PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow....are we lucky, and spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Matt Cassel is better than 95% of the backup QB's out there. Chris Weinke has been in the NFL for 5 or 6 years, and he's pitiful. Joey Harrington isn't much better. Cassel is in his 2nd year, and he's already better than most backups.

scott99 said:
Matt Cassel is better than 95% of the backup QB's out there. Chris Weinke has been in the NFL for 5 or 6 years, and he's pitiful. Joey Harrington isn't much better. Cassel is in his 2nd year, and he's already better than most backups.

He gets happy feet pretty easily... but if we get that under control, I don't see why he can't be groomed to succeed Brady one day long long time from now... I jokingly called him "our Steve Young" once. Jokingly.

PFnV

scott99 said:

If we don't have to find out during meaningful games about how good Cassel is or isn't, then we will be lucky and spoiled.

Did Cassel ever start a game for USC? I think I heard that he hasn't played a full game since high school. Amazing.

Tunescribe said:
Did Cassel ever start a game for USC? I think I heard that he hasn't played a full game since high school. Amazing.
33 passes in games his whole time at USC.

I find it funny when people discuss our "lack of depth" at QB, when we spent 3 years with Rohan Davey as our primary backup. Cassell is probably a middle of the pack backup QB, much better than Harrington, Tuisassopo, Rattay, Weinke, and probably Boller, Maddox, etc.

Honestly, if Brady went down for, say, 2-4 weeks, I'd feel ok. Not good, but ok.

It's amazing, watching these games, how much quarterbacking is simply about poise. The QBs are all big, strong, with decent arms, and probably study as hard as they can. But most get so flustered and frightened in the pock they lose their freaking minds, and couldn't even hit the receiver underhanded. Hopefully Cassell remembers he's not Michael Vick one of these games and stops trying to run. It's the only thing about him that drives me batty.

PatsFanInVa said:
He gets happy feet pretty easily... but if we get that under control, I don't see why he can't be groomed to succeed Brady one day long long time from now... I jokingly called him "our Steve Young" once. Jokingly.

PFnV
ditto

while we're comparing him to HoFers...I just don't see the Brady comparisons in terms of playing style. Seems more in the mold of #7 to me. Both he and John have howitzer arms and tend to scramble around after a couple reads...and both seem to enjoy playing from behind a bit too much ;)

Where he's similar to Brady, although not the twin the media makes him out to be, is in the toughness and competitiveness areas.

I've been high on him as our backup for a year -- would've been better off with him than Flutie:bricks:...and I STILL hear pundits who would rather have Fiedler or Collins leading the team over Cassel this season.

On the flipside, some of us are going overboard on him (i.e. Sterling Sharpe). Tom is inarguably one of the best pure passers and readers of defense who has ever played the game and he is STILL building his legacy.

We know TB, TB is a friend of ours, and Matt, you're no TB.

But he'll be starting somewhere in the league BEFORE Twelve retires....along with another Matt...Schaub.

In the Bledsoe days we used to feel sorry for whoever had to replace Drew. And for at least half a season, Tom definitely felt the weight of that shadow. Just imagine what the next guy faces.

Whoever the QBs are who replace Twelve, they'll face the same problem that all those Denver/Miami/SanFrancisco QBs are now facing. It's why Shanny was so shockingly desperate to grab Cutler...he's less fragile than Jake, more willing to blaze his own trail...Matt seems to be that kind of guy...but the fact that there are so many crappy QBs in this league -- or is it just that today's defenses are THAT sophisticated -- is the reason why he'll probably be starting sooner rather than later...somewhere else.

Playing for a good team has help matt a tonne in the learning part.I see him picked as a starter for some team when his contract runs out out or if you see montana he missed a few seasons in his career and brady is getting up their in age.
I do not wish him Tb bad but if he goes down for a few games or hurts himself i feel comfortable with matt playing.Which is what BB is grooming him for.

I see brady till 2010 as a solid qb then he is going to fade ... a bit but maybe he will goto the colts and get them a SB ring atlast now that will be a hoot to even think about.

Last edited:
I feel lots better having Cassel as the #2 than having Rohan or the aged Flutie last year. This is not a slam at Flutie.

I think that we have a reserve of guarantees and if Brady injured itself I think that not it so badly. But Brady, please You do not injure yourself! :D :D

PatsFanInVa said:

PFnV

Remember the guy pretty much didnt played in college. He's already very good without having that experience. He is going to be a really good QB and maybe, with a little more experience playing behind Brady, he could be as good as a starter on another team very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
maxhagen said:
Remember the guy pretty much didnt played in college. He's already very good without having that experience. He is going to be a really good QB and maybe, with a little more experience playing behind Brady, he could be as good as a starter on another team very soon.

It can be better than many other QBs Holders of others equipments. We are lucky to have it in our establishment.

Last edited:
maxhagen said:

IMO, one of the most encouraging things about Cassel is how he always seems to improve the longer he's in the game. He may look like Mr. Happy Feet during his first series, but once he gets into the rhythm of actually being the quarterback of a football team he looks very good indeed. Think about it...this is a guy who has never, ever had a week of preparation leading into a game where he knew he'd be starting.

I was a charter member of the Matt Cassel irrational exuberance club starting in last year's TC, but the Arizona game really pushed me over the top. It wasn't just Cassel's solid performance--it was watching John Navarre play for the Cardinals. What a wakeup call...that is what a late-drafted young backup QB looks like. And Navarre had a lot more college experience and has been in the league a year longer. AND he's beating out Rohan Davey. ;) I'm liking that Cassel fella better and better.

Cassel is the next Matt Hasselbeck. Drafted to be a backup, groomed, and eventually traded for a strong draft pick. I think if they could get a second rounder for Cassel someday, it would be absolute highway robbery.

stinkypete said:
Cassell is probably a middle of the pack backup QB, much better ...... and probably Boller

Can you believe that the Ravens used a number 1 and a number 2 to get Boller. I am LMAO down here in Maryland.....

I still think the BB will add Vinny to the team soon. He gives that veteran presence on the side line adn can serve as a tutor to Cassel during the year.

I'll be very surprised if they stay with Bramlet as the 3rd QB. But, I could be wrong.

I would love to see Matt go against Alex Smith, Aaron Brooks, Philip Rivers, Jp Lossman/the other bills guy, all the Jets QB in a real game. I just have a feeling he might do better than all of them except Rivers.

Let me start by saying I LOVE Matt and think he is going to be an incredible backup.

But what I do miss with the 2 QB system and similarly not having Flutie or Jim Miller or whomever on the team, is the lack of Scout team ability. Each time we had a big win, when BB would give a speech in the locker room afterwards he would IMMEDIATELY applaud Flute/Miller for running the scout team and getting his team prepared. It will be difficult for Cassel who is still young and inexperienced to be able to do such acts on top of preparing as our backup QB.

stinkypete said:
I find it funny when people discuss our "lack of depth" at QB, when we spent 3 years with Rohan Davey as our primary backup. Cassell is probably a middle of the pack backup QB, much better than Harrington, Tuisassopo, Rattay, Weinke, and probably Boller, Maddox, etc.

Honestly, if Brady went down for, say, 2-4 weeks, I'd feel ok. Not good, but ok.

I love how people make claims that aren't true. Davey was only the primary back-up for 1 season. Not 3. Sorry to disappoint you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes