Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wouldn't it be great if Bethel showed up to play?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by oldrover, May 1, 2006.

1. oldrover

oldrover Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Branch, Jackson, and Johnson, plus a little Troy Brown on the side... add that to all the other weapons on offense, and we would be smokin'!!!!

...eh, a guy can dream, can't he? :rolleyes:
  2. NE39

NE39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess you don't think very much of Caldwell.
  3. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Yes, and Dan Klecko shows up as a run-stuffing inside line-backer (sorry, Box, but this is my dream) and Tully Banta-Cain as a pass-rushing monster.
  4. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Sure, if he showed up to play as a credible receiver who could learn how to run a pattern that didn't involve running as fast as he can in a straight line.

I'm hoping the Bethel Johnson I know doesn't show up to play WR.
  5. b72s

b72s Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Still Remember

The titans cold playoff game when he reversed full field after cathc to get first down....

Hoping he shows up
  6. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

im really hoping he becomes better because we spent a 2 on him..hes fast as hell..let him be a deep threat if thats what it takes but let it be on a consistent basis..i would hate to see that speed just get cut from us when he has the potential
  7. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sadly, I think the ship has sailed for Bethel. He might make the roster just based on sheer lack of bodies for the WR spot.

I think as others have noted elsewhere, the drafting of a hybrid TE/FB/HB type player could indicate that Pats will only keep 5 WRs.

For now I'd rate them:

Branch
    Caldwell
    Brown
    Jackson
    BJohnson

I hate to rate a rookie who has yet to play a down over BJ, but that's how uninspiring his play has been.

In fact, would not surprise me if Bam Childress took his roster spot this year.

It's true you can't coach speed, but apparently you can't coach Bethel Johnson either.
  8. the taildragger

the taildragger Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can't imagine they don't want to trade him. but the word is out on this guy. can't run routes. that's generally not good for receivers. scary they fell in love with him exclusively for speed. sounds like they really did their homework on Jackson though. to think we could've drafted boldin instead...tom + boldin = 100 touchdowns.
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  9. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Interestingly, both Bethel and Chad were second round picks, but Bethel was almost universally considered a reach where he was drafted, while many are declaring that Jackson was a steal in the same round. It seems the pundits were right in Johnson's case; let's hope they are right about Jackson as well.
  10. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -43

#50 Jersey

There was a guy in the Chat room going by MPRK who was saying he felt that Jackson would be Bethel Johnson Redux.

It will be interesting to see how Jackson does route running because there were knocks on Jackson regarding this. However, I think that Jackson showed at the combine and Senior bowl that those knocks weren't justified. BOR can confirm one way or the other though.
  11. hwc

hwc On the Roster

Ratings:
    +209 / 4 / -2

The big knock on Bethel was that he hadn't been productive in college -- in large part, due to a series of very serious, life-threatening abdominal problems (ruptured spleen), complications from surgery, etc. These have obviously continued as he ended up back in the hospital for more abdominal surgery last year with the Pats.

The Pats gambled that he could overcome those problems and blossom with playing time. Never happened.

Not really a good comparison to Jackson, who had an extremely productive college career. It's hard to put up more production than an 89 catch season.
  12. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, and I would win the lottery.......
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Oh gotterdamerung it. Other teams do this all the time - get increased production out of some sleepers, go through the year relatively healthy, whatever. Why not us? Just once? Or maybe three years running?

Just venting a little. The Pats wouldn't know what to do without a little imperfection, a little adversity. God love 'em.

PFnV
  14. hwc

hwc On the Roster

Ratings:
    +209 / 4 / -2

Wow. I'm not sure the Pats can complain about production from sleeper picks. Does the name Tom Brady ring a bell?
  15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Bethel's back's against the wall

... but even if everything works out well for him, he's likely #5 on the WR roster behind Branch, Jackson, Caldwell and Brown, which means he'd generally be inactive on game day

Bethel needs to remember that we still need a punt and kickoff returner - if he's going to reinvent himself he needs to start there

I'm not holding my breath - I wonder if others might be hungry enough to take that job away from him
  16. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's been my dream, too, Mike, for a couple of years.

For the life of me, i cannot get my mind around WHY it hasn't come true.
  17. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +593 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

Bethel's not going to make the roster if he hasn't improved.

The good: He was coming off a broken foot last year. I don't think he was at top speed

He was a top KR when healthy, he also played defensively on ST.

The bad: For whatever reason he has not become a reliable receiver

As time goes on, reasons don't matter, it's deliver or be cut.

If he does great on special teams and shows a positive attitude, he should stick.

If he can return punts, moreso.

If he doesn't improve as a receiver his days are numbered, though.
  18. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +277 / 18 / -2

I disagree with the assessments here. Bethel Johnson doesn't need to improve at receiver to make the team. I think he has to stay healthy and really want to play. I would take him over Childress in a second, and have a top kick returner, perhaps a punt returner and an excellent defensive Ster. This is plenty for someone labeled as the #5 receiver. We hoped for more, but Bethel is more than adequate as one of the last players on the roster.

I think I've convinced myself that we don't need a 5th receiver, that this position is essentially a Ster.

How many catches or opportunities will the #5 receiver have with
    Branch,Jackson,Caldwell,Brown
    Graham,Watson,Thomas,Mills
    Dillon, Faulk, and Maroney

all catching passes, and that doesn't count Vrabel, Hochstein and Pass?
  19. millhouseX2

millhouseX2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

agreed...

unless the pats pick up another wideout, i think bethel makes this team.....makes you wonder when all this POTENTIAL stuff fades, if it hasn't already
  20. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Flanders? Ned Flanders? Is that you? Its me! Homer! Homer Simpson. D'oh, ummm its Jon Smith.