PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Tom Brady for 1st pick next year to snag USC's Matt Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in time to test out the new ignore thread option

Anyways if we really wanted that 1st overall pick we could've just traded Hoyer for it, duh

No
No
No
No
No
No
No

the-girl-who-cant-say-no1.jpg

no i would not. Barkley projects to be a good QB, but nothing is for certain. I just look at Matt Leinart as proof that nothing is for sure.

Exactly, How is Tebow working out. All I ever heard during the "Tebow" Pre Draft years. Blah, Blah Blah. We put an end to last last season. Now he's just Jest fodder...:bricks:

No. Wouldn't even think twice about it. There's a very good chance that Brady has more years in front of him as an elite NFL QB than Barkley does.

Plus, in general I tend to assume the worst about USC star quarterbacks. Everyone thought Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Mark Sanchez were going to be amazing too. Granted, Barkley looks considerably better than Sanchez did in college (the other two played before I moved out here), but let someone else take that risk.

Last edited:
For me I wouldn't trade Brady for anything he has everything I want in a quarterback most you can't measure like heart and passion the fire he has to be the best.you don't find that!I love winning as much as the next guy but when Brady hangs them up I can take some rebuilding years because I witnessed greatness and he was on my team.

Tom E Curran, twitter tag @tomecurran , Asked the question today, would you trade brady for 1st pick next year to pick barkley? Matt Barkley is a helluva quarterback and for sure he looks to be a great QB but what would you do knowing that brady is in the twilight of his career? Do you keep him? or do an indianapolis colts move and try to think about the future?

I honestly would think about it before committing to it. because there aren't that many qb's out there in college football who even come close to being like matt barkley. Thoughts?

Matt Leinhart. Brady Quinn. Mark Sanchez.

All were touted as "great QBs" about this time of the season they were drafted. And we know what has happened since.. All three are BUSTS..

NO! NO! NO!

I would trade a 38 year old Brady for the #1 overall pick to grab an Andrew Luck type of prospect. Otherwise, no.

This exactly. I was going to say something similar.

Andrew Luck would be worth the shot perhaps...but there isn't another one of him, really. Luck is the best prospect to come down the pike in a long, long time. You'd have to have your head examined to trade Brady at this point. Brady just had his second best year IMO. He's as good as he's ever been.

Basically, the guy is gold at the most important position in all of sports.

Matt Leinhart. Brady Quinn. Mark Sanchez.

All were touted as "great QBs" about this time of the season they were drafted. And we know what has happened since.. All three are BUSTS..

NO! NO! NO!

brady quinn was at notre dame. but yeah i def get your point. It definitely was a topic that i never saw discussed. good to see peoples opinions.

Yeah, no.

Brady should probably sustain his arguably unprecedented Elite Level for the next 4 years...and I wouldn't put it past him to make that 6, or even more, as he is extremely dedicated to'is kraft.

Why not? That degenerate, Brett Favre, played at an high level at 40.

Why shouldn't Tom Brady, he of a far more admirable dedication to physical fitness?

So, yeah: with a solid shot at having the face of the franchise ~ who happens to be one of the very greatest QB's of all time, and who I believe will widely be considered the clear #1 by the time he's done racking up Championships ~ play at an high level for another 6 years or so...I'd have to say that trading him at all at this point would be unspeakably stupid.

There are certain guys who should never be traded, if you trade them bad things happen to the franchise, Russell, Orr, Williams, Bird and Brady fall into this category. The Bruins were punished by the sports gods for many years for trading B Orr, you don't want to p*ss off the sports gods.

So Brady stays, no to anyone named Barkley. Charles or Matt.

I want Tom to get 4 SB rings in the next 5 years, so he has more SB wins than any other franchise.

Let's go big here.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone on here loves Barkley as much as I do. I think he has the best pocket awareness of any college QB I've seen and he actually reminds me of Brady in that regard. He has decent arm strength, good accuracy and already makes pro throws. I actually had him rated higher than both Luck and RG3 last draft, so this is probably a tougher decision for me than most. But even then its an easy no. As Froob said this team is ready to win now, so a straight swap doesn't make sense. If it was an RG3 type package with three 1's and two 2's I would certainly consider it, but straight up no way. However, if we could get Barkley for Mallet and our 1st this year would make that trade in a heartbeat. I think Barkley will be a superstar.

Look in all seriousness i will ignore the premise of a brady for luck swap and treat this as a Barkley and XYZ deal.

You offer # 1 pick next year then 2 other 1's and 2 other 2's then that is a deal where u can go and have a think as everyone has their price. But don't kid yourself that those 1's will be top 10 they will probably be in the 30's same with those 2's, brady is a winner and always will be.

Nothing against Barkley but Brady is a top 5 QB of all time and healthy and still in his prime just look at his numbers with the team we had last year.

Well if I was playing Madden, I would make that trade. Because in Madden player progression is predictable.

But in the real world, you cannot know beforehand how someone will develop or when a player will reach his ceiling or even where his ceiling is. For all we know, Mallet might have higher ceiling than either Luck or Barkley and he might even come in next year and replace Brady in the OTA/TC/Preseason by superior play. Not likely, but not impossible either. Because real football is not the same as Madden.

Therefore, I would not make the trade mentioned in the topic, unless I was playing Madden.

Thought on the eve of the season this silliness would stop.. just stop!!!!!

This is an June thread...

Maybe if said team were willing to trade the 1st overall pick, their 2nd, and 3rd round pick, plus their 1st round and 2nd round pick for the next 3 years, I might consider it for a nanosecond. Otherwise-

HvXNG.gif

Matt Barkley, like most USC QB's before him is going to be a below-average NFL player and with the likelihood he goes #1 overall, will be a bust. Every USC game I've seen nothing he's done has stood out to me that screams NFL superstar in the making.

No thanks, I'll keep Brady.

If Brady wears that cinched trench coat with the wide flair collar one more time to a post game presser, I say ship him to Cleveland for two goats and a knockoff man purse

Now we know that the "E" in Tom E Curran is not Einstein.

PleaseMakeItStop.jpg

The season has started you know? Stupid, pointless speculation threads are out of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back