salas roster money for being on the Practice Squad.

HOWEVER, Salas apparently is worth less to the team than having an additional special teamer. We have several defensive players who are on the roster to play special teams: Koutouvides, White, Martin, Rivera, and Ebner. Cole, a top special teamer, was not even active against the jets.

This is also impressive given that we don't have a #4 WR. As of now, if Edelman isn't healthy, no one will be the #3 WR, other than the few garbage reps that Slater might get. But then, that's the point. This underscores the value the patriots put on Salas.

I know he was inactive. Doesn't change the fact that they needed another OT on the team in case of injury with Vollmer's back acting up. And yes, I understand that they had to activate him or lose him for the season. Doesn't change the fact they need another OT.

Nothing you've said changes the fact that the idea that the Pats didn't care if they lost Salas makes no sense at all.

They want to F with the Pats would be my guess. Of course, I could be wrong.

Yes, a team outside of our conference who is likely to not make the playoffs felt it better to sacrifice development of players they preferred to Salas just in order to mess with the Patriots.

What with Andy Reid's job being so secure I'm sure the #1 issue on his mind is how can he mess with a team he won't be coaching against this year.

Greg Salas was activated against the Colts -- but did not play. Gronk gets injured. So you would think, keeping Salas as WR #4 would be a compelling proposition. After all this is a guy who is being paid on the PS as if he is on he team. But instead of Rivera or a ST, Salas is released. Not only were the Iggles waiting but the Jets also claimed him.

Now that he has joined the Iggles, they retain his rights next year if they so choose. Unless of course, he cut him...which is unlikely.

Strategically, there are legitimate questions both about the need to promote him (the week of the Colts game)and then to waive him instead of a ST-er who could have easily passed waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back