Welcome to PatsFans.com

WP:Soldiers in Iraq Say Pullout Would Have Devastating Results

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

This from the anti-war Washington Post. Funny how it was buried on page A 13.

Soldiers in Iraq Say Pullout Would Have Devastating Results

By Josh White
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, November 6, 2006; Page A13

FORWARD OPERATING BASE SYKES, Iraq, Nov. 5 -- For the U.S. troops fighting in Iraq, the war is alternately violent and hopeful, sometimes very hot and sometimes very cold. It is dusty and muddy, calm and chaotic, deafeningly loud and eerily quiet.

The one thing the war is not, however, is finished, dozens of soldiers across the country said in interviews. And leaving Iraq now would have devastating consequences, they said.

With a potentially historic U.S. midterm election on Tuesday and the war in Iraq a major issue at the polls, many soldiers said the United States should not abandon its effort here. Such a move, enlisted soldiers and officers said, would set Iraq on a path to civil war, give new life to the insurgency and create the possibility of a failed state after nearly four years of fighting to implant democracy.

More...

The soldiers declined to discuss the political jousting back home, but they expressed support for the Bush administration's approach to the war, which they described as sticking with a tumultuous situation to give Iraq a chance to stand on its own.

And also....

Capt. Jim Modlin, 26, of Oceanport, N.J., said he thought the situation in Iraq had improved between his deployment in 2003 and his return this year as a liaison officer to Iraqi security forces with the 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, based here on FOB Sykes outside Tall Afar. Modlin described himself as more liberal than conservative and said he had already cast his absentee ballot in Texas. He said he believed that U.S. elected officials would lead the military in the right direction, regardless of what happens Tuesday.

"Pulling out now would be as bad or worse than going forward with no changes," Modlin said. "Sectarian violence would be rampant, democracy would cease to exist, and the rule of law would be decimated. It's not 'stay the course,' and it's not 'cut and run' or other political catchphrases. There are people's lives here. There are so many different dynamics that go on here that a simple solution just isn't possible."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/05/AR2006110500770.html

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +441 / 11 / -14

But the troops on the ground can't be as knowledgeable as the pundits in the beltway after John Carry said they wernt edicatid and edned up in Irak.

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

what I find typical about this story is that it was buried on page A 13, and also that the pundits in the MSM haven't talked about it. They front page any story that has a vet or soldier criticize the war, but they won't even discuss an article that shows the troops want to see it through. Typical.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

I've been an advocate of caning Rummy for quite some time now. I actually felt that GW should have canned Cheney prior to the 2004 re-election bid. I'm no Bush appologist, I simply call things how I see them, and to me, Rummy should have been canned way back.

As for your poll assumption, I wouldn't be so sure. There are a very high number of soldiers who feel the mission is worth it. That doesn't mean they your assumption would be wrong, I'm just saying I think the people there have a different feeling about Iraq than those of us watching it on TV.