PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow.... just wow (Wilbon piece on Pats' dominance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington-area "pulse" report... It's not just Wilbon.

In my little cube row we have 1 other Pats fan (originally from MA like me,) a Giants fan, a Cowboys fan, and about a dozen Redskins fans. Oh, we all jabbed at each other mercilessly in the offseason. Everybody had "well, can't be too sure" ideas about Moss joining the Pats. Everyone was waiting for the Chargers to take advantage of our demoralized state... then it became clear. And clearer the next week...

Now I can dog the Giants fan, the Skins fans, even the Cowboys fans, and they just can't bring themselves to trash the Pats anymore. Just to not be a ****, I'll say things like "eh you guys need some cameras" or something. But they're cowed and awed by the Pats thus far. I think they "get" that this team will most likely beat them this year. It's almost like they think Adalius will hear them, break into their homes, and personally sack them while they're trying to make their eggs.

Okay, that's the report from the Hinterlands.

PFnV

I really like Wilbon's stuff. Consistently. He writes great stuff about the NCAA tournament, for example. I often like his angle. And even if you disagree with him, he's a free thinker -- rarely jumping on one side or the other of an issue where the rest of the media is piling on or hyping a story.

He's honest about the places where his rooting interests or friendships don't allow him to be disinterested. When Illinois was making a run to the final four, he wrote as a fan, without disguising his interest. He's not a hack like Doyell who just smears everyone to prove he has no agenda. And he clearly spends a lot of time trying to figure out how he truly feels about an issue without letting himself be influenced by how others report it. PTI is a bit about clowning around and tends to take away from the fact that he's a good writer.

My favorite quote from the article, which probably showed more respect than a lot of mindless yammering about a 16-0 season...

The Bengals' prideful and professional right tackle, Willie Anderson, said of the Patriots, "They're grown men who take football seriously."

nice article by wilbon of all people....my favorite quote which was origanlly pointed out

"They'll cheat if possible, or beat your brains out strictly by the rules; it hardly matters. The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed."

I think the browns are up next for the crushing

My favorite quote from the article, which probably showed more respect than a lot of mindless yammering about a 16-0 season...

The Bengals' prideful and professional right tackle, Willie Anderson, said of the Patriots, "They're grown men who take football seriously."

Warning: Language Police

Anderson's quote was great; Wilbon's description less so. "Prideful" is not a synonym for proud -- it means haughty, arrogant and generally full of yourself, the kind of pride that cometh before a fall. (The secondary meaning of "exultant, joyful over success" doesn't fit any better.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down