PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade W.McGahee for Chad Johnson?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Trade W.McGahee for C.Johnson

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In my three player keeper league I currently have Willis McGahee, Thomas Jones, and Randy Moss.

I have the second pick in the upcoming draft in which players like Travis Henry, Laurence Maroney, and Edgerrin James are available.

If you were me, would you trade Willis McGahee for Chad Johnson and then draft one of the three RBs mentioned?

I would, definitely... McGahee is a second-tier running back, not up there with the REALLY big talents like LJ, LT, Alexander (possibly again,) etc. Not even up there with the Frank Gores and Willie Parkers who would round out the top 10 draft positions in a year-by-year league. Whereas Chad Johnson is going to be a stud receiver this year and for years to come. I know you get lots of carries in Baltimore (that's where W McGahee landed, right?) but we don't really know that McGahee's style will work in an offense that thrived with big bruiser Jamal Lewis.

Moss, on the other hand, needs to go, you homer. It's a keeper league, and he's only got so much tread left on the tires. You plan to still be in that league in 3 years? Then get some owner of a 3rd year receiver who had a great rookie year, then a slight downturn in year 2, to trade with you, now.

He'll be expecting an incredible year from Moss, which is unlikely in a spread offense. And after this year, Moss is a huge question mark. If he stays w/the Pats, he'll have solid years (as I believe this year will prove to be.) But he may never be a first tier fantasy guy again, because the Pats don't produce those.

Just 1 man's opinion.

PFnV

I'd do it, but only if I'm very confident in getting Maroney. Edge and Henry don't do it for me. I'd be confident in my league since there are no Pats homers, but that might not be your situation. Amongst Pats homers, Maroney might be the top pick.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. How did Moss end up one of your three keepers? Seriously, you had nobody better as a third keeper?

Last edited:
I'd do it, then I would draft Henry. Behind that Denver o line, he should post 1500 and 8-12 td's.

I'd do it, but only if I'm very confident in getting Maroney. Edge and Henry don't do it for me. I'd be confident in my league since there are no Pats homers, but that might not be your situation. Amongst Pats homers, Maroney might be the top pick.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. How did Moss end up one of your three keepers? Seriously, you had nobody better as a third keeper?

Agreed. Maroney is the only standout there. Henry's been injury prone and inconsistant. Edge hasn't proven he can produce in Arizona. In a three player keeper I'd think RB's would be hard to come by in the draft. Have you tried asking the #1 pick what they would want to move up? Given that you have 3 keepers the #1 pick shouldn't be that valuable.

Chad Johnson is a known value, McGahee has big boom and bust potential.

I wouldn't do the trade, the emergence of TJ Houshmenzadeh hurts Johnson's value, and I think Willis is in for a comeback year behind a better O-line. Don't forget how awful Buffalo's line was last year (as evidenced by the ridiculous sums they paid for 2 marginal guards). All things being equal RBs are more valuable than WR anyway (depending on your point system I suppose). I'd agree that you may be overvaluing Moss, the Pats have too many weapons for him to have a huge year. Good luck!

Do it. MgGahee and the other 3 RB's are a wash, while Chad Johnson is the top 1 or 2 reciever in Fantasy. I think Henry, if healthy, is going to have a monster season.

You're nuts if you don't................. I'd also go after Henry first (he's gonna to well this year), then Jones, then Edge (Ari. gonna be a pass team this year). Hell there are 3-4 other that woud fit the bill too. CJ is money, specially with Palmer throwing the rock. Palmer is gonna rebound this year in a bigger way 2 year out from the injury.

I would definietely do that. Maroney has the potiential to be better than MacGahee Jones and Edge could do that as well. You are going to get great numbers with Johnson and get good numbers from one of those three backs. go for it.

Yup pull the trigger on Chad Johnson. He will be a stud #1 WR. Then draft Henry or Maroney. I'm not even sure if McGahee is better than those guys will be this year to be honest.

I wouldn't do the trade, the emergence of TJ Houshmenzadeh hurts Johnson's value, and I think Willis is in for a comeback year behind a better O-line. Don't forget how awful Buffalo's line was last year (as evidenced by the ridiculous sums they paid for 2 marginal guards). All things being equal RBs are more valuable than WR anyway (depending on your point system I suppose). I'd agree that you may be overvaluing Moss, the Pats have too many weapons for him to have a huge year. Good luck!

Gotta disagree. TJ's emergence means that Chad Johnson will face fewer double teams. Which is great for fantasy owners.

All you have to do is look at the great duos like Harrison/Wayne and Fitzgerald/Boldin to know that great receiving duos make each other better.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back