PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow- the NFL really is considering eliminating the extra point

1 point for a run ... 2 points for a pass or vice versa.

3 points for a successful fade over Richard Sherman.

Idiocy.

Nothing wrong with tradition. Nothing wrong with the NFL extra point nor has there been for the past 80 years. More Vince McGoodell boolshyt.

Idiocy.

Nothing wrong with tradition. Nothing wrong with the NFL extra point nor has there been for the past 80 years. More Vince McGoodell boolshyt.

Are you joking :confused4:

JK

You do understand that this is what we do currently. 6 or 8 if you choose to run or pass, and 7 if you take the automatic kick.

All that is being suggested is the kick be truly automatic. The team will have the same option to go for two as they do now.

so 6 7 or 8 points in this case...stupid

Football...teams drives..team scores..team gets six points...team kicks extra point...everyone high fives...someone runs for the beers...on to the next drive. Good enough for grand dad...good enough for dad...good enough for me...good enough for my kids...NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE ADHD ****HEAD GENERATION?

I don't see any reason to get rid of it. 06 Bengals missed the playoffs because a missed extra point.

You do understand that this is what we do currently. 6 or 8 if you choose to run or pass, and 7 if you take the automatic kick.

All that is being suggested is the kick be truly automatic. The team will have the same option to go for two as they do now.

well then, the hell with it...at ball three just automatically walk the batter...Rondo at the line with the game in hand, give him the automatic points...jeezus krist you have to be a real bored mf'er to want anything like this implemented. It's THE GAME. Sure the make rate is in the high 90's but there is ALWAYS that chance, at a crucial point, that a miss or block happens. I WANT that choice. I don't want it legislated away like every other gd'ed part of this game seems to be.

I don't see any reason to get rid of it. 06 Bengals missed the playoffs because a missed extra point.

Tony Romo says hi.

Here are Gwedd's ideas for those who really, really, really need to have rule changes.

1.) Touchdown is worth 7 points. The team gets a free play to try for a 2-point conversion.

2.) Kickoffs: Change the touchback rule. A touchback ONLY occurs if the ball actually goes out the back of the endzone. If not, the runner MUST run the ball out. However, if the runner chooses to take a knee within the endzone, the ball is moved forward to the 10-yard line, not the 20.

3.) Kickoffs: If, during the kick, the ball travels between the uprights on the receiving team's side of the field, then the kicking team is automatically awarded 1-point. Everything else remains the same.

4.) Kickoffs: Alternately, at the discretion of the kicking team, any kickoff may be eliminated and the ball given to the other team and placed upon their 20 yard line. Choosing NOT to kickoff must be done immediately after scoring by informing the referee. (Note: This might be a handy thing if your opponent has a very dangerous return man and your kicker is kicking under less than ideal conditions, etc. )

5.) Teams are allowed to maintain 80 men on their roster. 10 may be assigned to the practice squad. 60 may be dressed for any one game.

6.) Injured Reserve: Any player may be reactivated from the IR list after a minimum of 6 weeks during the regular season, and at any time afterward, if the player's team makes it to the post-season. All players on Injured Reserve count towards the full 80-man roster.

7.) All players on offense are considered to be an eligible receiver at all times.

Anyway, as long as folks are discussing potential rule(s) changes, those are mine :D

speaking of which...what a tremendous day yesterday!!!! All those kickoffs going out of the end zone on EVERY kickoff. PROGRESS!!!! EXCITING!!!! now I know why when I was a little kid the kickoff return was one of the exciting things that hooked me as a lifelong fan..because I'm STUPID!!! I don't need that kind of lousy entertainment. I need the guy kicking the ball out of the end zone and watching 22 players go through the motions for no reason. IMPROVEMENT!!! YOU'RE A STUPID DINOSAUR IF YOU DON"T LOVE THIS!!!

That sucks, the Manning/Polian rules suck, the ridiculous PI rule changes suck and all this moronic Goodelian tinkering trying to fix what ain't broke SUCKS. May as well obliterate the ******' extra point to make you simps happy too

If that's what he wants to do then why not just force teams to always go for 2....

I'd hate that. There wouldn't be nearly as many tied games late in the 4th and OT games. Don't know why people would want that....game is fine as it is.

speaking of which...what a tremendous day yesterday!!!! All those kickoffs going out of the end zone on EVERY kickoff. PROGRESS!!!! EXCITING!!!! now I know why when I was a little kid the kickoff return was one of the exciting things that hooked me as a lifelong fan..because I'm STUPID!!! I don't need that kind of lousy entertainment. I need the guy kicking the ball out of the end zone and watching 22 players go through the motions for no reason. IMPROVEMENT!!! YOU'RE A STUPID DINOSAUR IF YOU DON"T LOVE THIS!!!

That sucks, the Manning/Polian rules suck, the ridiculous PI rule changes suck and all this moronic Goodelian tinkering trying to fix what ain't broke SUCKS. May as well obliterate the ******' extra point to make you simps happy too

Gotta love how in the first few years of the Manning/Polian rule that it applied to every team except the colts.

Goodell is even getting more and more unpopular over time as he wants to get rid of stuff that people love. He is ruining the NFL big time!

I hate this with a passion. im so sick and tired of the non stop change this change that and on and on it goes bull****. they had it perfect and now they are determined to ruin the game inch by inch. great for the sports radio jerks.

I kind of like seeing the extra point if only to laugh my ass off at the guy that miraculously misses it. That's the only fun I get out of watching it.

It is also a good time to get up and get a beer. Especially when some fool misses it and I laugh all the way to my fridge.

Also, if you get rid of it then you can't run fakes on extra points to get 2. Just a dumb idea all around.

Love this. The extra point is completely useless.

I've seen a suggestion to have the PAT attempted on the same horizontal plane as where the TD was scored and that would increase the difficulty. Like how rugby does it.

I'd like to think that's a good idea except I think that changes the game in a lot bigger way than you'd think. That would make an offense less inclined to throw to a corner of the end zone to score. Defenses can just send bodies to the middle of the end zone - or on a run defense, load up the middle and "concede" anything to the outside where the PAT might be a lot more difficult....

I don't think any team would restrict their options going for 6 because of a slightly harder try at the additional 1.

well then, the hell with it...at ball three just automatically walk the batter...Rondo at the line with the game in hand, give him the automatic points...jeezus krist you have to be a real bored mf'er to want anything like this implemented. It's THE GAME. Sure the make rate is in the high 90's but there is ALWAYS that chance, at a crucial point, that a miss or block happens. I WANT that choice. I don't want it legislated away like every other gd'ed part of this game seems to be.

None of the things you listed were happening at a 99.5% rate. After ball 3, there's still a VERY good chance of a hit, ko, hit by pitch, wild pitch for a stolen base, on and on and on. Rondo of all players is something like a 70% FT shooter. Many players are worse than that. I get that your philosophy is "everything Goodell is bad", but your comparisons are asinine. Also, BB is from the old generations, and HE thinks something needs to be done, so let's stop blaming this on the "kids these days" nonsense.

I actually think this is a good idea. the extra point is useless and a waste of time dragging the game out.

Why are they trying to reinvent the wheel?? Huge mistake to remove the extra point. Huge!! Completely messing with the strategy of the game. Question is why do it?? That extra point forces teams to make choices vis-a-vis their strategy, i.e. going for TD's vs FG's and extra points vs 2 pt coversions based on the score. A 13 to 10 score is played differently from a 14 to 10 score.
Why are they constantly messing with a great great game???

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back