PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR FA frenzy per rotoworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why people think the Ravens will go after Wallace. They already have Torrey Smith who can run a 4.3 and has been shown to be an effective deep threat. Why would they pay so much to duplicate that? They could use another receiving option but he Wallace doesn't seem like a fit IMO.

Nice attempt at an overview and prediction column by the fantasy site, but I think Evan and the guys were playing with Monopoly money to some extent...

Lloyd's value is limited due to his track record of only succeeding with Josh. The Rams may be interested in retaining him but their offense is going to be changing under a new HC and OC. He only makes sense for NE and KC (with Daboll), although if KC spends to retain Bowe that will limit their unit budget under Pioli. Given his age and history I don't see Lloyd getting more than 3 years averaging $5-6M and on a liberally incentivized and possibly option/roster bonus type dependent structure so potentially a one year prove it deal that maybe nets him $7-8M in year 1 either way.

Media often talk themselves into a somewhat hysterical financial opinion compared to what actually transpires once the dust settles. This is a deep FA class, not just among WR, and that alone will limit the top tier options ability to cash in. Deals may sound sweet at first glance, but the devil in the details will show them to be a little less so than anticipated.

I though it was odd that they talked about Wayne and Johnson disappearing to some extent but failed to note Wallace's dropoff in the second half of just his third season. And while Baltimore may make a run at him they also have Flacco to deal with this offseason. He wants top 5 QB money, something they haven't had to grapple with in decades, and they will be well served to maintain their identity and run first mentality which will continue to cost a few bucks and also begin transitioning on an aging defense where egos dictate they will continue to have to spend a lot of top tier $$$. They're really in a similar position to the team they'd be taking Wallace from, the only difference being that team has more WR's in the pipeline and their QB signed long term.

two very astute points...the dropoff by Wallace AND the Flacco contract issue...as far as the Wallace hysteria goes, it looks like another of these "fantasy" Romeo and Juliet stories here...they will pound this "sign Wallace!!!!!" campaign to death and beyond.

I'd peg SF, or Chicago (even the Pats) as more likely landing spots than Baltimore for Wallace. Why would they bother coughing up that much dough and a draft pick to get something they might already have? Too big a cost just to weaken a divisional foe.

If Lloyd gets $7.5m/yr from the Pats I'll eat my hat and yours. If he wants more than $5m/yr he won't be Tommy's new plaything. Lloyd been far too inconsistent to warrant $7-8m, his flameout in St. Louis will temp some to think he might be losing it - whatever modest portion of it he had that is.

I bet Moss ends up down south somewhere. Tampa (to re-awaken their diva Mike Williams), JAX (so the owner can hope a little longer all Gabbert needs is a legit WR to get over the hump), NO (to replace Colston??).

Last edited:
Love it!! I hope now everyone sees how difficult it is to rebuild an aging defense on the fly, while staying not only competitive, but ahead of most other teams in the league. I hope they suffer mediocracy for the next several yrs, and Baltimore takes over the division every season.

It was amazing how the entire city of Pittsburgh suddenly became Giants fans (even though they couldn't name 5 players on the NYG team) during the game a couple of wks ago.

Even more amazing was the high percentage that I heard on local radio and (gasp..) facebook declaring how they'd suddenly be "proud to have the Ravens represent the AFC" this year :eek: I didn't see one unbiased opinion on anything relating to the playoffs or the SB, just a bunch of ice-aged morons declaring stupidity.

Talk about complete shock..I figured they'd root for anyone vs. the Pats unless it came down to the Ravens, however I was very mistaken.

When the Giants won the game, everyone around here acted like their team had actually accomplished something positive in some way..it was eerie. I've never seen a bigger group of uninformed crybabies in my life, until after the game when their P.O.S. players started talking smack about "Spygate" again.

My hatred for their team is just as deep as Joker's hatred for the Jets. Hell, it may be more.

THIS!

I loathe the Steelers and their fans with the strength of a thousand suns. I understand the hatred of all things Jets, but really, think about it, the Steelers are the boil on a rat's arse.

Nice attempt at an overview and prediction column by the fantasy site, but I think Evan and the guys were playing with Monopoly money to some extent...

Lloyd's value is limited due to his track record of only succeeding with Josh. The Rams may be interested in retaining him but their offense is going to be changing under a new HC and OC. He only makes sense for NE and KC (with Daboll), although if KC spends to retain Bowe that will limit their unit budget under Pioli. Given his age and history I don't see Lloyd getting more than 3 years averaging $5-6M and on a liberally incentivized and possibly option/roster bonus type dependent structure so potentially a one year prove it deal that maybe nets him $7-8M in year 1 either way.

Media often talk themselves into a somewhat hysterical financial opinion compared to what actually transpires once the dust settles. This is a deep FA class, not just among WR, and that alone will limit the top tier options ability to cash in. Deals may sound sweet at first glance, but the devil in the details will show them to be a little less so than anticipated.

I though it was odd that they talked about Wayne and Johnson disappearing to some extent but failed to note Wallace's dropoff in the second half of just his third season. And while Baltimore may make a run at him they also have Flacco to deal with this offseason. He wants top 5 QB money, something they haven't had to grapple with in decades, and they will be well served to maintain their identity and run first mentality which will continue to cost a few bucks and also begin transitioning on an aging defense where egos dictate they will continue to have to spend a lot of top tier $$$. They're really in a similar position to the team they'd be taking Wallace from, the only difference being that team has more WR's in the pipeline and their QB signed long term.

I see the Wallace back half drop off as more of a choice by defenses....pick your poison....Brown or Wallace. To me, it looks like both Brown and the Pitt running game both benefited from extra coverage on Wallace. Constant safety awareness of Wallace opened up the box for the Steelers. Teams just can't let the fastest WR in the league be single covered.
Put Wallace on the Pats and force Ds to roll a safety in his direction....think of the miss matches for our TEs and WW. Question....did Safeties ever roll in Branch's direction this year? Too often Branch was getting blanked under the watchful eye of single coverage.
Back to Wallace....remember Big Ben's injury. I don't think Ben was as willing to hang onto the ball and further damage his leg to unleash the long bomb.....Brown and Redmond got the ball in thiose games

So on top of mock drafts we now have mock free agency signing compilations? Jeesh ... I suppose the percentage of correct predictions will probably be similar; what about 10%?

It's a fun exercise but it's certainly not worth anybody actually thinking that it means that this player will go here or that player will end up there.

And as for the Steelers and their fans, with the exception of the two or three great guys that post here occasionally I'm in complete agreement with supafly and Garbanza. As a collective whole I cannot stand their players and their fans more than any other, even the Jets or Ravens.

I see the Wallace back half drop off as more of a choice by defenses....pick your poison....Brown or Wallace. To me, it looks like both Brown and the Pitt running game both benefited from extra coverage on Wallace. Constant safety awareness of Wallace opened up the box for the Steelers. Teams just can't let the fastest WR in the league be single covered.
Put Wallace on the Pats and force Ds to roll a safety in his direction....think of the miss matches for our TEs and WW. Question....did Safeties ever roll in Branch's direction this year? Too often Branch was getting blanked under the watchful eye of single coverage.
Back to Wallace....remember Big Ben's injury. I don't think Ben was as willing to hang onto the ball and further damage his leg to unleash the long bomb.....Brown and Redmond got the ball in thiose games

That's what i'm saying borg.

I don't get why people think the Ravens will go after Wallace. They already have Torrey Smith who can run a 4.3 and has been shown to be an effective deep threat. Why would they pay so much to duplicate that? They could use another receiving option but he Wallace doesn't seem like a fit IMO.

Good point cousin.
It would appear a replacement for Boldin who might have one more year left and physically is wearing down(didn't see that in the play-offs though) They also paid a 4th for Lee Evans who minus a great play by Moore, would have been their 2011 play-off hero. He is another blazer(still?). I think they look for a Colson or Jackson rather than Wallace.
DW Toys

DW Toys touches on another possible target: Lee Evans. He seems like a prime candidate to get cut, and, if so, could probably be had for a very reasonable amount. Injuries and poor QB-pairing have certainly taken a toll on his production over the last couple of years. If he does, in fact, have anything left in the tank and is the field-stretcher that his reputation bears, he could be a very good value signing. I certainly would not be comfortable if he was the only WR addition we made this off-season, but I think he would be a guy to look at as a second option to bring in.

Brown's production remained consistent for the Steelers all season. It didn't spike as a result of Wallace's drop off. Add to that he was amassing over a thousand more yards in the return game...

As for Evans, the Baltimore D would probably offer to pay us to pick him up once he's released... He was their version of Ocho.

Brown's production remained consistent for the Steelers all season. It didn't spike as a result of Wallace's drop off. Add to that he was amassing over a thousand more yards in the return game...

As for Evans, the Baltimore D would probably offer to pay us to pick him up once he's released... He was their version of Ocho.

Knowing he was responsible for us going to te SB i would give Lee Evans a look. The Ravens Offense "is" more complicated than ours...win...win either way.:D ;)

Last edited:
NO (to replace Colston??).

Hmm Randy in the Superdome catching balls from Brees. That's something I'd like to see. He could basically come out of nowhere to put up another huge season on that team. Obviously a lot of things would have to go right for Randy for something like this to happen - I've got a bit of a soft spot for him, so I hope it does.

Great 9 minute film work on the FA WRs (not RFA Wallace).
Interesting what they say about Colston and LLoyd
Film Room: Free Agent WRs

What about a Laurent Robinson?

2 years/$8 mill according to RotoWorld...4.38 speed....feasted on the Giants, Miami, and Buffalo...When Miles Austin went down, Robinson stepped up and Dallas's offense started clicking....Robinson scored a TD 1 out of every 5 touches.

I watched him quite a bit this year...kind of a floppy athlete....fast but not much body control....but always seemed wide open..... moderate cost/minimal years....seems like a cost conscious BB signing.
Looking back on his less than productive career....St Louis and Atlanta....decent rookie season but then disappeared for two injury riddled seasons. Cut twice over the last two years, once due to hamstrings, he finally stuck on Dallas roster the end of September.

Maybe BB could convince Robinson to come to NE on a "we'll give you some starts-prove yourself" type contract vs Dallas and the "wait for an injury" role. Cheap dollars with upside potential....the guy scored 11 TDs on 54 catches....that can't be dismissed

Combine video
Laurent Robinson, 2007 NFL Combine Highlights - YouTube

Stats page
Laurent Robinson - Dallas Cowboys - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Robinson was fantastic for Dallas this past year. I'd still prefer to see Lloyd, since we know he can handle the offense, but Robinson for a more reasonable contract wouldn't be bad at all, either.

This is a very nice link. Thanks for posting it.

I think the fans have a tendency to become obsessed with the WR position (as is obvious by the number of WR threads on this site), but the reality is that the Patriots don't need a #1 WR if they resign Welker, and they just wouldn't pay top money for one. Lloyd would be great if he was willing to come here for Ocho-type money. But if someone pays him more, I think BB will be looking for someone like Laurent Robinson or Robert Meachem

What about a Laurent Robinson?

2 years/$8 mill according to RotoWorld...4.38 speed....feasted on the Giants, Miami, and Buffalo...When Miles Austin went down, Robinson stepped up and Dallas's offense started clicking....Robinson scored a TD 1 out of every 5 touches.

Interesting option. Good height, productivity, age. Looking at his game log for 2011, his performances against the Giants stand out. For some reason.

Last edited:

Great stuff; thanks for the link. Love what Cosell was saying about Lloyd maturing and the clips he showed of him making those catches. I've learned from the past few years of following the draft to be wary of "highlight"-type videos, but that ability to grab onto the ball does seem to be a trait of Lloyd's. Moss in his prime here had that ability to just go and grab it; it's a rare gift.

Not to be overlooked, he also gets off an (almost) Gronk-worthy spike at about 7:20 of the clip.

Here's another familiar name that somebody is going to overpay for.

Giants' Mario Manningham to hit free-agent market, report says | NJ.com

When folks have asked me whether Mario Manningham will be back with the Giants, my educated guess on the matter has been that he's a goner.

The 38-yard toe-tapping catch in the Super Bowl was a money maker for him, no doubt, and there would surely be a team out there ready to pay him what the Giants aren't willing and/or able to pay. They're over the salary cap and have two other wide receivers higher on the depth chart who will soon require sizable contract extensions.

And before anybody thinks the Pats should sign him, consider this:

Plus, as Manningham showed when he ran the wrong route on the next play after the big catch in the Super Bowl, he still makes the occasional mental mistake. As I said in my Super Bowl XLVI game review, the sideline catch is why he'll get paid but the next play is why it won't be by the Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back