PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you want Pioli and/or Crennel back?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you take 'em back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If you were in BB's shoes, and they came asking for jobs (DC for Crennel, his old job for Pioli), would you give it to them?

I'm torn on Crennel, but would say no to Pioli.

#2 in this poll should win hands down Yes to Crennel and like drugs No to Pioli.

I like Crennel and think he is a very good DC, but I said neither because I would like to see Matt Patricia stay on in that position.

No to both.

They should take a break and figure out where it all went wrong.

I voted no on both. Don't see either as an upgrade to what we have, and in Pioli's case it probably represents a significant downgrade.

I voted no to both returning as well.

Last year, it made sense to bring Josh back into the fold as O'Brien was leaving for Penn State, so the transition would be as easy as possible.

Patricia isn't up for another job and the Reese/Caserio/Belichick trio of evaluating talent seems to be doing a fine job, so why mess up the dynamic?

No to both. Pioli is a no because the Pats have been doing great in the personell department since he left. Crennel is harder to say no to but I am curious to see where this defense is now both in the playoffs and next season.

I dunna know....

I think highly of both RAC and Pioli.

I also think highly of Patricia and the Reese/Caserio combo. They've done a good job.

obligatory "can they play corner?" comment.

I don't think Belichick and Crennel are buddies. so I say no. I don't think they are enemies either. I just remember reporters noting that even though BB and Crennel were standing right next to each other at a NFL coaches function a few years ago, they didn't acknowledge one another from the moment Romeo came into the room yucking it up with Mangini. Mangini obviously ignored BB's presence just a few feet away, but so did Crennel.

Both Crennel and Pioli are currently better at their old jobs than their successors. However, both successors are young, learning, and doing well enough that they deserve to be left in place.

Last edited:
I would say yes to both but under the right circumstances. And IMO those do not exist. I would say that we are in pretty good shape both in the personell department and on the defensive side of the ball. I think that from a personell perspective the last few years BB/Caserio/Reese trio has done excellent and unless 2 of them are leaving I dont see where Pioli brings much value. From the defensive side of things I am not going to ignore Crennell as at this point in time I would have to say he is a better DC than Patricia but its not like Patricia hasnt had his own success he has managed to make a last ranked defense improve on 2 consecutive seasons masking its problems while getting the best of what he has. But then you also have a guy like Pepper too who IMO deserves the next crack at DC if and when Patricia moves own.

I'm sure Pioli is still as smart as he was when he was here. He probably just didn't have anyone in KC to bounce ideas off of like he did when he worked with Belichick. He was a big part of our organization when we won 3 SBs and I don't think he just got dumber just by eating a few more KC BBQs.

Same with Crennel. I'm sure he can still be a really good defensive coach or coordinator. I don't think he's a HC in a sense that he can manage defense, offense, and special teams and be effective, like when he is when he is solely the defensive coordinator though.

Voted yes to both, but not at their old positions. More like advisory roles.

Both Crennel and Pioli are currently better at their old jobs than their successors. However, both successors are young, learning, and doing well enough that they deserve to be left in place.

Pretty much exactly what my sentiments are though one could argue that the trio of BB/Caserio/Reese might be trending to be better than Pioli. Hard to argue that Pioli helped build the 3 out of 4 but I dont feel like he had a set of drafts like these last 3 appear to have been. I guess one could argue Patricia is working with less talent than Romeo too but either way the my end point is the exact same that the people in place are young, learning, and doing more than a well enough job that they should be left in place.

Well this is easy and the answer is a big NO. Patricia was promoted to DC and the pats have hit the draft like no other lately with Caserio at the helm. I mean Gronk,Hern,Spikes,Hightower,Jones,Denard. And this is coming from someone that criticizes this team on 06-09 draft. So I don't see how anybody can say yes to this unless it's some other role for both.

Change for the sake of change? No thank you.

Last edited:
I think it would be good for all parties to stay away from each other.

After all, isn't the main reason why Crennel and Pioli leaving in the first place so that they could remove themselves from the BB shadow. If they come back and excel then it will be BB who continues to get all the praise.

I'm sure Pioli is still as smart as he was when he was here. He probably just didn't have anyone in KC to bounce ideas off of like he did when he worked with Belichick. He was a big part of our organization when we won 3 SBs and I don't think he just got dumber just by eating a few more KC BBQs.

I think if you look at some of the talent on the roster it is evident that he still had it as a talent evaluator I would say his big mistake from that end was taking Cassell with him but that also got derailed by Cassell getting hurt too often too quickly there. But to me what was really his undoing was one of his first decisions there which he had no part in here which was the coach he got to work with. Haley just couldnt cut it and from there it was all pretty much down hill from there.

I think it is real interesting that this was a "mutual decision" made after they found there new head coach. Too me that says that they may have actually been ready to move forward with Pioli but when they were able to land a big fish like Reid who has earned full control it was it for him. I think the back up plan to landing a big fish would have been to try and find someone else from a similar mold (Parcells/BB tree) and continue with what was started. In the end I think they are making the right choice for their Franchise as they need something like this that cant really be questioned to add some strenght back to the front office and let the players know who is control instead of skipping past Haley to talk to Pioli.

I like and respect both but don't see a place for them. The team has moved on and they should stick with those in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes