PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some comments on the comments:

1. The OP must be watching some other WR's because DA was the WR who created the MOST separation in any of the drills I've watched TC.

2. The more I've watched TC and the more I've looked at the TE roster moves, and the more I've watched Brandon LaFell the more I see THIS set of roles for him

a. top big outside WR option until Dobson gets to full speed and gets enough practice time to develop some connection to Brady. (likely at least the first 4 games)
b. Additional size and strength in the red zone.
c. and like we've talked earlier in pre-season, but eventually somehow dismissed, I think HE gets to run the so called "move TE" routes and run blocking schemes. As he's proven to be a capable inside receiver, and a good blocker vs LB's and DB's. He has the same catch radius as Hernandez. He's faster, but not quite as quick with his feet. Its certainly not exactly the same, but the skill sets are similar enough to see this happen.
d. Overall WR depth

3. With Tyms on suspension Boyce will survive the final cut. Personally I think Boyce has been progressing nicely if not spectacularly. He's doing an excellent job of consistently getting deep, and catching his share of passes inside. His position on the "bubble" has less to do with anything he's doing wrong, but what Tyms is doing right.

4. Brian Tyms has been a REAL find, at least to me. He has shown a nice combination of size, decent speed, and a better than average leaping ability and the instinct to go after the ball in a crowd. He also seems to have picked up the offense pretty well as well.

Between he and Boyce, I think he's been the better player But again its not that Boyce has sucked. Far from it. Its much more that Tyms has shined. Lets not forget that this is Tyms 3rd year in the league and his experience has shown.

I'm surprised the WR starved Browns chose to release him. I guess he got lost in all the chaos in the management turn over during the Browns off season.

5. His suspension is a good break (in some respects) for the Pats. It gives Boyce an additional 4 weeks to make his case for a place on the roster. It will make it less likely for a team to grab either player since rosters and PS will have been more established, and 4 weeks into the season, who knows what the state of the WR's health is gong to be.

6. While Edelman and DA are clearly the guys Brady is looking for first....at this point. I firmly believe that his comfort level is growing with the rest of the guys and as the season progresses, he will move more and more back to the days when his favorite receiver will be the "guy that's open".

7. And despite the length and detail of my own response, my initial reaction to this thread, was the correct one. WTF do we need ANOTHER discussion about our WR's. :eek: ;)

Last edited:
I'd look at LaFell and Thompkins as interchangeable 2A and 2B with Amendola as #3. LaFell made a couple of the crushing blocks that he is known for last week and that will earn him reps in the 2TE (3 OT) offense. Dobson will certainly get some reps when he gets back, but he has to earn playing time. Boyce gets waived and picked-up by someone else, and hopefully, Tyms lands on the PS when he finishes serving his 4-game suspension.

There may be battles for reps. But I don't see a real roster battle this year or even next. We have our 5. The Practice Squad will likely have Tyms and Gallon. Four of our receivers hopefully will be on the 2105 team.

The only question to me is whether we keep Boyce as a kick returner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back