PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early tweets from the first OTA open to media indicate that Lloyd is living up to expectations, all the QB's are looking for him, Hoyer hooked up with him and Stallworth (only mention of the heir apparent was throwing a pick), and along the lines that some things never change, Chad was offsides and had to do a lap and was also redirected by Branch when he lined up in the wrong spot.

But Belichick has never cut a player who restructured his contract in the same season.

Its bad business.

Mike Reiss takes a look at Brandon Lloyd:

New England Patriots' Brandon Lloyd looks primed to fill passing game's missing link downfield - ESPN Boston

As I see it, the Pats will carry 2-3 guys who provide an outside presence and 2-3 guys who can mostly play the slot and provide an interior threat. Lloyd and probably Gaffney are locks outside, leaving Stallowrth and Ochocinco on the bubble. Welker is a lock inside, with Branch, Gonzalez and Edelman fighting it out for roster spots. I know some people think Branch is a lock, but I'm not convinced.

Thing is it won't come down to convincing you. Bill and Tom and the staff often value things that fans simply don't factor into their evaluation. They often cite it as a player doing all the little things (which can include precise route running, well executed blocks, appropriate reads and adjustments) that make the offense effective and efficient even when personally not targeted. Some believe Branch has lost a step. According to Reiss he looked fast yesterday and Brady strongly commended him for one particularly well executed route.

IMO as well as some of the media, he was overused and wore down down the stretch last season in large part because Ocho and the kids provided nothing on the other side basically mandating his overuse, something the Lloyd signing was clearly persued to rectify. Stallworth was brought in for depth and insurance, but he's also had a history of hammy issues and is signed to a split contract. Then Gaffney became available - the guy who replaced Stallworth the last time out. Meantime, Gonzo hasn't managed to make it onto the field yet and he too is signed to a split contract. While Edleman is in a contract year and is still returning punts in OTA's, along with Welker and...Branch.

I think barring camp injury Branch is a virtual lock, Ditto Gaffney. Because they both possess the ability to run any route in a pinch. Lloyd, Welker, Branch, Gaffney, Edleman, and... Stallworth, Ocho, Gonzo, the rookie and everyone else competing for maybe one more receiver slot. Maybe. Absent ST versatility it may be hard to justify a 6th WR with an emergency WR already on the ST roster in Slater.

Of course it won't come down to convincing me. That's stating the obvious. Just as it won't come down to whatever you say, despite your belief that you are looking over BB's shoulder. Or to Reiss saying that Branch looked fast at OTAs yesterday. It means nothing.

There will likely be 6 WR spots. 7 is a possibility, but would create strains elsewhere. Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Branch and Slater would take up 5 of those 6 spots, leaving 1 for Edelman, Gonzalez, Stallworth and Ochocinco. That may be what will happen, but I doubt it's cast in concrete right now. Branch's rapport with Brady, his experience with the system and his ability to do the "little things" probably give him an inside track. If I had to bet right now, I'd bet Branch will be on the roster. But I doubt it's as cast in concrete as you suggest. And I don't see why my holding a personal opinion should be any of your damn business. You think Branch is a lock. I think he's likely, but not a lock. And what ever happens will happen, regardless of what we think.

Thing is it won't come down to convincing you. Bill and Tom and the staff often value things that fans simply don't factor into their evaluation. They often cite it as a player doing all the little things (which can include precise route running, well executed blocks, appropriate reads and adjustments) that make the offense effective and efficient even when personally not targeted. Some believe Branch has lost a step. According to Reiss he looked fast yesterday and Brady strongly commended him for one particularly well executed route.

IMO as well as some of the media, he was overused and wore down down the stretch last season in large part because Ocho and the kids provided nothing on the other side basically mandating his overuse, something the Lloyd signing was clearly persued to rectify. Stallworth was brought in for depth and insurance, but he's also had a history of hammy issues and is signed to a split contract. Then Gaffney became available - the guy who replaced Stallworth the last time out. Meantime, Gonzo hasn't managed to make it onto the field yet and he too is signed to a split contract. While Edleman is in a contract year and is still returning punts in OTA's, along with Welker and...Branch.

I think barring camp injury Branch is a virtual lock, Ditto Gaffney. Because they both possess the ability to run any route in a pinch. Lloyd, Welker, Branch, Gaffney, Edleman, and... Stallworth, Ocho, Gonzo, the rookie and everyone else competing for maybe one more receiver slot. Maybe. Absent ST versatility it may be hard to justify a 6th WR with an emergency WR already on the ST roster in Slater.

It's my business because you make it so by posting it on a message board. We don't all just agree with what folks post here, no matter how well thought out they believe or portray their posts to be. You may be confusing this place with the Planet on more than one level... Here we debate and disagree and often find our opinions challenged whether by facts or just other well thought out or even not so well thought out opinions. And FYI Reiss isn't the only mediot who believes Branch isn't remotely done here. And I would never cast a virtual lock in concrete, that would make it a lock.

Definition of virtual: General: Having most properties, the appearance, essence, or effect, of something without being that thing.

This all seems so straightforward to me......

Barring injury, this is how I see it playing out

100% Lock:
Welker
Lloyd

90% Lock:
Gaffney - Just below welker and lloyd, but he would have to screw the pooch to lose this spot.

Old and in the way......likely only to get one max out of this group:
Stallworth
Branch
Ochocinco
Gonzalez - my feeling is that if he does not get injured, he wins this group easily.......he's a damned good WR with route skills and all around package

Fighting it out for ST unless they completely suprise .... we will get 2 out of this group.... one spot will likely be between edleman and slater, and the other between the others....unless they are useless, then it will be edelman and slater......has to be 2 because none of the top 4 will do any special teams unless they put welker in a pinch:
Davis
Ebert
Edelman
Roark
Slater

Mike Reiss takes a look at Brandon Lloyd:

New England Patriots' Brandon Lloyd looks primed to fill passing game's missing link downfield - ESPN Boston

As I see it, the Pats will carry 2-3 guys who provide an outside presence and 2-3 guys who can mostly play the slot and provide an interior threat. Lloyd and probably Gaffney are locks outside, leaving Stallowrth and Ochocinco on the bubble. Welker is a lock inside, with Branch, Gonzalez and Edelman fighting it out for roster spots. I know some people think Branch is a lock, but I'm not convinced.

I agree with the general thrust of your post, although I think Branch would be more of a hybrid (playing both outside and inside), and Gaffney is more than capable of sliding inside as well.

To me, the numbers game at WR may very well turn out to be the most interesting aspect of the offseason, especially if Ebert is able to press the veterans for a spot. IMO, based upon the recent past performances and current contract status/issues:

Locks:

Welker
Lloyd

Near lock/Big advantage:

Gaffney
Branch

Fighting tooth and nail for 1 spot if the team carries 6, and 2 spots if the team carries 7:

Everyone else*

*I have Slater as a lock and taking up a WR position, but he's not actually a WR, so I didn't name him on the list.

Last edited:
I agree with the general thrust of your post, although I think Branch would be more of a hybrid (playing both outside and inside), and Gaffney is more than capable of sliding inside as well.

To me, the numbers game at WR may very well turn out to be the most interesting aspect of the offseason, especially if Ebert is able to press the veterans for a spot. IMO, based upon the recent past performances and current contract status/issues:

Locks:

Welker
Lloyd

Near lock/Big advantage:

Gaffney
Branch

Fighting tooth and nail for 1 spot if the team carries 6, and 2 spots if the team carries 7:

Everyone else*

*I have Slater as a lock and taking up a WR position, but he's not actually a WR, so I didn't name him on the list.

I think that's a very reasonable breakdown. Very nice.

Locks:

Welker
Lloyd

Near lock/Big advantage:

Gaffney
Branch

Everyone else*

I think branch's physical skills have diminished sufficiently where the pats won't be able to afford the roster spot to keep him.

I think branch's physical skills have diminished sufficiently where the pats won't be able to afford the roster spot to keep him.

You may be right. But Brady is very conservative about which receivers he trusts, and Branch is very versed in the offense. That's why I said he wasn't a lock but agreed that he had a big advantage going into the preseason. He's a known quantity, and someone will have to clearly outplay him to take away his spot

Deion's deal is a one year deal, but it gives him $400,000 in signing and workout bonuses, and it also has another $250,000 in possible incentives. I don't think Branch's history with the Patriots earned him any sort of $400,000 golden parachute, so I expect that he's got a significant advantage when it comes to making the team, and that his contract reflects that.

BB won't keep Branch around for sentimental reasons. He's got to show he can stay healthy and perform to get a spot on the 53.

Same with Ocho..bite the bullet and move on if it STILL isn't working out. Too many decent WR's that will make the catch and KNOW the playbook to try and fit a square peg in a round hole.

screw that....brady should just focus on getting the ball where it is supposed to go and leave the personnel decision to people who know 10x about personnel

either thrust the WR you are given or go find another hobby

You may be right. But Brady is very conservative about which receivers he trusts, and Branch is very versed in the offense. That's why I said he wasn't a lock but agreed that he had a big advantage going into the preseason. He's a known quantity, and someone will have to clearly outplay him to take away his spot

BB won't keep Branch around for sentimental reasons. He's got to show he can stay healthy and perform to get a spot on the 53.

Same with Ocho..bite the bullet and move on if it STILL isn't working out. Too many decent WR's that will make the catch and KNOW the playbook to try and fit a square peg in a round hole.

I agree with this. If BB let Troy Brown go at the end of his career, he has no problem letting players go if HE thinks they are through, they have no say in the matter, the only say they have is to prove themselves on the practice field and game field.

I think unless Branch and Ochostinko have incredibly great preseasons, they are history.

My prediction for the receivers who are locks are:

Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney and Edelman (Welker's backup slot receiver and punt returner). I think Branch, Stallworth, Gonzales & Ochostinko have to fight it out for the last receiver spot. I can't see the Pats keeping 6 receivers.

screw that....brady should just focus on getting the ball where it is supposed to go and leave the personnel decision to people who know 10x about personnel

either thrust the WR you are given or go find another hobby

LOL Potential new front runner for most pathetic post of the year (although it's always a close race in the end).

Deion's deal is a one year deal, but it gives him $400,000 in signing and workout bonuses, and it also has another $250,000 in possible incentives. I don't think Branch's history with the Patriots earned him any sort of $400,000 golden parachute, so I expect that he's got a significant advantage when it comes to making the team, and that his contract reflects that.

Deion is not makin the team, sadly as he is a great guy/teammate. unless 2 or 3 of our wrs get injured.

Someone should start a classic No Way Branch Makes The Roster Thread for posterity.

So let's say NE keeps 5; Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Stallworth, and Slater. Branch and Johnson get cut. Do either of them have anything to offer the Bills as a 2/3 or are these two guys cooked?

Keep in mind our #1 ATM is really a #2 on most other teams and our #2 is really a #3/4 possesion guy that has peaked IMO.

Can your WR fodder help our club or not?

Uh...according to the "experts" at J.I., the Patriots actually do NOT have even ONE capable WR...Welker is a "system" slot receiver who couldn't even start on most teams, especially a team like the Jets , who boast all world talent like Curt Schilling...er...Chaz Schilling...uh..wait...Schilens..and Branch, Ocho and the 33 year old going on 34 Lloyd are well past their primes and could never crack any other team's lineup...uh Gonzalez will never play again and the rest are special teams JAGS...

so, no...going by these expert analyses, Buffalo would be wise to look any/everywhere else for WR help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back