PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow, the officials are lauding a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Meriweather lauded by NFL official for clean play vs. Chargers - Extra Points - Boston.com

``Last week, we were appropriately calling him out and chastising him,'' Anderson said of Meriweather. ``[Sunday] in the Patriots' game at San Diego, Meriweather made two very tenacious, effective and legal hits in similar situations. But you could see it, he lowered the target area, blasted the opponent with his shoulder. He adapted, showing it can be done. It is appropriate to praise him for the tough play.''

When apprised of Anderson's remarks, Bill Belichick seemed a bit taken aback.

Asked if he ever remembered a league official coming out and praising one of his players, Belichick said, somewhat facetiously, ``Nah, it's got to be a first for me.

``The officials now are evaluating the players and their performance, I mean, that's great,'' Belichick deadpanned. ``I can't say how much that means to me, really.''

Meh, one uncontrollable factor like the receiver making a sudden move or another defender altering the receiver's position and it's a helmet collision that he's chastised for again.

Meriweather lauded by NFL official for clean play vs. Chargers - Extra Points - Boston.com

``Last week, we were appropriately calling him out and chastising him,'' Anderson said of Meriweather. ``[Sunday] in the Patriots' game at San Diego, Meriweather made two very tenacious, effective and legal hits in similar situations. But you could see it, he lowered the target area, blasted the opponent with his shoulder. He adapted, showing it can be done. It is appropriate to praise him for the tough play.''

When apprised of Anderson's remarks, Bill Belichick seemed a bit taken aback.

Asked if he ever remembered a league official coming out and praising one of his players, Belichick said, somewhat facetiously, ``Nah, it's got to be a first for me.

``The officials now are evaluating the players and their performance, I mean, that's great,'' Belichick deadpanned. ``I can't say how much that means to me, really.''

Classic BB. :)

Thank You BB because that was the funniest thing I have heard all day. :D

Meh, one uncontrollable factor like the receiver making a sudden move or another defender altering the receiver's position and it's a helmet collision that he's chastised for again.

Yup and that is what is frustrating about the rule.

Ha ha on BB. He's touched by the officials words.

Seriously, though i noticed those good, clean hits and thought to myself, "he watched the video."

Also, as awkward as this seems, I'm fine with it. Good hard hits without the head hunting, I'm all for it. No need for paralyzed players to prove somebody's "tough."

The Globe article makes it sound like Anderson mentioned Meriweather and only Meriweather. That's not true; he had similar words for James Harrison.

Hits arbiter Anderson: Players responded well, played clean - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

"We like to think we're off to a good start in terms of the new emphasis and the recognition that we are going to play aggressively but well within the rules," Anderson said. "It's a good start."

"Brandon Meriweather, specifically, last week we were appropriately calling him out and chastising him," he added. " Yesterday in the Patriots' game at San Diego, Meriweather made two very tenacious, effective and legal hits in similar situations. But you could see it, he lowered the target area, blasted the opponent with his shoulder. He adapted, showing it can be done. It is appropriate to praise him for the tough play."

Anderson also mentioned Harrison, who skipped one day of practice last week and said he contemplated retirement rather than change how he plays. But Harrison played cleanly in a win at Miami, particularly on a play in which a Dolphins running back was already being hit by another Steeler.

"There certainly was one play, on a hit on a running back, that James Harrison may have taken a shot at the running back going down, and Harrison let up," Anderson said. "I think he acknowledged he let up when had a chance to put his head and helmet in there. I applaud James for restraining himself."

If anything it sounds like Anderson is giving himself and the NFL a pat on the back ('see, I told you so; it can be done') as much or more than he is complimenting Meriweather and Harrison.

The NFL is working hard trying to communicate clearly about the new rules.

I salute them for the intent and didn't see anything too annoying in the execution.

Still, BB's comeback WAS funny.:D

Meanwhile, Bianca Wilfork is now a volunteer assistant coach?? :D

Meanwhile, Bianca Wilfork is now a volunteer assistant coach?? :D

Nah, but she is an expert in defending players that have been fined by the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes