PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Miami made a very large mistake in letting go Seau. He and Vrabel had no problem inside.

Colvin looked awesome and Banta-Cain was fine.

Bottom line, we have two new starting linebackers and the defense pitched a shutout!!!

---------------------------

Watson!!

Our base defense is now 2 TE's and 2 WR's. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have even two wide receivers. We have Troy Brown.
-------------------------------

The Offensive Line looks great!
-------------------------------\

BTW, I think Sanders was playing nickel.

Caldwell is officially a stiff. There's no debate anymore.

I agree, when's the last time Caldwell had a catch other that a 7 yard out?

Cool down on Seau, it's only one half and there is no Portis.

Where the heck did Maroney go? Dillon got a face full of turf.

It appears the Pats are trying all different types of formations by each series. And apparently Watson is the only one who can catch.

Maybe they want to work more passing that running. Strange

The first half looks like they are trying out the receivers, and in the second half the running game.

Not bad, not bad at all.

:D

I think you're overreacting about Seau. We need to see more. Washington gave a pitiful half-assed effort tonight- partly because the Pats played better and with more intensity, partly because Wash mailed it in for some reason (preseason). I think the jury is still out on Seau, although I am obviously rooting for him very hard. I also thought Rodney, understandably, looked very tentative.

Last edited:
Seau will make the team and will be OK as a starter. He likely won't look this good against other teams. But he played well and he will contrbute. DO you doubt that?

PonyExpress said:
I think you're overreacting about Seau. We need to see more. Washington gave a pitiful half-assed effort tonight- partly because the Pats played better and with more intensity, partly because Wash mailed it in for some reason (preseason). I think the jury is still out on Seau, although I am obviously rooting for him very hard. I also thought Rodney, understandably, looked very tentative.

At this rate Troy Brown is going to be our number 1 wide receiver.

I was rooting for him but Caldwell has shown me nothing.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:

Living here in MD, I can authoritatively say that Washington did NOT mail this in tonight. Gibbs read them the riot act after their loss to the Jets last week and had them pumped up to nail this down tonight.

In the presser after the game carried here locally, Gibbs looked white as a ghost and talked in a near whisper.

You are right about Rodney, however. He looked like he was in preservation mode. I can't blame him at all. I was shocked to see him out there tonight.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Seau will make the team and will be OK as a starter. He likely won't look this good against other teams. But he played well and he will contrbute. DO you doubt that?
I want to agree with you, and I hope your right, but I'm not going to base my opinion off that one play against Ladell Betts. I simply need to see more before I jump in and declare him good-to-go.

I understood the 'skins to be hurting at DB going into this game, I'd say their reserves aren't sounding like their up to handling post-season talent.

It sounded like their D-line and LBs did okay playing the run, I have to wonder if they relied on a weak passing offense and game planned for a strong running game...

Clearly Watson looked very good. I'm hoping he can fill the void that could be left by our thin WR corp.

Caldwell looks awful. That pass in the red zone early on hit him directly in the hands once again. I found it quite interesting that he was still in there late in the game. He certainly needed the work.

I may be alone here but I really think Branch could be the difference between a playoff team and a SB team. Even Troy Brown and Brady seemed to have communication issues tonight and I think this board is completely playing down the importance of how well Brady and Branch know one another. You just can't replace that with a rookie or some veteran they bring in 1 week before the regular season. I really think folks are selling his value short but I hope that I'm wrong if he gets away and plays elsewhere this year.

NOVA Pats Fan said:
I may be alone here but I really think Branch could be the difference between a playoff team and a SB team. Even Troy Brown and Brady seemed to have communication issues tonight and I think this board is completely playing down the importance of how well Brady and Branch know one another. You just can't replace that with a rookie or some veteran they bring in 1 week before the regular season. I really think folks are selling his value short but I hope that I'm wrong if he gets away and plays elsewhere this year.

Before it was Brady to Branch, it was Brady to Brown. They have been playing together a long time and for a while Brown was Brady's go to reciever. Communication is not a problem between the two of them. The mix-ups are natural preseasoon kinks that will be worked out. Though there is no doubt that the offense is better with Deion than without him. However, like the team, football goes on and I am not going to cry over this a-hole.

Don't feel like your alone. With Branch this team will destroy the NFL this year. It will be an unstoppable whirlwind. Without Branch, it will fall just short of paradise. That's the sad reality. But I still believe Branch will get signed.

PonyExpress said:
Don't feel like your alone. With Branch this team will destroy the NFL this year. It will be an unstoppable whirlwind. Without Branch, it will fall just short of paradise. That's the sad reality. But I still believe Branch will get signed.

I agree completely, this team looks like an offensive juggernaut, however still believe we will see Deion Branch suited up for the first game.

Do we need Deion........YES.

Will we win a Superbowl without him...........YES.

SoonerPatriot said:
Caldwell is officially a stiff. There's no debate anymore.

As much as I want to.Im beginning to feel the same.This guy has had THE PERFECT opportunity to give Tom a reliable target.Though he hasnt done anything with it.Grrr..WATSON BABY!! TOP three TE in the league this year.

We need another sure handed receiver, that doesn't necessarily mean we need Deion. Deion will make the offense better but if we don't have him we don't and I think they'll be able to pick up someone else

McCairens?
Patten?
Rogers?

Koren Robinson is available (just kidding)

Hoodie said:
We need another sure handed receiver, that doesn't necessarily mean we need Deion. Deion will make the offense better but if we don't have him we don't and I think they'll be able to pick up someone else

McCairens?
Patten?
Rogers?

Koren Robinson is available (just kidding)
I think the pats should try to swing a trade to get patten if he doesn't get released. offer a 5th rounder or lower. they're shure to have extra comp picks.

MrBigglesWorth said:
I think the pats should try to swing a trade to get patten if he doesn't get released. offer a 5th rounder or lower. they're shure to have extra comp picks.
I'm afraid that ship has sailed. When did it sail? The first offensive series of SB 39, when Patten decided he really didn't want to catch that deep pass over the middle and went down, afraid of footsteps. That was all we needed to see about Patten. He doesn't have the heart to play for this team any more. Sad but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Washington TV commentators referred to injuries on the Skins D-line that were weakening the unit. Those poor guys had to look so hard to find a silver lining to talk to the Washington fans about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes