PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow the Skins may be dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Last year they had one threat --Moss. Now if Brunell plays like last year Moss, ARE, and Lloyd are a great WR corps. Is Patten going to stay? That should open Portis up, not to mention two solid TD catching TE in Cooley and Christian.

of course the big if there is "if brunell". No doubt he has more weapons. Let's see if he can make use of them. His performance in the playoffs last year was horrible.

they'll screw it up - like always

JoeSixPat said:
they'll screw it up - like always
I wouldn't count on that, they have a pretty good coach now. It could all come together for them although they'll probably have to transition QBs after a year which could be an issue.

Their QB situation is a house of cards.

Their HC has seriously papered over his health issues.

Their best LB just jumpd to their division rival Giants.

Their star Safety is one more altercation away from spending the next decade in a penitentiary.

........and they just sprinted after Christian Fauria. Now don't get me wrong, I love the guy....all 35 years old of him, who caught 8 passes last year and is not much of a blocker - but a "good hands guy" - he's great these days as an onside kick catcher. If THAT is what Danny Snyder is rushing to sign in the first few days of FA, along with Antwan Randle Fell, then his "lucky year" is ovah.

shmessy said:

Their star Safety is one more altercation away from spending the next decade in a penitentiary.

........and they just sprinted after Christian Fauria. Now don't get me wrong, I love the guy....all 35 years old of him, who caught 8 passes last year and is not much of a blocker - but a "good hands guy" - he's great these days as an onside kick catcher. If THAT is what Danny Snyder is rushing to sign in the first few days of FA, along with Antwan Randle Fell, then his "lucky year" is ovah.

Spot on! This is the 6th consecutive season the Danny Boy and the Redskins have made a "splash" in free agency. Granted, last year was the best season Washington had in all that time, the Skins have always had the same M.O. - go after the big name players. The problem with Snyder is he looks at the last game of the year and asks himself, why did we lose that game? Then he spends his cash madly based on that one loss. In this case, it was the wide receiver. Of course, he has completely overlooked Brunell's age and predictability, and never thinks of depth (and Shmessy makes other good points).

Splash? Always. Will they be competitive? Maybe. Maybe not.

Deion Sanders, Jeff George, Dana Stubblefield, Mark Carrier, Bruce Smith, Marvin Lewis, Marty Schottenheimer, Lavernues Coles, Steve Spurrier, Brad Johnson.....just a few names that grabbed a big paycheck from Snyder in the past 6 years.

shmessy said:

Very true, they've put a lot of faith into Jason Campbell

shmessy said:

This is pure rumor, he's old but there's no evidence that he's sick. Anyway, they've got a great staff (and they've paid for it). I think they'd probably be okay even if Gibbs had to step down or just be GM (which is sort of what he's doing anyway now that Saunders is there).

shmessy said:

Marcus Washington

shmessy said:

This is the big one that could hurt them.

No one has won more consecutive March titles than the Redskins.

I think we have to give up on the idea that the Redskins are a joke now. They have a great coaching staff now and they are a legit team. And Arrington was not their best LB last year, he didnt even start for most of the season. They will be very good next year.

And they just signed Archuleta. Safety is pretty well covered.

With a horde of new fans in a spanking new stadium,

and now Edge,

if they can beg, borrow, or steal an O-line, even the lowly Cardinals might arise!

R_T26 said:
I think we have to give up on the idea that the Redskins are a joke now. They have a great coaching staff now and they are a legit team. And Arrington was not their best LB last year, he didnt even start for most of the season. They will be very good next year.

It's possible, but Archuletta and Randle-El don't necessarily put them over the top. Archuletta struggled the past two seasons and Randle-El is a number 2 receiver - at best. Every year the Redskins make an immediate splash when free agency begins, and every year the fans and media (again) crown them the champs of the offseason. Let's just wait and see this time.

flutie2phelan said:
With a horde of new fans in a spanking new stadium,

and now Edge,

if they can beg, borrow, or steal an O-line, even the lowly Cardinals might arise!

Why? James doesn't need a great Oline and passing game to put up numbers.

HeeHee :bricks:

R_T26 said:

Being a bit disingenuous with the "Arrington didn't start most of the season" rationale?

I live in MD and everybody and his Uncle down here know full well that was organizational retribution for the contract lawsuit.

When he came in 2/3's of the way into the season, he was the monster he's always been. I wish we could've beaten the Giants to him.

You are right about the coaches around Gibbs, they are stellar.

Last edited:
oldrover said:
And they just signed Archuleta. Safety is pretty well covered.

There is no question Washington could be about to go 11-5.

dhamz said:
No one has won more consecutive March titles than the Redskins.
..................:D

Good thread, and I'm particularly interested in whether the 'skins can pull this off with Fauria, ARE, and some of the other pickups they've signed or are about to sign. Fauria is perfect for their offense.

As a Pats fan who has lived in No. VA for the past too many years, I'm fascinated by the yearly trials of the skins. When I first moved here, it was early in Gibbs' first tour of duty, and I developed a lot of respect for the guy. With the current team, he's put together one of the finest coaching staffs in the league and has not hesitated to bring in people whose strenghts match his weaknesses. No ego with this guy. Greg Williams is anyone's dream DC outside of New England. Gibbs is the first coach that has Snyder's full respect and attention. That's saying a lot. As for his health, he has Adult Onset Diabetes, and it's under control. However, I believe Williams is ready to step in to the HC job at any time.

Arrington needed to go. In another defense, he might be effective, but not with Washington and certainly not with New England. Williams demands what Belichick demands, an outstanding work ethic and a willingness to subjugate the spotlight for getting the job done. Lavar wanted to be the MAN. He'll love NY if that's where he's going. The question is will NY love Lavar after his first season with his new team?

ClevTrev said:
Williams demands what Belichick demands, an outstanding work ethic and a willingness to subjugate the spotlight for getting the job done. Lavar wanted to be the MAN. He'll love NY if that's where he's going. The question is will NY love Lavar after his first season with his new team?

I agree that Williams is very good at defensive coordinator. As a head coach in Buffalo, he was a deer in the headlights.

Murphys95 said:
I agree that Williams is very good at defensive coordinator. As a head coach in Buffalo, he was a deer in the headlights.

Agreed, along with the GM and the rest of the Bills management team. If you don't have a quality organization surrounding you, it's tough to be a good coach for long. But then, some have been critical of BB in his first tour of duty with the Brownies.

Just signed Andre Carter. The only signing I like of theirs is Randle-El. They'll be in cap hell soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing