Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wow, there IS a war on Christmas

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Dec 13, 2011.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

North Korea: Christmas Tree Form Of Psychological Warfare

Truth is stranger than Fox.

PFnV

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

lock it down, 13!

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Seeing that this is the Christmas season...not a bad idea. but prolly the right thing to do would be to combine this thread with the other "war on Christmas" thread.

This subject doesn't deserve more than one thread, that's for sure.

4. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

well, the thread's actually about North Korea and South Korea, not Bill O'Reilly or some other Fox moron whining about somebody daring to wish another person "Happy Holidays," so I don't think combining them would be a good idea :)

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Or, the thread is actually about some morons who's intollerance for, um Christmas, is being exposed for what it is. I also don't think combining them is a good idea. The more exposed the merrier. ;)

6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

You're talking about North Korea, I take it?

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Sure. If that matters.

8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

But of course it does.

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

right - the morons running North Korea, and their intolerance for South Koreans celebrating Christmas.

Unlike O'Reilly and the other morons at Fox who think that being wished Happy Holidays is intolerance.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

How about the morons running around, who think it's insulting to say Merry Christmas on, well, Christmas? Those morons are ok I guess. Maybe those morons can tell me what a holiday tree is exactly. Do those get put out on the 4th of July, St. Patricks day, or both? :confused2:

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Who, exactly, thinks it's insulting to say Merry Christmas on, well, Christmas?

Guess all you want, but what I've stated previously here -- including to you, probably -- is that I think anybody who is insulted by a sincere holiday greeting is probably a pretty miserable person.

Ask Donald Carcieri. Funny how fox didn't care about his holiday tree references, huh?

12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

Or morons who think they have a right to be offended by a sincere "Happy Holidays" on, well, the holidays.

Say "Merry Christmas" on, well, Christmas all you want :)

The rest of the holiday season it's no more Christmas than it is Diwali. Hell, say "Merry Christmas" then too. I don't give a damn. Walk into a bloody hindu shrine and shout "Merry Christmas" until the guys with the butterfly nets come.

Just don't get offended if I say "happy holidays"

WWJD?

Spin the dreidel.

PFnV

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Looks like you & chico have been doing your own version of "Up all night", so I'm responding to both of you.

I have no issue with somone saying Happy Holidays (as long as they do with capital letters). I doubt RW has any issue with either.

What I do have an issue with (and prolly RW and others) is when retailers direct their workers NOT to say Merry Christmas. After all, the vast majority of $$ spent during the Christmas/holiday season is done by people celebrating Christmas. (yes, I can get the facts).

I think it's horrible when rules are made with the minority in mind and not the majority. In the case of retailers, they are catering to the group that is not putting the most $$ in their pockets.

And then we have school systems who single-handedly try to change the landscape of American culture by changing the name of the Christmas holiday and the tree used to represent the holiday.

Will I die as a result of these changes? Has it altered my life and caused me much pain? Nope and fuggn...nope.

Rules shouldn't be made with the minority in mind...just one man's opinion.
    And liberals shouldn't be allowed to change the rules....:D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Does anyone say "Happy Easter" three weeks early? Anyone say "Happy Fourth of July on June 28th? Ever hear "Happy Valentines Day" on February 10th?

The whole "Merry Christmas" trend has been expanded to begin on Thanksgiving for marketing. The unholy heretics on Madison Ave. have hijacked the holiday for the One True God for purposes of financial gain, and we've all been suckered in.

Now comes the false outrage from the O'Rielly-ites about some War on Christmas and it's not bad enough it's going on in America. We have to expand it into a world-wide, thermo-nuclear conflagration that threatens not only the down-trodden "Christians" of America, but the entire WORLD!
    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

SAVE CHRISTMAS and the CHRISTIANS!
    WE'RE HEADED FOR DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas HERETICS!

15. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Wista - Let me first say that I agree with the premise of this post almost to a T. But this post, compared to posts from PR and RW for example show from my seat that this "War on Christmas" has 2 fronts if you will.

Firstly, I for one would not be offended by anyone extending a "Happy Holidays" and or "Merry Christmas" to me. After all there are multiple holidays being celebrated at this time of year, so if someone chooses the catch all phrase, cool, if they take a stab and offer what they celebrate and or what they assume I do, thats cool too. People getting offended by these two terms need to find a hobby and expend their miserable-ness in other ways. Life is far too short to be offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays".

Now having said that. There are two clear situations here.

1. The situation you used as an example of the "War on Christmas"- taking the view of the hijacking of Xmas for marketing purposes and extending it a full month prior to the date. Christmas is a day, not a month. Being against the marketing made "Christmas starting on Black Friday" aspect of it (which you hit on) doesn't reflect a war on Christmas. ie you can "war" against the hijacking of a holiday for material gain as it currently exists.

2. The other side of the topic hits more at what RW and PR (and others Im sure) have mentioned. This idea that merely mentioning Christmas (in the sense of a tree) is somehow offensive to non Christians, thus a Christmas Tree (which is a symbol that predates Christianity itself- goes back to a Pagan celebration) has to be called something other than what it is. It isnt a Holiday Tree, it is a Christmas Tree (and this is coming from someone who looks forward to the day that organized religion goes the way of the Dodo bird).

Do I personally think there is a "War on Christmas"? No I do not. However, there has clearly been a constant situation where the Political Correctness of this country has gone off the reservation. I mean we have situations in this country where will call a Christmas Tree (which it is) a Holiday Tree to avoid offending people. I mean that is similar to me being offended by my Jewish friends calling my 8 stemmed candle holder a Menorah. That is absurd.

Do Jewish people have a tree they put up at Chanukah?
    Do African-Americans put up a tree during Kwanzaa?

As far as I know neither do, as both of those holidays have a type of candle as the symbol of those holidays, leaving the only holiday with a tree as Christmas, thus...its a Christmas Tree (until the day after Christmas, and then it is just a Pine tree :) )

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Who gives a sh!t, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

iF YOU DON'T LIKE CHRISTMAS GO ON A CRUISE GET DRUNK AND HAVE SEX, DON'T LOOK AT CHRISTMAS LIGHTS OR TREES.

WHEN IT'S MATING TIME IN THE FOREST FOR THE OTTERS AND THE BEAVERS THE ARRAPAHO INDIANS CELEBRATE AND HAVE A FEAST "I DON'T GIVE A SH!T WHAT THEY DO, GOOD LUCK TO THEM"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS
    GOD WILLING

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas
    And When Your Walking Down The Street
    Tip Your Hat And Say "F-ck You"
    To Everyone You Meet

Merry CHRISTmas
    Jesus Saves

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Does anyone say happy holidays on Thanksgiving? I didn't think so.

Does anyone call it holiday dinner on Thanksgiving? Hmmm...nope.

How about at the stroke of midnight, raise your hand if you look to the person next to you and say "3, 2, 1, happy holidays!" I'm guessing that's a big negative right there.

I'm sure everyone hopes the weather's good on the day after the 3rd of July, so we can have a holiday BBQ, and shoot off those holiday fireworks. :confused2:

Ah, but when it comes to a certain holiday where a tree is a significant symbol, and that 5 letter "C" word some people don't like is part of the name, it's impolite to actually say it. I think most of us who actually celebrate the day, or for whom the day holds meaning, know why that's the case.

So, what's a holiday tree anyway? :rolleyes:

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Nice post.

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

That's an easy one -- don't shop there, right?

why not keep both in mind?

This is where I sort of agree with you, though I come back to "keep both in mind." Schools shouldn't pretend Christmas doesn't exist. But they shouldn't ignore other religions, cultures and holidays, either.

This stuff isn't rocket science.

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I agree with most of this, Drewski, but who is offended by the term "Christmas tree"?

The latest made up controversy about Christmas trees came from fox complaining about RI's governor -- a Dem, of course. They ignored the fact that his predecessor -- a Republican -- also called it a holiday tree.

Personally, I'd never call it a holiday tree and think the term is silly. But who was upset by the term "Christmas tree"?