PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR...free agency or the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that behind our secondary wide receiver is a big need for the patriots. We cant rely on this dink and dunk/middle of the field offense..we need that sideline threat who can occasionally catch the long ball.

It would be nice IMO for us to draft the next great WR...but I just dont see it happening. The patriots havent drafted a solid wide receiver since Deion Branch..and even branch was never the prototypical athletic freak...look at how many WR's we have drafted over the years only for them to fail..its definitely a weak spot in our draft....brady has 3 years left on his contract and we cant waste time IMO trying to see if some young WR can learn our system.

The best WR's we have ever had, seem to have come through trades and free agency. thats where bill has usually been best at evaluating WR talent(gaffney/ocho non-withstanding)

if I'm bill I go hard after Brandon Lloyd in free agency..we already know he knows the system and wants to play with Josh McDaniels...maybe we can get him for a discount if he really wants McDaniels.

im just salivating at the idea of Lloyd bring defenders to the sideline while Gronk/Ahern/Welker go in the middle of the field

I feel like if we can get any receiver that can stretch the field to open up the middle and keep the defense honest would be a beautiful thing for our offense. I know some people don't agree with it but like you I would love for Brady to have a go to sideline receiver. Vote goes to FA by the way.

Last edited:
I'd say FA, drafting has always been busts in the WR department. It might be also due to the Patriots' complex system that they run. Also, we need someone that thinks like Brady, can stretch the field (deep threat), and run the route tree.

Depends how much money Welker and Lloyd both want...

I still expect a WR or two to be drafted anyway, it's possibly the deepest position this year.

I'd say FA, drafting has always been busts in the WR department. It might be also due to the Patriots' complex system that they run. Also, we need someone that thinks like Brady, can stretch the field (deep threat), and run the route tree.

+1

I'd rather they improve the offense through free agency and improve the defense primarily through the draft.

We need playmakers on this defense, people who can take some of the weight off of Brady's shoulders so he isn't so damned pressured to perform perfectly.

-Jamman

I'm also on the Lloyd bandwagon. If he can be had around $4-5 mill/year it'll be well worth the risk. The Vincent Jacksons are going to be way too expensive and furthermore they're less likely to fit here than Lloyd IMO.

Drafting WR's is a lost cause, come this draft it will be 10 years since we drafted a good WR. Sure they can use a lower rd. pick if they want but please nothing higher. Branch I wouldn't mind back on the cheap. Welker/Lloyd/Branch/Edelman/Slater next year, Underwood or a lower round pick if they have a good preseason.

Has to be F/A

I feel like members of this board could scout the WR position better than whoever the Pats pay to do it.

I say both. Colston/Lloyd/Wallace and welker in FA and draft any WR that falls to between pick 31 and our first 2nd round pick

Sign Welker and two free agents (perhaps Branch and Lloyd). We have plenty of cap money to do this.

Sign Welker and two free agents (perhaps Branch and Lloyd). We have plenty of cap money to do this.

There arent really enough balls to go around for 2 starting calliber WRs.
Welker, Gronk and Hernandez caught 291 passes for 3800 yards and 33 TDs.
To add 2 starting caliber WRs we would have to change the offense and direct it away from these 3.
That seems like change for change sake, but more importantly we need the cap money on the other side of the ball, IMO.

I still don't understand why so many people want to spend lots of money on a player that would be the 4th option on offense, more than spending that same money on a defensive end, outside linebacker, corner or safety.

Despite the final score of the final game of the 2011 season the defense is still in more of a need of an upgrade than the offense is.

WR, DEFINITELY FREE AGENCY!!!!

Two Reasons...

1.) Wide receivers take time to be valuable contributors. While we hear a lot about AJ Green and Randy Moss, they are very rare.

2.) SPECIFICALLY the Patriots have not had much luck in drafting wide receivers ever since 2002 when they got Deion Branch and David Givens. (Chad Jackson or Bethel Johnson anyone?) Even Julian Edelman is just so-so.

We obviously can't draft one so I'll take any of the down the field threats in FA!

Resign Welker and Branch (as 4th receiver), then get Lloyd and use a 2nd rounder on a WR Randle or Hill

Sign one

Draft one

We obviously can't draft one so I'll take any of the down the field threats in FA!

We do draft plenty WR's. Its just that either they are damaged goods out of college, or they too stupid to pick-up the Pats complex offense, and ofcourse cannot be coached up.

Just because Lloyd had success with Josh means nothing. He will have to get on the same page as Brady, and if Brady doesn't trust you reading what he reads at the line, you aint gettin the ball, just ask Stinko

They need to get high football IQ receiver(s) be it via draft or FA, does not matter.

Resign Welker and Branch (as 4th receiver), then get Lloyd and use a 2nd rounder on a WR Randle or Hill

Seriously you want Branch, Lloyd AND a high draft pick in addtion to 3 guys that caught 291 passes for 3800 yards and 33 TDs? What are we going to do with them? Play them on defense?

Seriously you want Branch, Lloyd AND a high draft pick in addtion to 3 guys that caught 291 passes for 3800 yards and 33 TDs? What are we going to do with them? Play them on defense?

so, you'd prefer we'd stick with ocho and underwood instead of lloyd and a 2nd rounder, and just worry about drafting a guy when the wheels fall off?

The 3 guys who caught 291 passes was a direct result of how abysmal the rest of the WR are/were - Tate, Price, Stinko, Slater, Underwood, Edelman - take your pick.

If they sign a FA WR as well draft a WR, the trio of Gronk, Hernandez, Welker are not catching same # of balls. The offense, however, will be much more balanced, and difficult for opposing D's to key on 1-2 positions to stop.

You need depth and balance because as we all know NFL is littered with injuries. Maybe you did not notice the all pro Sam Aiken as the starting WR in 2010 playoff game against the Ravens, or that Welker knee was tore up the last game of the season forcing college QB to start at slot position.

Last edited:
I forgot receivers only catch balls. For some reason I thought they also did things like dictate coverages, create matchup problems, block in the run game and change the dynamic of offenses. Silly me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots