PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Tom Brady for 1st pick next year to snag USC's Matt Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is like fine win, he just gets better with age. No chance you would trade him.

I think Barkley is a real good one though but its still not even remotely close to an option.

Hellllllllllllllll no

only after I fired BB and asked the Seahawks for permission to hire Pete Carroll back.

This is the most foolish post I have seen in this forum ever.. Even if we lusted after Barkley like no other prospect ever I'm sure we could figure out a way to get him without giving up arguably the best QB to ever take a NFL field.

tumblr_lzzbua608I1r49612.gif

Two reactions:

1) How could this possibly happen with Brady's contract?

Brady commands $21.8 million against the cap in both 2013 and 2014 - 43.6 million for two years at ages 36 and 37. Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck got $22.1 million for four years - $14.5 guaranteed with options for a fifth year. The #1 pick in the draft now has tremendous economic value. This isn't baseball where you can ship a guy out and pay money that doesn't count against the cap.

2) Trading Brady for the heir apparent is something I would do if the heir was ten years younger and in Brady's area code talent wise.

Do you trade Brady before next season for Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford?

Brady could be the guy who gets the Falcons, Rams or Lions over the hump to a championship while the Pats get back comparable salary burden. The Pats would probably have to take on a bloated salary or two as well. Joe Montana had a good one-year run to the playoffs with the Chiefs. Brady could do the same in one of these other cities that just can't get over the hump.

I'd do it.

The big question at the current salary cap is do the Patriots cut $13 million worth of salary to keep a 36-year-old Brady? This is a very tough situation for the Krafts and Brady.

Last edited:
Matt Leinart, John David Booty, Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez

uhhhhhhhhhh

No

10 char

NO.

only option for brady to leave is wanting to leave on his own. if it was up to me i'd give him a contract till the age of 50.

I assume that was a typo, but I just might have to add it to my Sig!! :D :rocker:

Personally, I think that fine wins age even better than fine wines. I mean I've never taken as much pleasure in a bottle of wine, no matter how expensive or heralded, as I can take right now in thinking back on the moment when AV's kick cleared the uprights to end SB XXXVI...ahhhh.

:eat1:

Two reactions:

1) How could this possibly happen with Brady's contract?

Brady commands $21.8 million against the cap in both 2013 and 2014 - 43.6 million for two years at ages 36 and 37. Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck got $22.1 million for four years - $14.5 guaranteed with options for a fifth year. The #1 pick in the draft now has tremendous economic value. This isn't baseball where you can ship a guy out and pay money that doesn't count against the cap.

2) Trading Brady for the heir apparent is something I would do if the heir was ten years younger and in Brady's area code talent wise.

Do you trade Brady before next season for Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford?

Brady could be the guy who gets the Falcons, Rams or Lions over the hump to a championship while the Pats get back comparable salary burden. The Pats would probably have to take on a bloated salary or two as well. Joe Montana had a good one-year run to the playoffs with the Chiefs. Brady could do the same in one of these other cities that just can't get over the hump.

I'd do it.

The big question at the current salary cap is do the Patriots cut $13 million worth of salary to keep a 36-year-old Brady? This is a very tough situation for the Krafts and Brady.

The 3 names you suggested here are the cap hits.

Bradford cap #'s 12.5,17.6 and 16.5 in 13,14,15.
Stafford cap #'s 20.3,19.3,17.7 in 13,14,15
Ryan cap #'s 10.0 UFA in 2014

In other words I stick with Brady.

There are certain guys who should never be traded, if you trade them bad things happen to the franchise, Russell, Orr, Williams, Bird and Brady fall into this category. The Bruins were punished by the sports gods for many years for trading B Orr, you don't want to p*ss off the sports gods.

So Brady stays, no to anyone named Barkley. Charles or Matt.

I want Tom to get 4 SB rings in the next 5 years, so he has more SB wins than any other franchise.

Let's go big here.

Not to nit but Orr wasn't traded he was signed as a free agent by the Black Hawks.

The 3 names you suggested here are the cap hits.

Bradford cap #'s 12.5,17.6 and 16.5 in 13,14,15.
Stafford cap #'s 20.3,19.3,17.7 in 13,14,15
Ryan cap #'s 10.0 UFA in 2014

In other words I stick with Brady.

Thank you for doing the salary part. For me that makes it even more of a lock that I'd trade Brady.

You'd pay 36-year-old Tom Brady $21.3 million rather than use $9 million of that on other guys and have 26-year-old Sam Bradford at QB next season. I wouldn't.

Matty Ice Ryan is a better deal but not as sure a bet as a winner at age 28 to start next year.

Matthew Stafford is the youngest and the surest thing, I think. In a minute I would trade Brady at 36-years-old for Stafford at 25-years-old. You'd save just under $3 million in salary and take a giant step in having the QB of the future.

Thank you for doing the salary part. For me that makes it even more of a lock that I'd trade Brady.

You'd pay 36-year-old Tom Brady $21.3 million rather than use $9 million of that on other guys and have 26-year-old Sam Bradford at QB next season. I wouldn't.

Matty Ice Ryan is a better deal but not as sure a bet as a winner at age 28 to start next year.

Matthew Stafford is the youngest and the surest thing, I think. In a minute I would trade Brady at 36-years-old for Stafford at 25-years-old. You'd save just under $3 million in salary and take a giant step in having the QB of the future.

What you are forgetting is if your trade Brady you would have a cap hit of him right away of 23,650,000 for the 2013 season. On top of your cap hit for lets use Stafford. Remember all pro-rated bonuses come due the moment you trade or release him. So that money you think you are saving you are not.

So in 2013 you would have a cap hit for QB's $43,950,000. You would totally screw up your team and would feel that for years to come.

You're insane. Brady is not only a great player but he is a marketing machine for the Patriots. He is the type of player you keep here because it is good for the franchise.

We are talking about likely the most notable NFL player. Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan will never bring the x-factors that Brady does.

Brady is someone who will represent the New England Patriots for decades after he retires. Hall of Fame, mentoring, recruiting,

You need to remember the NFL is a business and there is more to it then just the game. Brady is a winner for us on and off the field.

What you are forgetting is if your trade Brady you would have a cap hit of him right away of 23,650,000 for the 2013 season. On top of your cap hit for lets use Stafford. Remember all pro-rated bonuses come due the moment you trade or release him. So that money you think you are saving you are not.

So in 2013 you would have a cap hit for QB's $43,950,000. You would totally screw up your team and would feel that for years to come.

No you wouldn't. Not even close. You're saying that the team that signs the contract can never get out of a contract in a trade? Where on earth did you get that idea?

Brady restructured his deal such that nothing is guaranteed past this year.

Per NBC's pro football site Even Tom Brady is working year to year | ProFootballTalk

"The Patriots can release Brady without consequence at any time before the fifth day of the 2013 league year. If they don’t, his $9.75 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed. (He also is due to receive a $5 million roster bonus on June 15, and a $250,000 workout bonus.)

Then, if Brady is on the roster for the last game of the 2013 season, his base salary of $9.75 million for 2014 becomes fully guaranteed."

When Brady restructured, he understood the cap, the dead money on 2012 and the need to sign his receiving corps. His restructure made it possible tag Welker, extend Hernandez and Gronkowski and pay Lloyd.

The Pats have multiple incentives to re-structure again before 2013, trade or release Brady depending on the 2013 cap. Brady has reasons to keep his cap hit reasonable so the team can keep a quality team around him. He also has leverage in this deal to extend and guarantee more money.

You're insane. Brady is not only a great player but he is a marketing machine for the Patriots. He is the type of player you keep here because it is good for the franchise.

We are talking about likely the most notable NFL player. Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan will never bring the x-factors that Brady does.

Brady is someone who will represent the New England Patriots for decades after he retires. Hall of Fame, mentoring, recruiting,

You need to remember the NFL is a business and there is more to it then just the game. Brady is a winner for us on and off the field.

I agree with you about Brady's intangibles. But Tom Brady is 35-years-old. It is time for succession planning.

Think about the San Francisco 49ers and their trade for Steve Young. If you think Ryan Mallett is Steve Young, we're all set. If not, it's time to find the next guy.

The Krafts and Belichick (and Brady) have to be looking down the road - this year's cutdown and signings indicate they are. The oldest guy on the team is Tom Brady - everybody knows that.

Brady's legacy will always be the Pats no matter what happens from here on out - just as Joe Montana is synonymous with the 49ers and Bill Walsh. No worries there.

I agree with you about Brady's intangibles. But Tom Brady is 35-years-old. It is time for succession planning.

Think about the San Francisco 49ers and their trade for Steve Young. If you think Ryan Mallett is Steve Young, we're all set. If not, it's time to find the next guy.

The Krafts and Belichick (and Brady) have to be looking down the road - this year's cutdown and signings indicate they are. The oldest guy on the team is Tom Brady - everybody knows that.

Brady's legacy will always be the Pats no matter what happens from here on out - just as Joe Montana is synonymous with the 49ers and Bill Walsh. No worries there.

I do think Mallet has upside. Aaron Rodger had significant struggles when he was backing up in Green Bay. Now I know its extremely ambitious to believe Mallet is Aaron Rodgers 2.0... But I think that we do have time to find a successor to work behind Brady.

I do think that we have the time to watch Mallets development for 1-2 more seasons because I would expect to see Brady here for 3-5 before we need to move to successor plan number 2.

I think the ideal situation would be to develop enough hype for Mallet that someone would offer a #1 pick for him and then combine that with are own #1 and move up in the draft in 2015 or 2016 and take the top quarterback then.

If we are going to start over I would rather do it with the youngest option.

Either way we have to be realistic with the fact that we will be stepping back without Brady no matter how perfect the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes