PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you want a Pats vs Giants Rematch Superbowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arubin

On the Roster
Reaction score
I still am really not over 2007. I think this is Coughlin's last year and I really want a rematch against them. I think that is the only way I will feel ok about it all. What do you guys think?

i dont think ill ever feel good about 07 unless we ever go 19-0, and if we did i could care less who the opponent is

but as things stand right now, i want to face the best team we can in the SB, b/c i think this team can take anyone

i want us to face either the eagles or the falcons at this rate, since it seems those two teams are the class of the NFC right now

if the giants make it so be it, there will be a slight revenge factor, but even if we faced them and beat them, even handily, it would not bring back 19-0....

I want the Pats to beat the best That means IND and PGH in Foxboro and NO in the SB. No dog faking please.

What's wrong with a rematch against the Rams?

Wow, i just want to win the Superbowl and don't care how we do it. When people look back on it, no one is going to really notice how good the competition was. I'd rather the easiest schedule possible as long as we win. Whatever gets us the best % of winning it all.

If we were to get to the Super Bowl, the only other team I would want to make it other than the Saints would be the Giants. I would prefer the Giants out of the two.

49ers, Rams or Seahawks

YES.jpg

Chicken Littles with no balls will pick average sides on inflated probabilities of winning and the sole objective of winning said game.

I prefer to beat the best at their best in the biggest occasion there is. Every single person of elite performance thinks that way.

Last edited:
I'll never get over 07 but I don't hold a grudge against the Giants.

As a football fan I want to see us beat the best (NO or ATL)....

but as a Pats fan I would like this:

Divisional round - Jags :D

AFCCG - Chiefs :D:D

SB - Rams or Seahawks :D:D:D

Here's my take on it. In 2003, the Red Sox were 5 outs away from going to the World Series. Then they collapsed, at Yankee Stadium. I never cried over the outcome of a sporting event until that night. It's still the only time that's ever happened, and as fellow Boston sports fans can attest, we've experienced some pretty brutal defeats since that time as well, including SB 42. I felt like that would haunt me for the rest of my life the same way those old enough to remember '86 felt every time they relived that Game 6 against the Mets.

But then 2004 happened, and it was magical. They defeated the Yankees in historic fashion, and then swept the Cardinals (a familiar WS foe) to end "the curse". It's not only that the Sox won the WS but it's also the way that they did it that completely provided closure. It allowed Pedro Martinez and Tim Wakefield, two of the greatest Red Sox of all-time, to be taken off the hook as goats from that 2003 ALCS and get the WS rings they deserved.

Now...

Consider the 2007 Patriots. That was as an emotionally charged season as I've ever experienced following any Boston sports team. It was truly us against the world for the whole year. We Pats fans developed a bunker mentality which, for me at least, made the season bittersweet. The Pats were blowing teams out and it was great, but instead of being lauded for it, they were scrutinized in a way that no other team would have. There was so much vitriol from both sides that it took away some of the fun for me. The only thing that would have made it satisfying would have been 19-0. It would be us getting the last laugh. Unfortunately, we all remember how that ended. And let me tell you I hated the world for it. I'm still incredibly bitter about it and still look at anything that reminds me of that game without feeling down. I want so bad for those demons to be exorcised.

Having said that, I'm not without perspective.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/77475-hats-off-patriots.html

The next SB win will be extra sweet because our last SB reminded us what it looks like when we get our teeth kicked in. It's easier to savor a championship when it doesn't seem like it's a foregone conclusion. SB 42 (and everything that happened since then) humbled the hell out of me. Nothing will remove the scar of 2007, but any SB win in the future would make a huge difference in morale. After all, in the end, it's the Lombardi trophy we're after, everything before that are just details. But anything short of an actual 19-0 season would make it tough to sweep 2007 under the rug the same way I was able to with 2003 in baseball. It's still hard seeing some of my favorite ex-Patriots, Junior Seau and Randy Moss, not get their championship moment, to atone the way Pedro and Wake were.

Last edited:
YES.jpg

Chicken Littles with no balls will pick average sides on inflated probabilities of winning and the sole objective of winning said game.

I prefer to beat the best at their best in the biggest occasion there is.

Every single person of elite performance thinks that way.

PERFECT.

