PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Draft Class - Better than thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know if this is worthy of it's own thread, but could it be that there is more talent at WR coming out of college than we're led to believe?
I keep hearing how it's a down year for WR's, but is it true? And if so, how "down" could it be? Do you mean to tell me that there aren't any players in rounds 2-4 that can come right in and contribute?
Even WITH Givens, we needed an infusion of talent at the position IMO.
I wish i had names, but I did'nt get to see much college ball this year.

The names of the 3 legit 1st rounders WR are the following:

Moss (short, KR, a beast at Senior Bowl, played at Miami, brother of Santana Moss), Chad Jackson (Florida, 6'1, workout at Combine did move him up), or Holmes (Ohio State, Jr). All of them are probably better than what is in FA, except for Moulds.

I'm sure it isn't a strong draft class because there aren't a whole lot of potential #1 WR's this year. But I'm not sure if that extends to good #2 WR's. That could be a totally different story.

That said, maybe a first day pick at WR is probable. Free agent signings are nice, but TB has been very good. Maybe it's time to get him a new toy of his very own. As opposed to "pre-owned". Brady is still young, a shiny new reciever who could "grow with him" might be the way to go. I'm not big on drafting WR's in early rounds. but if we have a more glaring need, I'd like to know what it is.

CrazyDave said:
That said, maybe a first day pick at WR is probable. Free agent signings are nice, but TB has been very good. Maybe it's time to get him a new toy of his very own. As opposed to "pre-owned". Brady is still young, a shiny new reciever who could "grow with him" might be the way to go. I'm not big on drafting WR's in early rounds. but if we have a more glaring need, I'd like to know what it is.

Good thread! You've convinced me that we should take a 2nd or 3rd round WR. Even in a good WR year I doubt we'd take a WR in the first round, so maybe this year looks sort of normal from the Pats viewpoint. If we sign Givens, then picking a WR in Rounds 2-3 could probably wait another year.

As for "more glaring" needs, it depends who you ask, but the consensus seems to be OL, LB, and maybe DB or RB.

Crazydave, your nickname is missleading. That was a well thought and articulated a thread as I have seen in a good, long while. You've sold me the hook, line & sinker! We need new toys for TOM!!!!!! What a slogan! :rocker:

New Toys For Tom (TM)

Feep_FLA said:
Crazydave, your nickname is missleading. That was a well thought and articulated a thread as I have seen in a good, long while. You've sold me the hook, line & sinker! We need new toys for TOM!!!!!! What a slogan! :rocker:

Agreed! Troy Brown will probably help us out for another year, but doesn't qualify as a New Toy for Tom. If Givens is gone, look for a free agent AND a 2-3 rounder. If Givens stays, look for one or the other. TE also could happen, I'm thinking in Round 4.

And if we get a RB in Rounds 2-3, surely that could qualify under this new slogan too!

shakadave said:
Good thread! You've convinced me that we should take a 2nd or 3rd round WR. Even in a good WR year I doubt we'd take a WR in the first round, so maybe this year looks sort of normal from the Pats viewpoint.

There are some nice WRs in this draft, but nobody looks like "the whole package." They have speed (Sinorice Moss) OR size (Maurice Stovall), flashy physical skills (Chad Jackson) OR proven production (Mike Hass). So it's hard to get excited by anybody in round 1, but there are plenty of receivers who should have solid NFL careers. Look for one of these players to join the Pats in rounds 2-4: Hass, Stovall, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings, Jason Avant, Martin Nance.

patchick said:
There are some nice WRs in this draft, but nobody looks like "the whole package." They have speed (Sinorice Moss) OR size (Maurice Stovall), flashy physical skills (Chad Jackson) OR proven production (Mike Hass). So it's hard to get excited by anybody in round 1, but there are plenty of receivers who should have solid NFL careers. Look for one of these players to join the Pats in rounds 2-4: Hass, Stovall, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings, Jason Avant, Martin Nance.
I haven't looked at the draftees yet...but I totally agree...I know they said it was a bad class for WRs..but what did they mean?? No solid 1st rounder?? OR?? What about the depth of WRs into other rounds?? Sure, maybe not definite stars, but, look at what the Patriots found in Round 7??? I think we will find a WR or WRs in the draft. maybe sign a vet...either an older one for less money or an up and comer..in addition to drafting a few. You mentioned a bunch that are in there...(later rounds..) I am sure there are more!!! Maybe a bit skimpy can't miss at the top..but the bottom may hold gems.

Last edited:
Aw shucks. Seriously though, We've seen guys with speed. They did'nt do much. We've seen guys with size, ditto. I'm thinking a guy with brains. A guy that knows how to find "seams". Knows how to get open. And most importantly, get on the same page with Brady. That's something I always doubted with Givens. More than once I saw Tom yelling at him after a failed 3rd down attempt. I got the impression he was in the wrong place a lot.
KR skills are a plus, but not enough by themselves. Durability is a big factor as well, someone who is not afraid of the weight room.

The wide receivers look better because the need is getting to be more severe.
I suspect that PITT is making the same evaluation.

The girls all look prettier at closing time, too!:D

No, it really does suck. Someone is going to reach for Holmes in the mid-late first round, and he's going to be amazingly mediocre. Moss's upside is about equivalent to Dante Hall. Chad Jackson has the measurables of a track star... and dropsies. And he's probably the second best receiver in the draft.

Haas, Stovall, and Skyler Green all look good to me.

Green is actually Jarvis' cousin from LSU and lead the league as a KR.

But don't forget that kid we've never heard of, who goes to that school we sort of forgot about, that was pretty much on nobody's radar but ours, that Belioli will draft in Round 4 or Round 6, that will become a good starter.

At times like these, it's great to be one of the only teams with its own scouting system (wrong words probably) so that we don't have to listen to the same reports that most other teams go by.

One name I read the other day was Jason Avant, who doesn't have a ton of speed, but was apparently wowing folks at some workout - maybe even the combine - with his cuts and hands.

Last edited:
From an interesting article that might be full of crap:

THE BEST NFL RECEIVER IN THE DRAFT WON'T GO UNTIL THE SECOND ROUND

Santonio Holmes is regarded as the finest prospect in the receiving class and is likely be the first wide out taken. Chad Jackson wowed scouts with a crazy 4.32/40 and climbed into the first round.

But in the NFL, the best receiver of this crop is going to be Michigan's Jason Avant. He didn't run the forty at the combine so his speed will be an issue. What scouts can’t take issue with are his incredible hands and instincts to set up opposing corners. Coaches thought he wore crazy glue at the combine because he didn't drop anything. While it would be ridiculous to compare him to Jerry Rice, he has the ability to be that type of receiver.

Some teams will take a pass because speed will be their apprehension. They'll live to regret it.

rookBoston said:
No, it really does suck. Someone is going to reach for Holmes in the mid-late first round, and he's going to be amazingly mediocre. Moss's upside is about equivalent to Dante Hall. Chad Jackson has the measurables of a track star... and dropsies. And he's probably the second best receiver in the draft.

Thank you rook, for setting things straight. Even in a good reciever year, its not smart to draft one in the first round. Value is too equal through rounds 1-4, and the potential for a bust is enourmous. If the Pats draft a reciever this year, I'm thinking end of rd3, or rd4.

rookBoston said:
Define "best" and "receiver"....

I've thought the best value for a "receiver" could be found in the possession guys who would be solid #2 & #3 men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes