PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade up to get Rey Maualuga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to search out my thoughts on Maualuga prior to his getting pancaked by Shawn Nelson.

everyone has their moments.............what would have happened to merriman in the draft if he had been rag-dolled by jones-drew in the senior bowl the way he was in the NFL? nothing

everyone has their moments.............what would have happened to merriman in the draft if he had been rag-dolled by jones-drew in the senior bowl the way he was in the NFL? nothing
Please note my use of the word "prior."

He is NOT a Three Down Linebacker. Two at Best. He's Over-Rated. The only USC LB worth a hoot is Matthews.

He is NOT a Three Down Linebacker. Two at Best. He's Over-Rated. The only USC LB worth a hoot is Matthews.

he still has the ability to make a Jerimiah Trotter impact but I wouldnt use a first round pick on him, especially since our pass defense is already weak

I would rather go for a cushing or Matthews but I have a gut feeling they are going to trade the pick or go with OL

If they get a 1st round pick for Cassel and a third round pick for Samuel (which most people are projecting), they will probably trade up for an impact player. In fact, you can bank on it! Who that is, I have no idea. They could potentially have 2 picks in the first three rounds! Trading up for Maualuga could give them that brick wall run defender they have been lacking since Ted Johnson left. Maualuga reminds me a lot of Ted Johnson. The Pats should dominate this draft if they can pull of that Cassel for 1st round pick and a 3rd for Samuel.

This will be a very exciting offseason!

The Cleveland beat writer seems to think that if Curry is gone, Maualuga could be their pick at #5:

Hey, Tony: With a top-five pick comes a heavy burden of paying a lot of money to players that, often in the Browns' case, turns into huge busts. 1. Is there a linebacker (which the Browns should absolutely take in the first round) worth selecting with the fifth pick? 2. Would it be a good idea for the Browns to trade the pick for some lower ones and fill more of the gaping holes? -- Brian Carlin, Conshohocken, Pa.

Hey, Brian: Sure, the prudent thing to do would be to trade down a few notches and collect an extra pick. But easier said than done, my friend. If they stay at No. 5, I'm leaning toward USC's Rey Maualuga, even though conventional wisdom is you don't take an inside linebacker that high.
---

Kind of high for Maualuga, not to mention two LBs going top 5 is unheard of.

No. Absolutely not.

Simon, I actually agree with you. I would not trade up for Rey. Clay Matthews who has been said by many, might be a better pro than the other SC LB core. He is faster than Cushing in 40 speed. He flys to the ball. He is 247 lbs and could project as a ILB. He is also a superb ST player as BB appreciates that value. He could last till our SD pick. I believe BB coached his father.

If a certain Ohio St. LB fell to #23 I would consider him though. Unless you prefer a top CB in D.J. Moore. Kind of like Smith from Utah who can play CB and safety.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back