I don't bear a grudge against the Giants, either ~ Refs are another matter ~ but I would LOVE to Square Books with those @#$%&. :D

That being said, I would be VERY surprised if that crew made it all that way.

Coach Coughlin suffers from SchottenHeimeritis.

It was Coach Spagnuolo who made that happen, that year.

And he ain't around.

Absolutely, but not just for the fact that they beat us in SB XLII,

It's incredibly tough to make it to the Super Bowl, so I think it would be awesome just to be back. I don't really care who the opponent is as long as we make it.

That being said though, there is probably a bit of the revenge factor in it for me too!

PERFECT.

I don't bear a grudge against the Giants, either ~ Refs are another matter ~ but I would LOVE to Square Books with those @#$%&. :D

That being said, I would be VERY surprised if that crew made it all that way.

Coach Coughlin suffers from SchottenHeimeritis.

It was Coach Spagnuolo who made that happen, that year.

And he ain't around.

You're a better person than I.

I still remember the Giants arriving in Arizona with funeral garb on (they admitted it was "for the death of the Patriots' season"). I remember the smugness of all those New York fans pissing on our graves, celebrating the Patriots' defeat more than their team's victory (18-1 chants). Strahan gloating about stomping on the Patriots in the parade. I could tell you that when the Pats won SB 36, it was never about Rams schadenfreude, and all about OMFG WE ACTUALLY WON THE SB!!!

I don't begrudge the Giants team themselves. It was a remarkable performance and one that I'm sure we'd all have appreciated much more if it didn't come at our expense. But the Giants still represent that moment in time when I hated everybody who dogpiled on the Patriots all season and got to have the last laugh, a moment that never stops being unfair to me. It also allowed NY fans to get their mojo back, and it wasn't long after that we saw the MFY win the WS. THAT is why I carry the grudge. The Giants were enablers of all this bad Boston sports baggage that we're carrying around today and I delight in seeing them CRUSHED at every opportunity.

Pats/Giants Superbowl rematch? Why not? I'm good with that. I'm good with Patriots vs [NFC Champion]. I would like to see them beat the Eagles again though. Mostly because of how good everyone on the tv says they are. I would rather have them defeat the best NFC team instead of one who lucked into the SB.

Pats/Giants Superbowl rematch? Why not? I'm good with that. I'm good with Patriots vs [NFC Champion]. I would like to see them beat the Eagles again though. Mostly because of how good everyone on the tv says they are. I would rather have them defeat the best NFC team instead of one who lucked into the SB.
My preference would be to see the following

1. Patriots vs NFC Champions (Atlanta Falcons as the #1 seed) - best versus best
2. Patriots vs Giants (not only does it stuff the Jets into further New York oblivion but when we beat the Giants a big FU to New York as a whole right after signing Gonzo and Crawford)
3. Patriots vs Eagles (I want to see Jerod Mayo decapitate Michael Vick and Devin McCourty perform a Mortal Kombat fatality on DeSean Jackson)
4. Patriots vs Saints (if the Patriots have to lose a Superbowl I would prefer it was to the Saints)

I don't want it to be the Giants because I don't want to spend 2 weeks listening to the media beat the SB42 storyline into the ground. That said, if it is the Giants, I hope the Pats thrash them extra hard, and I would enjoy the hell out of it. I'm rooting for Saints or Eagles. If it's the Eagles, at least half of America will grudgingly root for the Pats since they hate Vick, and it'll mess with Steelers fans if the Eagles win. OTOH, I just like the Saints, and it would be nice to have the Pats go in as straight up villains to most people.

Last edited:
I'm still aggravated that the Sox lost the 1986 World Series and that Glen Wesley missed an open net.

I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll say it, all I want is the Patriots in the Super Bowl, who they face doesn't matter to me at all, I truly believe that if the Patriots make it there, they will win it, no matter who's there. Having said that, A Giants crushing in da Bowl would be sweet! As long as the same refereeing crew isn't there to NOT call the three holding penalties that was so obvious at the end. :cool:
umm, ok I do have a bitter taste about that, :mad:

yes.....and I'm almost certain we won't see another "helmet catch"

I would love a Pats/Giants rematch, especially if they spot us 28 points in the 4th quarter! ;)

Seriously, a rematch, and a win, of course, would take away the sting a little bit. I don't think the G-Men are going to make the post season, though, after that debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes