PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Brandon Lloyd's Option Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What is the date that Lloyd's option bonus is due? I thought that this date was sometimes the first of March in the past. It is $3M.

im pretty sure the bonus is at any point of the season i dont think theres a specific due date but i might be wrong

They are generally due in March, often on the 5th day of the new league year (which is roughly a week before FA or by March 31. Sometimes they are due sooner. Vick just had a roster bonus due last Thursday and Philly opted to pay it since they don't know what they want to do with hm just yet (I think Kelly has said he'd like to retain him but only on a restructured deal). There is no set rule on the timing of option or roster bonuses.

They are generally due in March, often on the 5th day of the new league year (which is roughly a week before FA or by March 31. Sometimes they are due sooner. Vick just had a roster bonus due last Thursday and Philly opted to pay it since they don't know what they want to do with hm just yet (I think Kelly has said he'd like to retain him but only on a restructured deal). There is no set rule on the timing of option or roster bonuses.

Just an FYI, since you brought him up and I didn't want to make a separate thread for it:

Vick and the Eagles have worked out a one year deal.

Just an FYI, since you brought him up and I didn't want to make a separate thread for it:

Vick and the Eagles have worked out a one year deal.

Yup, took a real $5.5M haircut too. One year up to $10M deal with two phony years on the backend for cap purposes.

What is the date that Lloyd's option bonus is due? I thought that this date was sometimes the first of March in the past. It is $3M.

This is the crying shame Cousin;
"Fitzgerald is stuck on scrub island at this point, as he’s the best wide receiver in football with no quarterback to get him the ball.

The frustration you must feel having your prime NFL years wasted.

Fitzgerald is not depressed about though as he keeps his spirits up, and according to Larry Brown Sports, Fitzgerald is not sure how to respond.

“I have no words,” Fitzgerald said according to the Arizona Republic. “I have to laugh to keep from crying.”

I would take Edleman and Fitzgerald and maybe DHB on the cheap and not sign Welker and release Lloyd (A I mentioned Gaffney II).

Can BB spring him out of jail? How about Mallet and a third? You would have a go to, a lot of outsider speed and AH in the slot with Edelman as your #4. I could live with that.

DW Toys

"Fitzgerald is stuck on scrub island at this point, as he’s the best wide receiver in football with no quarterback to get him the ball.

Fitzgerald is not depressed about though as he keeps his spirits up, and according to Larry Brown Sports, Fitzgerald is not sure how to respond.

“I have no words,” Fitzgerald said according to the Arizona Republic. “I have to laugh to keep from crying.”

I would take Edleman and Fitzgerald and maybe DHB on the cheap and not sign Welker and release Lloyd (A I mentioned Gaffney II).

Can BB spring him out of jail? How about Mallet and a third? You would have a go to, a lot of outsider speed and AH in the slot with Edelman as your #4. I could live with that.

DW Toys

If Percy is going to fetch a 1st or 2nd, then Fitzy is going to fetch multiple picks and players..

pay lloyd the $$ as welker is most likely gone..we lose both...we are royally F'ed

I certainly expect that we will pay the bonus. After all, we could always trade him if we thought we found someone better.

Oops, that doesn't work because of the ELEVEN million of dead money.

DW Toys

psshh...give them mallet and a 7th and keep the third.
or better yet -- just the 7th.

DW Toys

Unfortunately the top 2 WRs in the game are pretty much getting wasted, and even though C.Johnson had a great year, the team itself still had a horrible record.

You have to be able to surround those guys with some talent to be effective, and the problem is that those enormous cap hits then start to really limit the team and the kinds of players that you can build around them. In essence, they are both kind of getting wasted due to the overall ineffectiveness of their respective offenses and their teams' horrible losing records. DET really has no excuse because they don't spend a damn thing on defense. It just so happens that they have gotten very unlucky with key injuries (amongst many other problems higher up) to their key skill position players, and the attitude problems of the headcase known as Titus Young has now made them waste another high round pick to boot.

A much better case could be made for C.Johnson since he regularly beats double coverage anyway and still produces huge numbers, but until they surround him with some adequate talent, I expect the team to still have some problems on that side of the ball.

As far as Larry Fitzgerald's story, the ARZ Cardinals should be ashamed of themselves for not supplying a better offense around an enormous talent like that. That kind of receiver comes very infrequently, and they should be making much better use of him. Unfortunately they will likely never part with him, and even if they did, the NEP would have a hard time managing that kind of high money contract which would obviously include multiple high round draft picks. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals asked for a 1st and a 2nd myself, and he'd be worth it too if not for that enormous pact. He's under contract in ARZ until the 2019 season which is a shame, but at least he's making top notch money.

Cousin DW never sweats the details. The Cards could trade Fitz in a heartbeat because he has just $6M in dead cap and the bulk of his deal is yet to come and would cripple whatever team he was traded to.

2013: $5 million (+ $10 million option bonus due 3/15), 2014: $12.75 million, 2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2016: $15 million, 2017-2018: $14.75 million, 2019: Free Agent

Cap hits to trading partner $7.25M, $15M, $16.25M, $17.25M, $17M, $15M.

Perhaps when Larry next looks in the mirror he should ask himself why don't I have a franchise QB tossing me that rock...is it something I did? btw Fitz will be 30 in August. Roughly $30M of his $50M in guaranteed money remains to be paid.

This is also why I grimace when folks cavalierly claim that Welker is asking for top WR money. He's asking for roughly half of that...on half as long a deal.

Cousin DW never sweats the details. The Cards could trade Fitz in a heartbeat because he has just $6M in dead cap and the bulk of his deal is yet to come and would cripple whatever team he was traded to.

Perhaps when Larry next looks in the mirror he should ask himself why don't I have a franchise QB tossing me that rock...is it something I did? btw Fitz will be 30 in August. Roughly $30M of his $50M in guaranteed money remains to be paid.

This is also why I grimace when folks cavalierly claim that Welker is asking for top WR money. He's asking for roughly half of that...on half as long a deal.

Mo, I just stated that it was a shame about LF. I understand his financials. If there was a way to explore it, so be it. If LF is serious about going to a contender such as the Pats, SF, Seattle, GB etc., he has to understand that it might take an actual trade (you understand where the trade off is on that) to remove the CAP stress from the secondary team.
I sweated a little on that one. It has to involved a Player trade of some sort.
DW Toys

Sign Welker to a 3-year, $33 million deal, and then trade him, along with Mallett and a 2014 2nd round pick to Arizona for Fitzgerald. As much as I like Welker, Fitzgerald is simply better. Yes, he would cost more, but he'd be worth it. And as part of the deal you ask Fitz to rip up his deal and take a pay cut. Would he do it? Well, if he's laughing to keep himself from crying, then what a nice change of fortune it would be to go from the crapfest that is Arizona to the nice spirals of Tom Brady and the juggernaut Patriots. Say he redoes his deal and costs only $13 million a year against the cap? (note: is that even allowed? can players simply rip up deals and agree to take less? I think so, but I'm not positive) Then the Pats' payroll only goes up slightly.

So for the Pats, they'd get a major WR upgrade in Fitzgerald. The price to pay is Welker, their backup QB, a future 2nd round pick, and less cap space.

For the Cards, they free up a lot of money, they get a potential QB of the future, a nice future draft pick, and, oh by the way, a really, really good WR back in return.

Sign Welker to a 3-year, $33 million deal, and then trade him, along with Mallett and a 2014 2nd round pick to Arizona for Fitzgerald. As much as I like Welker, Fitzgerald is simply better. Yes, he would cost more, but he'd be worth it. And as part of the deal you ask Fitz to rip up his deal and take a pay cut. Would he do it? Well, if he's laughing to keep himself from crying, then what a nice change of fortune it would be to go from the crapfest that is Arizona to the nice spirals of Tom Brady and the juggernaut Patriots. Say he redoes his deal and costs only $13 million a year against the cap? (note: is that even allowed? can players simply rip up deals and agree to take less? I think so, but I'm not positive) Then the Pats' payroll only goes up slightly.

So for the Pats, they'd get a major WR upgrade in Fitzgerald. The price to pay is Welker, their backup QB, a future 2nd round pick, and less cap space.

For the Cards, they free up a lot of money, they get a potential QB of the future, a nice future draft pick, and, oh by the way, a really, really good WR back in return.

People just don't get how things work in the NFL. Beyond the fact that Mallett has zero trade value at the moment, signing Welker to a 3 year $33M deal would cost them about $12M+ in dead cap (signing bonus money which stays with the trading team). And Fitz isn't taking a pay cut that eliminates any of the $30M plus he's owed because as much as they whine about wanting to win, players also want to be paid.

Fitzgerald has so much money coming to him that he's not worth much in a trade. 1 year for $7M is worth something but after that you have to cut him, most likely. No receiver is worth 12-15M per year.

The value in a player is what he creates less what it costs to have him. He's driven his value down to about zero. Which is one reason why top players are on bad teams; they make them bad with their salary demands.

Is it somethng he did? Yes, he asked for so much money they can't hire a decent QB. But maybe that's wrong, maybe they're well under the cap. But it's hard for someone to trade for such a huge contract...if he had a reasonable contract he could demand a trade. And Ariz would get picks etc.

I think he has only his greed to blame for his situation.

DW Toys

Fitzgerald is to the Cardinals as Wilfork and Brady are to the Patriots.

It would take a franchise QB prospect (along the lines of Wilson before you try to point to Mallett) along with a first and another high draft pick. And I quite frankly wouldn't be surprised if they asked for more.

On top of that, Fitz's contract is an albatross and we would say good bye to Vollmer, Talib, Welker (duh), Edelman, Arrington and all depth we would hope (and need) to sign at DE, DT, T, G, S, CB. This is not even accounting for how we absolutely need to replace Gregory somehow.

Fitz would do more harm than good for us.

I certainly expect that we will pay the bonus. After all, we could always trade him if we thought we found someone better.

Oops, that doesn't work because of the ELEVEN million of dead money.

Check your math. Cant have 11 mill dead money on a 3yr 12mill deal

I think that we'd owe $5M of dead money from the old contract in addition to the bonus from the new contract.

My primary point was that we're not paying this year's bonus and then trading Lloyd. Obviously (to you and me) it makes ost sense to keep Lloyd. The alternative is to not pay the bonus and sign someone else.

Check your math. Cant have 11 mill dead money on a 3yr 12mill deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye