PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodhead as a shifty RB who can also play in the slot, but who I don't trust against a blitzing LB.

That my friend, is an understatement.

I am not sure how accurate the "drops" statistic is, but assuming this is a reasonable list of drops for each receiver take a look at 4, 6, 15, 19 and 22. I must say I was a bit surprised at who is at #4.

'Best hands I've ever seen on a receiver' - NFC West Blog - ESPN

Michael Crabtree? Somebody send Harbaugh a videotape with Raymond Berry or Chris carter on it. Puh-lease.

This reminds me of Rex Ryan saying that Plaxico Burress had the best feet he'd ever seen on a wide receiver.

Despite playing in the NFC West, apparently Jim Harbaugh has never seen Larry Fitzgerald play.

My guess, and I want to emphasize it is only a guess, is the WR end up looking like this:

Gaffney
Welker
Stallworth
Johnson (Ocho is changing his name back in July I think)

Edelman and Slater make it as special team players that are "Break glass in case of emergency" wide receivers.

Branch retires but stays in shape in case the phone rings. Ebert (I think that is his name) goes practice squad.

Running backs are, let me emphasize "guess" again:

Ridley
Woodhead
Vareen

For Faulk - see Branch.:D

I see a FB, I just don't know or care who.
I see 3 TE.
To save a roster spot, assuming Mallet is half as good as some people think, only QBs with a sad heartfelt goodbye to Hoyer as he goes to back up a QB poor team. A rookie FA is put on the practice squad just for an extra arm in practice.

Except Branch, who may retire instead of play elsewhere, any WR that doesn't make it MAY be a good 2nd WR elsewhere.

Oh, did I emphasize this is a guess?:D

I think you forgot Brandon Lloyd :D

I'm guessing Welker, Lloyd and Gaffney make the roster and get the bulk of the snaps.

No more than one of Branch, Stallworth, Ochocinco and Gonzalez makes the roster.

Slater is a lock too, though I would call his position ST rather than WR.

One roster spot may come down to either Edelman or Ebert - or Belichick may surprise us and keep both, but none of the four veterans listed above.

More likely an injury or two will wreak havoc with these predictions and have a big impact on which of these players does or does not survive final cuts.

Despite playing in the NFC West, apparently Jim Harbaugh has never seen Larry Fitzgerald play.

Harbaugh and his comments and antics are already becoming quite old, in my opinion.

He could take a page from his brother and try and just keep his big mouth shut a little more, although John isn't exactly the defintion of the most humble coach either...but he's a lot better than his brother.

I'd love to see him brought back down to earth this season, even as much as I tend to root for the underdog (which SF was last yr in my opinion).

As for Larry Fitz--yeah, one 'drop' every 80 receptions tends to give you the kind of reputation that will be deemed as the top of your position with 31/32 coaches apparently.

Last edited:
I am not sure how accurate the "drops" statistic is, but assuming this is a reasonable list of drops for each receiver take a look at 4, 6, 15, 19 and 22. I must say I was a bit surprised at who is at #4.

'Best hands I've ever seen on a receiver' - NFC West Blog - ESPN

That is an interesting list. Five of our receivers are within the top 22 in the NFL in terms of catching what is thrown to them :- Gaffney, Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Lloyd. That is great news and Gaffney is indeed a nice surprise. I did not watch him play last season but it would indicate that he knows how to get open.

Lloyd with #88 on the back of his helmet at OTA. Just incase anyone wanted to know.

That is an interesting list. Five of our receivers are within the top 22 in the NFL in terms of catching what is thrown to them :- Gaffney, Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Lloyd. That is great news and Gaffney is indeed a nice surprise. I did not watch him play last season but it would indicate that he knows how to get open.

Sure handed receivers are a plus. The Pats are stacked with both in the WR and TE department. There's gonna be some great competition in camp! This reminds me of the Saints group of receivers during their Superbowl winning year. Each guy could hurt the defense so there was no way to shut down everyone.

Lloyd with #88 on the back of his helmet at OTA. Just incase anyone wanted to know.

Nice. I liked #80 for him but #88 is pretty good.

Where'd you get that from? I haven't read anything about the OTAs.

Nice. I liked #80 for him but #88 is pretty good.

Where'd you get that from? I haven't read anything about the OTAs.

i saw it on patriots.com. they have a quick video of an OTA and I saw the back of his helmet.

I just remembered that Lloyd confirmed on twitter a few days ago he was taking #88.

Who wore it last?

Fauria?

New+England+Patriots+v+Houston+Texans+S1ikOKKeHVbl.jpg

I would note that our #4 receiver gets very few receptions during the year.

I agree with the rest of the analysis, except with respect to a possible 7th WR/ST. We have carried 5 WR plus 2 Ster's before. This year our Ster's are Slater and Edelman. I expect (as almost all do) expect Beluchick to carry four WR plus 2 STer's. If we carry seven, I think the 7th could be anyone, not just Ebert.

I think you forgot Brandon Lloyd :D

I'm guessing Welker, Lloyd and Gaffney make the roster and get the bulk of the snaps.

No more than one of Branch, Stallworth, Ochocinco and Gonzalez makes the roster.

Slater is a lock too, though I would call his position ST rather than WR.

One roster spot may come down to either Edelman or Ebert - or Belichick may surprise us and keep both, but none of the four veterans listed above.

More likely an injury or two will wreak havoc with these predictions and have a big impact on which of these players does or does not survive final cuts.

Early tweets from the first OTA open to media indicate that Lloyd is living up to expectations, all the QB's are looking for him, Hoyer hooked up with him and Stallworth (only mention of the heir apparent was throwing a pick), and along the lines that some things never change, Chad was offsides and had to do a lap and was also redirected by Branch when he lined up in the wrong spot.

Early tweets from the first OTA open to media indicate that Lloyd is living up to expectations, all the QB's are looking for him, Hoyer hooked up with him and Stallworth (only mention of the heir apparent was throwing a pick), and along the lines that some things never change, Chad was offsides and had to do a lap and was also redirected by Branch when he lined up in the wrong spot.

Where face palm gif be at?

Last edited:
Ocho was thinking of his Gold Starbuck's card. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Chris Price has a pretty good summary up. Including atttendance, much of which is explainable. Gonsalez however was not spotted at practice...already. Ocho was the only player penalized, and that was for just one of his two misfires. Haven't heard a peep about Gaffney. Reiss observed that Branch looked fast and Tommy was commending him for one particularly well executed route. Gallery at LG and Connolly with the first unit at C. Judging from the tweets most of the observations were concensus. No mention of "The Hammer" by anyone beyond throwing the pick. Fortunately Hoyer seemed to have a good day.

It Is What It Is » Notes from the Patriots’ Thursday morning OTA session

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye