PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you want Pioli and/or Crennel back?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you take 'em back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup, seems like they wouldn't have minded Pioli, except they gave all powers to Reid, and Pioli is a GM at this point who wants those powers, so i wouldn't be surprised that is the sole reason he left

btw, no way no how to Pioli, under any cirmunstance, and in any type of role, i like our FA and drafting streak

and a maybe to crennel, patricia is extremely new at the DC role, but i'd like to see what he can do next year before saying he needs to be replaced or anything like that, so on the Crennel topic, i'd defer to BB

As an ex Red Sox fan, I used to embrace change for the sake of change. Now as a hardcore parochial New Englander I reject change for the sake of rejection.

No on both. I think we've moved on....

I think if you look at some of the talent on the roster it is evident that he still had it as a talent evaluator I would say his big mistake from that end was taking Cassell with him but that also got derailed by Cassell getting hurt too often too quickly there. But to me what was really his undoing was one of his first decisions there which he had no part in here which was the coach he got to work with. Haley just couldnt cut it and from there it was all pretty much down hill from there.

I think it is real interesting that this was a "mutual decision" made after they found there new head coach. Too me that says that they may have actually been ready to move forward with Pioli but when they were able to land a big fish like Reid who has earned full control it was it for him. I think the back up plan to landing a big fish would have been to try and find someone else from a similar mold (Parcells/BB tree) and continue with what was started. In the end I think they are making the right choice for their Franchise as they need something like this that cant really be questioned to add some strenght back to the front office and let the players know who is control instead of skipping past Haley to talk to Pioli.

The Cassell trade and signing him to that big contract was a huge mistake that overshadowed the other good personnel moves that he also made.

Two of the best drafts of the Pats' era were done by Nick Caserio. In fact, you can argue that 2010 and 2012 were the two best drafts of the Belichick era. Plus 2011 was a decent enough draft (Solder is solid and Ridley was a steal in the third round with Vereen and Cannon having the potential to be solid picks). It looks like Caserio is rounding into a damn good talent evaluator. In fact, he has been better than Pioli in that area the last few year (and in Pioli's last few years here). I think the Pats can safely move on from Pioli.

As for RAC, I would be more willing to take him back, but I just don't see it happening unless Belichick is truly ready to move on from Patricia. No way would he cut Patricia off at the knees and add RAC while Patricia is still the DC.

I am happy with Caserio and don't know if the Pats need Pioli anymore. I do think the defense needs to get better and if RAC can do it, I am more than open to it.

What have either of them done since leaving New England that would prompt this question? :confused:

If you were in BB's shoes, and they came asking for jobs (DC for Crennel, his old job for Pioli), would you give it to them?

I'm torn on Crennel, but would say no to Pioli.

Neither, I don't call my ex girlfriends after we separate either..

Crennel defensive schemes are not the direction that BB is trying to take this defense.

Pioli was overrated and are drafts have been better with out him.

Weis, Crennel, Pioli, etc all proved one thing BB is the brains and talent. They all looked brilliant when he led the way, went out on their own and failed.

JM filled a need because O'Brien took another job, thats the only reason he came back. We don't have a need for any of these other guys right now.

I voted take RAC back but not to replace our DC. Coach Emeritus advisory position so we can scout all the KC talent that Reid will foolishly drop when he cleans house and then let him retire.

Last edited:
We already have Silent Bob. He can use the force, so unless Mark Hamill wants to give things a try, I think we're good.

Seriously, I don't see why we would want to change things around to accommodate a new mentality for someone who would only likely use us as a stepping stone onto a new HC path. I'd rather see where Matt Patricia takes us, although I think I would be amenable to a mentor type role from Crenel as long as Matt was still technically DC.

The only way RAC comes back is if Patricia is kicked upstairs to Asst HC so he can focus on the OC job - after our OC leaves, but he isn't so.... no to RAC

Pioli knows nothing about football. Bill recruited him because of his mind v the salary cap. Pioli is a quick study on what BB wanted, with a lot of help from the coaching staff he delivered what BB wanted every year, a ready list of guys to look at who fullfilled all of BB's many criteria. It's no surprise that the worst 3 years of the Pats drafting under BB happened when Pioli had the most control.

We can all see what an empty suit he is by what he did in KC. Nothing against him personally but he was way out of his depth as a GM. No thanks.

I say we hire both ASAP!

It tickled my Dark Side to hear the rest of the NFL whining that the McDaniels hiring last year was somehow cheating. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey